Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If these are the candidates, who will you vote for?
Barack Obama 15 41.67%
Mike Huckabee 11 30.56%
Neither 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I'd rather it be Ron Paul or Mitt Romney. Huckabee is a hardcore Southern Baptist, which makes me want to vomit.

It's not to say that he's a bad person. I know plenty of super-religious people who are nice. But i do not want someone that is a televangelist serving as the leader of our country.
Why not, we already have a "Community Organizer" look how great he is doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
He might be worse than Bush, we do not need another big spending social conservative. I am so sick of social conservatives, they've done as much damage to this great nation as Obama has. Give me a fiscal conservative(somebody with a track record to back that claim) who is socially moderate.

The country is fiscally a complete and total mess, I want a president that will hammer away at that problem and not get bogged down by their social agenda.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 PM

406 posts, read 495,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I'd rather it be Ron Paul or Mitt Romney. Huckabee is a hardcore Southern Baptist, which makes me want to vomit.

It's not to say that he's a bad person. I know plenty of super-religious people who are nice. But i do not want someone that is a televangelist serving as the leader of our country.
If you are gonna go the religious route you have to throw out Romney too. Ron Paul is great but we all know he will never have a serious chance beating the great satan, oops I mean good olde barry.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
I like Huckabee...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:37 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a Democrat and voted for Obama, but I like Huckabee. I don't think I would vote for him against Obama, but if Obama lost I wouldn't be upset.

Why not? What has he done in his 19 months that instills such loyalty? even his own party members are running from him.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Why not? What has he done in his 19 months that instills such loyalty? even his own party members are running from him.
The economy has not completely tanked. It has stayed about even. Had Obama sat idly by, we might be looking at a Dow around 5000. You underestimate the amount of people that see it that way.

As for the subject of who to nominate, I can tell you first and foremost that all these "old hat" people do have to go. It cannot be Palin, McCain, Huckabee, Romney or even Jindal. The perception of Republicans by too many independents is they are not willing to move forward.

Also, I am starting to see a bit of a shift in the blame for the economy. People blame Obama and congress first right now for certain, but as time goes on people are realizing there are a lot of big companies that are expanding high paying upper management positions. This is most certainly happening here in Houston and undoubtedly across the country. While this occurs, regular folks can't find a job. Furthermore, the government is becoming one of the only sectors that is hiring. If this continues, the Democrats win. Aside from true Republicans, who is going to vote for the party of less government if this is the case?

The other issue is what happens in November. In my opinion, the most favorable situation for the GOP in 2012 is for the House and Senate to remain in control of the Democrats coupled with a slow growing economy. If the GOP takes over and the economy improves, Obama will get the credit. If the GOP takes over and the economy tanks, the GOP will get the blame. Obama will easily be able to frame the GOP as "The party of no, and now that they are in control, it got worse." As for getting the credit, it seems the President always does regardless of who is in office.

If 2012 is within reach, the Republicans need someone like Clinton; exceedingly intelligent, brought up in modest means, charismatic and relatively unknown. The aforementioned "old hat" candidates will make it seem as though the Republican party has no new ideas, which is one of the biggest issues plaguing them right now.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
john thune of south dakota is intriguing, i would love to see ron paul run because he gets it in my opinion.

the only one i see winning against obama though is jindal, since he was a primary figure in the bp mess.

and yes, i will bring race into it, but obama being black is a big advantage with a split white vote, because he'll get an 80/20 minority vote. you cannot beat him with that vote.

you also have to figure out who the gop is throwing out. if its an establishment figure like others have said, a romeny, gingrich, whoever, people will not be interested.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
john thune of south dakota is intriguing, i would love to see ron paul run because he gets it in my opinion.

the only one i see winning against obama though is jindal, since he was a primary figure in the bp mess.

and yes, i will bring race into it, but obama being black is a big advantage with a split white vote, because he'll get an 80/20 minority vote. you cannot beat him with that vote.

you also have to figure out who the gop is throwing out. if its an establishment figure like others have said, a romeny, gingrich, whoever, people will not be interested.
Let's hope the GOPs have learned not to go with "its your turn". I, for one think they have learned. I think they are doing some grooming right now, but we will soon know.

As for Ron Paul, come on, all of you get over Ron Paul. It is way past his time, her is way to old and talk about nutty, he is a little of that as well.

I like Jindal but I think it is too soon. Maybe VP.
No, I do not think the black/white issue will be as big in 2012. I am not sure this time around the blacks will turn out in masses like in 2008 and many white voters who thought they were getting something new and exciting are disallusioned, young people saw another Kennedy (even though they really knew nothing about Kennedy) they now realize that can only see his side on every issue. OPf course these are my thoughts and opinions only.

Nita

Old 08-28-2010, 01:54 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Other than what you have heard about him being a Southern Baptist, what do you really know about him? Do you know anything about him as a governor?
I read things about Huckabee when he was running in 2008, and it really turned me off. He's supposedly a "man of God" and therefore should practice (and live) what he preaches.

Stealing is against the 10 Commandments.

When Huckabee was Gov. of Arkansas he had the Gov. mansion redecorated. There was a designer that donated $70K worth of furniture to the Gov. mansion. When Huckabee left office, he stole the furniture from the Gov. mansion, claiming it was a personal gift to him from the designer. The designer said that was not true. Huckabee was ordered to return the furniture or face charges.

Huckabee's oldest son was a counselor at a boy scout camp and he hung an emaciated stray dog from a tree, killing it -- in front of the boy scouts that were at the camp. A policeman was investigating this crime, and Huckabee called up the police chief and had him fire the cop.

Yeah, Huckabee's just the type of guy we need in the WH.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
I'm sure I'll be asked for "links" ... so, here:

Counting the furniture
Huckabee takes his office furniture; a conflict on Mansion gift
Source: Arkansas Times

Son's Past Could Come Back to Bite Huckabee
Source: Newsweek

And with the current controversies involved around giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens, Huckabee's record on this issue would amount to political suicide.

Mike Huckabee Supports Bill to Give Driver's Licenses to Illegal Aliens
Source: Arkansas Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections