Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 PM

27 posts, read 70,586 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just did a trip down to Alpine and Big Bend--It is so awesome down there! There are some beautiful small mountain ranges in the area (Davis Mts., etc.) that I never imagined when I thought of Texas. It feels so spacious and open and free of humans. Has anyone ever lived down there, and how did you eke out a living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
No, I haven't lived there, but I've been there several times. It's my favorite part of Texas, especially the area around McDonald Observatory. Beautiful!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:54 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,561 times
Yes..because I attended Sul Ross State Univ..for a semester..so I know that area!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Yes..because I attended Sul Ross State Univ..for a semester..so I know that area!
Sul Ross State Univ brain drain? Why? Why is everyone leaving Sul Ross?

Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
I've heard so many nice things about that area. I wish I could visit there sometime. Does anybody have any pictures?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
Hi,

I just did a trip down to Alpine and Big Bend--It is so awesome down there! There are some beautiful small mountain ranges in the area (Davis Mts., etc.) that I never imagined when I thought of Texas. It feels so spacious and open and free of humans. Has anyone ever lived down there, and how did you eke out a living?
Well as you said there is not much around that area so earning a living would be very difficult. I hear from a co-worker that it's a great place to retire in though.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM

52 posts, read 159,359 times
I lived in Alpine for 4 LONG boring years. those were the worst years of my life. There's absolutely nothing to do except go to the park or go to school. I was able to get my degree because there was seriously nothing else to do. the professors are awesome and they work with you which is nice.
I moved away about 5 years ago so maybe it's changed but I have nothing but sad memories of that place. Most people (not all) treat you like crap if you're Hispanic (I know from experience...I was treated badly). After I moved, I tried to keep in touch with people I thought were my friends but they never responded to my calls or emails. I didn't bombard them with calls or emails. I sent them my info and left a message with my new number. I called one other time to make sure they received my info but it seemed to me that my calls were being screened. Never heard from them and I never tried back. I got the hint real fast! Surprisingly many of my professors kept in touch and I hear from them once in a while!
The town is super tiny so you could probably walk through the entire town in like 10-20 minutes! Lots of great shops but they get boring after a while. Who wants to see the same things year after year? There's no clothing stores except for Bealls (they had the same clothes displayed the whole time I lived there), and Alco which is a wanna be walmart.
There's not much nearby...the closest Wal Mart is about an hour away. As sad as this may sound, we always looked forward to our trips to Wal Mart!
The area itself (minus the rude people and no fun shopping) is really nice. It's a quiet area and it almost feels like you're living in another world.
I couldn't spend the rest of my life there...It drove me crazy. I think it would be a great area to retire though. It's definitely a slow paced area where there's nothing to do but to watch the days go by.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I'm sure that if one lives there, he will need to make his own entertainment. I could do that, I think, since it's such a great place for amateur astronomy and motorcycle riding, and my ham radio would keep me in touch. As a person who will retire before too many more years, I'm looking at Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis and southern NM as potential places to move to. It surprises me somewhat that Alpine would be prejudiced toward Hispanic people, since they are a considerable part of the population.

Where is the closest Wal-Mart, by the way? There isn't much within an hour's drive.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default My guess would be Marfa?

That is the largest town in that area, so it would make sense anyway.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
The nearest Walmart is Fort Stockton.....65-70 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso