Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfc View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not too worried about the summers, since I've lived in Florida for 4 years. I've heard about the bad traffic as well. Mistabinks I completely agree with you, I know that 30% will go a long way. I also like to travel a lot, so I guess being in Austin I would be better connected to flights. The problem is deep inside I really want to be in Austin, but am having a hard time talking myself out of the extra cash in El Paso.
For a capital city, Austin Bergstrom has truly lousy connections, and I'd pick El Paso's airport over it any day. Even much smaller Midland International with only 3-4 carriers is a much better airport than Austin's. I have never been able to figure out why Bergstrom isn't any better than it is, considering where it is. Austin has a lot of great things about it, but the airport (from my experience in the past) isn't one of them. I haven't flown in a few years, and it may have improved since then, but at that time, I would have picked either of the other two (Midland or El Paso) over Bergstrom. It's really a personal bias on my part--I have just never really liked Bergstrom.

If you really want to be in Austin, though, I guess therein lies your answer....money notwithstanding.

I love both areas, and each has something to offer that the other does not.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 01-09-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:00 PM

722 posts, read 2,102,435 times
I spent 3 years in El Paso and loved it. I grew up in the northeast. If you dont mind driving 8-12 hours you can get to a lot of cities from El Paso. Albuquerque 4 hrs, Denver 9, Phoenix 6, San Diego 10, Vegas 11, LA 12, Dallas 10, Houston 12, San Antonio 8.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM

729 posts, read 2,069,077 times
I have lived in Austin close to 10 years now. As much I love El Paso (my hometown) I believe that you will have more jobs to choose from in Austin if the current one goes bad for you. I dont know what you do but it is rare to get a high paying job (thank you Paso Del Norte Group...you band of slumlords) in El Paso.

If the weather and the traffic does not bother you then I highly recommend Austin.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
pfc pfc started this thread

37 posts, read 54,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
For a capital city, Austin Bergstrom has truly lousy connections, and I'd pick El Paso's airport over it any day. Even much smaller Midland International with only 3-4 carriers is a much better airport than Austin's. I have never been able to figure out why Bergstrom isn't any better than it is, considering where it is. Austin has a lot of great things about it, but the airport (from my experience in the past) isn't one of them. I haven't flown in a few years, and it may have improved since then, but at that time, I would have picked either of the other two (Midland or El Paso) over Bergstrom. It's really a personal bias on my part--I have just never really liked Bergstrom.

If you really want to be in Austin, though, I guess therein lies your answer....money notwithstanding.

I love both areas, and each has something to offer that the other does not.
Cathy thanks for your reply. I don't know about the airports... I looked up a list of direct flights from Austin
Austin-Bergstrom Nonstop Service From Austin

and from El Paso
Non-stop flights from El Paso TX ELP, direct flights from El Paso TX

and it according to these there's about 3 times more direct flights out of Austin than out of El Paso

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Quote:
Cathy thanks for your reply. I don't know about the airports... I looked up a list of direct flights from Austin
Austin-Bergstrom Nonstop Service From Austin

and from El Paso
Non-stop flights from El Paso TX ELP, direct flights from El Paso TX

and it according to these there's about 3 times more direct flights out of Austin than out of El Paso
Then Bergstrom has improved over the last few years.

It also depends on where you want to fly, too. Anyway, good luck in making whatever decision--the cities are so very different from each other, especially weather-wise.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM

938 posts, read 3,508,716 times
Go where you will be happier. What good will the extra money be if you aren't happy? You said both offers are high-paying. so it is not like you would be living in poverty in Austin. Chances are you know the answer to your question already.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Go where you will be happier. What good will the extra money be if you aren't happy? You said both offers are high-paying. so it is not like you would be living in poverty in Austin. Chances are you know the answer to your question already.

I think you hit it right in the nail... Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Then Bergstrom has improved over the last few years.

It also depends on where you want to fly, too. Anyway, good luck in making whatever decision--the cities are so very different from each other, especially weather-wise.

Cathy what's so different about the weather? EP is dryer while Austin is more humid?

thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Malamute thanks for you reply. What's the main difference in weather between El Paso and Austin. Is El Paso dryer during the summers?
El Paso is much less humid in the summers. If you like being outdoors a lot year round, I think El Paso beats just about everywhere. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter -- a very short winter but still some winter for those who like 4 seasons.

I think in Austin you would have to have refrigerated air conditioning which makes for a big electric bill plus I think those are very uncomfortable. When it's 95 degrees in Austin, it would feel like 105 because of the humidity, but when it's 95 degrees in El Paso it would feel like 85 degrees in other places with moderate humidity.

I don't use air conditioners because to me the breezes, open windows and ceiling fans make it comfortable enough in the summer and many people use the swamp coolers which lower the temperature a little and add humidity which sometimes helps when it's scorching dry.

El Paso isn't really a rat race kind of city, it's laid back. One thing I think that helps El Paso is that there aren't any vast areas where it's nothing but buildings after buildings - except a bit in the East side. Much of El Paso is just strips of city wrapped around the mountain and you can see empty space.

The only thing is if you like it green and need to be around many lakes, then Austin would be better.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 16,105 times
Quote:
My wife and I will be moving to either one of these 2 cities soon. We are in our early thirties, no kids yet. (but planning on it very soon). We have high paying job offers in both cities, but significantly more in El Paso (30-40% more). We have been to both cities and while El Paso seemed like a decent city, we fell in love with Austin and everything it has to offer (music, sports, lakes, etc). Would you sacrifice extra-income to live in Austin?
My dear friend, I live here in El Paso, when I move out of here back to the North, I am not going to look back. I have a good job here but it doesn't weight out all this people that drives like crazy, do not have insurance, they think they are better than the rest of americans and great mayority has some kind of entanglement with law enforcement or such.
Is suppose to be the 4th poorest city in the US but can you explain me how come everybody carries hundreds of dollars in their pockets?
regards,
m
If i was you, i will go to Austin, I've been there, love the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso