Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Thanks for the info EnjoyEP, after some research I have narrowed my palms to being either California or Mexican Palms..Can't really tell which kind I got though since they look similar, but I'm leaning towards California Palms since my palms got larger trunks than what I saw on pictures of Mexican palms..but still not 100%
Yeah, I can never quite tell the difference between the Mexican and the Californian either. Some people think it is easy to tell the difference, but I never can.

To make things even more confusing is that sometimes a "Fillibusta" is grown - esentially a mixture of the Mexican and the Californian (like cross-breeding a dog). Usually it seems that Californians have fatter trunks and don't get quite as tall, and Mexicans are skinnier and taller, but even that can be different depending on the tree itself. Either way though, while I would guess yours are Californias, they'll do great for you in EP.

Quote:
I agree Harry, we still got a while to go to catch up to what Phoenix, Tucson, and let say Las Vegas have in palm trees..but its nice to see the palm catching on in El Paso. But yup almost every new shopping center, hotel, restaurant, and even a lot of the new houses are getting them on their front lawns now.
The palms helps the city look a lot nicer IMO.
Believe it or not, I don't think EP is THAT far off from a Phoenix or a Tucson in terms of palms. Sure, Phoenix is far, far bigger so they have more, but literally, you can go almost anywher in EP now and you'll see large, small, and medium sized palms everywhere. Almost any street you walk down, at least 1/2 if not often more of the houses have palms in their landscaping.

Some think that Albuquerque is far more beautiful than EP, but with all of the palms used in the landscaping, I disagree...I think many stores/restaurants/homes in EP are just extremely attractive with their usage of palms in landscaping.

I love when homes plant like 4 in the very front portion of their sidewalk - spaced out in concrete circles - and have spot lights on them for the night-time. Yes...it actually can almost look like somewhere tropical.

Quote:
I will try to get the digital camera and take some pics of some of the palms in the area and post them up soon if time permits me to.
I would love to see them. I have some palm pictures from EP filed away too...I will try to post them when I can retrieve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:37 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
You can always depend on Chuco and EnjoyEP to talk positive about El Paso. The city just gets hammered by certain posters and alot of times rightfully so but its good to hear some good things about the Hometown.

Hope you guys get the Palm trees posted as that would be cool to see. Chuco...do you have any of the Las Palmas shopping center on George Dieter blvd. Phoenix is a very HARD CORE desert city and looks like the desert around EP but with all those Palm Trees all over that city it made it look really tropical...

Also good story this past week about El Paso's new 5 star golf resort that just opened up by the airport (butterfield trail) and now supposed to start construction of the resort hotel. Add the new medical school that Gov.Perry anounced and Ft.Bliss expansion and modernizing and the new inner loop freeway and also the new appartment complexes being built or reciently completed in Northeast and the East side (6 large ones) so good to see something positive amongst all the negative.....

Now if we could just move Elephant Butte Reservoir closer......

Old 06-11-2007, 08:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
Speaking of trees, I love jacaranda trees. They are all over So. Calif. I have never seen one growing around El Paso or Cruces and no nursery has them. Anybody know if they would grow around here?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
Speaking of trees, I love jacaranda trees. They are all over So. Calif. I have never seen one growing around El Paso or Cruces and no nursery has them. Anybody know if they would grow around here?
Indeed, there are some Jacaranda trees that I have seen growing in yards in their landscaping in El Paso.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
I hate those things because it reminds me of when I helped my brother in law plant some in front of his yard. they were only 6 ft but damn they were heavy.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:38 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Yeah, I can never quite tell the difference between the Mexican and the Californian either. Some people think it is easy to tell the difference, but I never can.

To make things even more confusing is that sometimes a "Fillibusta" is grown - esentially a mixture of the Mexican and the Californian (like cross-breeding a dog). Usually it seems that Californians have fatter trunks and don't get quite as tall, and Mexicans are skinnier and taller, but even that can be different depending on the tree itself. Either way though, while I would guess yours are Californias, they'll do great for you in EP.

Believe it or not, I don't think EP is THAT far off from a Phoenix or a Tucson in terms of palms. Sure, Phoenix is far, far bigger so they have more, but literally, you can go almost anywher in EP now and you'll see large, small, and medium sized palms everywhere. Almost any street you walk down, at least 1/2 if not often more of the houses have palms in their landscaping.

Some think that Albuquerque is far more beautiful than EP, but with all of the palms used in the landscaping, I disagree...I think many stores/restaurants/homes in EP are just extremely attractive with their usage of palms in landscaping.

I love when homes plant like 4 in the very front portion of their sidewalk - spaced out in concrete circles - and have spot lights on them for the night-time. Yes...it actually can almost look like somewhere tropical.

I would love to see them. I have some palm pictures from EP filed away too...I will try to post them when I can retrieve them.
Holy crap maybe I got some fillibustas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
You can always depend on Chuco and EnjoyEP to talk positive about El Paso. The city just gets hammered by certain posters and alot of times rightfully so but its good to hear some good things about the Hometown.

Hope you guys get the Palm trees posted as that would be cool to see. Chuco...do you have any of the Las Palmas shopping center on George Dieter blvd. Phoenix is a very HARD CORE desert city and looks like the desert around EP but with all those Palm Trees all over that city it made it look really tropical...

Also good story this past week about El Paso's new 5 star golf resort that just opened up by the airport (butterfield trail) and now supposed to start construction of the resort hotel. Add the new medical school that Gov.Perry anounced and Ft.Bliss expansion and modernizing and the new inner loop freeway and also the new appartment complexes being built or reciently completed in Northeast and the East side (6 large ones) so good to see something positive amongst all the negative.....

Now if we could just move Elephant Butte Reservoir closer......
Thanks for the good words Harry, well I get tired of the people who talk almost all negative stuff about El Paso when EP has some good things going for it aswell..oh well I still respect their opinions they have every right to have them as I have the right to have mine.

EnjoyEP and Harry, haven't had much time to take pics, but I think I'll get a good chance early next week and I'll post them on here.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
How warm does the climate have to be to support palm trees? I am hearing of them in places I never would have expected. If Albuquerque can have them, there are probably many cities across the south that could yet don't.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If Albuquerque can have them, there are probably many cities across the south that could yet don't.
I've been living up here in Albuquerque now for 12 years and have yet to see any Palm Trees but if someone would point them out i'd appreciate it......

Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
I've been living up here in Albuquerque now for 12 years and have yet to see any Palm Trees but if someone would point them out i'd appreciate it......

The Zoo has several of them throughout, and on Alameda west of the river there are several homes with palm tree's in front which I think is the builders trademark.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
The Zoo has several of them throughout, and on Alameda west of the river there are several homes with palm tree's in front which I think is the builders trademark.
O.K....I haven't been to the zoo since 1996 and haven't traveled Alameda in a while as its on the far north end of the city but i'll check them out next time i'm over that way......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso