Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I honestly never thought that I would even think Palin had any chance of being the Republican nominee for 2012. In fact I did not even think it would be "Romney/Palin 2012". I honestly thought that she would go back to Alaska and disappear after 2010. But obviously I underestimated her. It is pretty obvious to me that she is well on track to become the Republican nominee in 2012. I honestly do not think Romney or anybody else is going to knock her off.
And I will give some good advice to my fellow Democrats: do not underestimate her in the general election. She may appear "dumb" on some issues but she is not dumb politically. She knows how to count. My fear is that the Democrats will write her off as a non threat like they did Reagan ("he's just a dumb cowboy", "nobody will put an actor in the White House", "he's too old") and she could win which would be a disaster for the country. We really would miss Bush if she won!
BRILLIANT: Another key element of Palin 2012 rolled out quietly — THE MOMMA GRIZZLIES « HillBuzz.org (http://hillbuzz.org/2010/05/14/brilliant-another-key-element-of-palin-2012-rolled-out-quietly-the-momma-grizzlies/ - broken link)
that is almost 6 months old, don't ya think you would find something a little newer to support your views? Will she run? Who knows, I wonder if she knows? She is having so much fun right now, but if she does run, well, don't be too sure she would get the bid, remember Hillary and your party this time 4 years ago or even 3 years ago?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, we don't have to assume that. We have quite a few good candidates to choose from. Cristie, Daniels, Barbour, McConnell, Pawlenty, Romney.

Palin would be a mistake at this point.
looks like you and I have our eyes on some of the same names right now..

Nita

Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I saw an interview with her where she actually said that if no one good came forward for the repubs in 2012, she would run. Will try to find it.

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWVUCvz_gU
I have watched almost all of the interviews, are you sure she said exactly that? I have heard her say, more times than not she would consider it if the people really want her. I haven't heard her actually say she would run. Even if she did say that, she is saying, as you put it, if no good Republican candidate comes forward? Who decides a good candidate?

OK, I just listened to what she said, I think you pretty much took what she said out of context..

Nita

Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
The White House is sitting there, just waiting for the Republicans to move in two years from now; Palin should be dead last on the GOPs list of possibles.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,716 times
Quote:
I honestly never thought that I would even think Palin had any chance of being the Republican nominee for 2012. In fact I did not even think it would be "Romney/Palin 2012". I honestly thought that she would go back to Alaska and disappear after 2010. But obviously I underestimated her. It is pretty obvious to me that she is well on track to become the Republican nominee in 2012. I honestly do not think Romney or anybody else is going to knock her off.
And I will give some good advice to my fellow Democrats: do not underestimate her in the general election. She may appear "dumb" on some issues but she is not dumb politically. She knows how to count. My fear is that the Democrats will write her off as a non threat like they did Reagan ("he's just a dumb cowboy", "nobody will put an actor in the White House", "he's too old") and she could win which would be a disaster for the country. We really would miss Bush if she won!
BRILLIANT: Another key element of Palin 2012 rolled out quietly — THE MOMMA GRIZZLIES « HillBuzz.org (http://hillbuzz.org/2010/05/14/brilliant-another-key-element-of-palin-2012-rolled-out-quietly-the-momma-grizzlies/ - broken link)

In 2008 everyone said the same thing about Hillary Clinton. Nearly everybody assumed that she would win the nomination but look what happened? I guess the point is that you shouldn't assume anything this far in advance of the primaries.

As far as Palin is concerned, I don't think she even has a chance to win the nomination let alone the general election. Obviously she strongly appeals to her base but she is way too divisive to win the presidency and Republicans know that. They will tear her down during the primaries. Once that happens, can she continue to blame the media for covering it? She can't because she's already kicked and screamed about how liberal she thinks they are. If she were to win the nomination somehow, she will get slaughtered in the election for two reasons. 1. The Democratic nominee will have a ton of baggage (bridge to nowhere, quitting her current post, etc). 2. She doesn't and cannot appeal to independents which are the key. Whether you agree with Obama's politics, he appealed to his base, independents, and minorities. And if he's runs again in 2012, he'll have a Republican controlled Congress to use as a scapegoat for things that don't get done going forward.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM

187 posts, read 181,870 times
Quote:
I think " Crazy Palin" can use the cross hairs as her campaing logo, after she did not distance herself from it following the Arizona massacre...

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I think " Crazy Palin" can use the cross hairs as her campaing logo, after she did not distance herself from it following the Arizona massacre...
you realize this thread is 6 months old don't you? Palin isn't going to get the nod, she most likely will not even run, but that does remain to be seen.

Nita

Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you realize this thread is 6 months old don't you? Palin isn't going to get the nod, she most likely will not even run, but that does remain to be seen.

Nita
I'd agree with you...one might want to ask, why would Miss Sarah WANT to run for President? She'd have to be more forthcoming with the press, which she doesn't like to do; she'd have to disclose a lot of her income, be exposed to lots of scrutiny...and she's pretty thin-skinned about taking criticism, which is part and parcel of being a public figure.

I think she's having lots of fun doing what she is doing now - getting lots of publicity, earning lots of money, and not having to be too accountable publicly. And she's getting a lot of clout and staying in the public eye just by hedging on whether she'd be a candidate.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'd agree with you...one might want to ask, why would Miss Sarah WANT to run for President? She'd have to be more forthcoming with the press, which she doesn't like to do; she'd have to disclose a lot of her income, be exposed to lots of scrutiny...and she's pretty thin-skinned about taking criticism, which is part and parcel of being a public figure.

I think she's having lots of fun doing what she is doing now - getting lots of publicity, earning lots of money, and not having to be too accountable publicly. And she's getting a lot of clout and staying in the public eye just by hedging on whether she'd be a candidate.
I see it exactly that way. The minute she officially says she is out of the picture, that minute will be the time she losses some of her attention getting clout and that means less money.

Nita

Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I see it exactly that way. The minute she officially says she is out of the picture, that minute will be the time she losses some of her attention getting clout and that means less money.

Nita
For awhile I thought Palin would run, but with the emergence of the even crazier tea party lady making a bunch of stops to the early Primary states I think its less and less likely she will run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections