Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

The best thing I think is to just give money to a place that is legit like the Rescue Mission or Salvation Army. If you give money even to to one you think is legit but standing in traffic, it just encourages more of that. It's great to be charitable but it's not necessary to have this on every street corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
I am reminded of this blog post (with photo)-
I've been scammed by a babe but I got her photo

Rob Manuel » Blog Archive » I’ve been scammed in the street but I’ve got her photo (http://www.robmanuel.com/2009/07/12/ive-been-scammed-in-the-street-but-ive-got-her-photo/ - broken link)

Quote:
6 o clock, me and my son are about 2 minutes from the house in Kentish Town and a woman calls out from a car.

“I wouldn’t normally ask a stranger but my car is nearly on empty and I need £3 to get enough petrol to get home.”

Is she a scam? I weigh her up - she’s not asking for much money and she’s also attractive and is displaying a lot of skin. I figure sod it, give her the money, if she’s a crim then I’ve got a story I can blog and if she’s not, well I’ve got a story that not everyone is a bull**** con artist.

I look in my wallet, I’ve only got £10 so I give her that. I say, “This can be an experiment in giving money to strangers. But can I take your photo?”

She doesn’t flinch. I say “smile”. I can’t stop myself grinning foolishly, I’m so going to blog this if she doesn’t turn up.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,579,789 times
I think it is a problem here. I know there are those that really need it and the ones who lie and run a scam but it happens a lot. I have been asked for money all over town and in many different situations (too many times). Almost all the exits along the freeway have someone asking not to mention parking lots and even leaving Wal-mart or most stores. I bet they even fight for the "best" locations. Its just too much IMO.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default True story...

Not all are scams. I once had to go to a tool place away from my home on the North side of Houston. It was near lunch time, so after dropping of my Delta Shaper for repair, I went to a Taco Cabana close by.

This guy approached me, hit me up for cash, or change, whatever I could spare. He did not look too raggedy, and looked healthy so I thought it was a scam, and I said no. Expecting some snide remark, I continued, but he said thank you. Okay, I thought he was just playing me. I went inside and wait in line, but I see him hit all others who come into the restaurant. SCAM!

So I am ordering my food, and I was irritated that this homely looking woman and her two kids were holding up the line, they couldn't decide on what they wanted. So she then tells the cashier to cancel the drinks, and tells the guy to wait on the other people.

So, we order, I go and get my Salsa, etc., and wait for my order. The woman and her kids still waiting, looking at the menu. Then the bum walked in and headed to order his food, he tells the guy he thinks he has enough, then the woman softly speaks to the man, but loud enough that we could hear.

The woman told him she got rid of the drinks, and the man sadly looks over to her and asks if she at least wants a coffee.

It was a family. I had recently had a son of my own, so it struck a chord with me. They were just hungry, he did not want the money for booze, he wanted to feed his family, and his little boy and girl who were no more than two and three were just waiting by their mom. Without hesitation, I opened my wallet and gave them the smallest bills I had, which was a little over twenty something dollars, and I walked over to the woman and discretly handed it to her and told her I had a two little kids too. She looked confused and I just said it's okay.

So, moral of this true story, you can't always judge someone on an instant, and as I said before, you need to learn more about them than just seeing them at the corner asking for change.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 PM

121 posts, read 402,371 times
Not much of any social ordinances are enforced in EP. Unless they affect businesses or the wealthiest neighborhoods.

Like the no-cruising-zones around business streets. Ahaha. All this while people ride around in 300 decibel vehicles in residential areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso