Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,674 times

Advertisements

Love Marco and would vote for him for POTUS in a heartbeat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 PM

146 posts, read 225,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post

(CNSNews.com) - Marco Rubio—a pro-life, pro-free-market, limited-government conservative—was elected to the U.S. Senate from Florida on Tuesday, winning 55 percent of the Latino vote in the process, according the network television exit poll conducted by Edison Research.

Conservative Marco Rubio Won 55 Percent of Latino Vote in Florida Senate Race, Says Exit Poll | CNSnews.com

Apparently Republicans can have the Hispanic vote with good candidates (and hot wives ).Interesting to know.
This is the conservative mentality on display: minorities vote for a candidate based on the "gee, he looks like me!" factor, and nothing else. The nuances of shared experiences, priorities, and conflicting values escape them.

Florida is an extreme anomaly among states with large Hispanic populations in that Cubans are a large percentage here. If Florida's Hispanic population voted like Hispanics (generally speaking, of course) in the rest of the country, W would have never been elected and we would be as Blue, politically, as California.

Don't expect to see any sort of national trend to this. A liberal Mexican American in California has about as much in common with Rubio as I, a liberal African American, do with Clarence Thomas. If Barack Obama would have been a very conservative Republican running against Hillary Clinton, Clinton would have handily carried the Black vote. So will be the same if Rubio runs for the Presidency.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
This is the conservative mentality on display: minorities vote for a candidate based on the "gee, he looks like me!" factor, and nothing else. The nuances of shared experiences, priorities, and conflicting values escape them.

Florida is an extreme anomaly among states with large Hispanic populations in that Cubans are a large percentage here. If Florida's Hispanic population voted like Hispanics (generally speaking, of course) in the rest of the country, W would have never been elected and we would be as Blue, politically, as California.

Don't expect to see any sort of national trend to this. A liberal Mexican American in California has about as much in common with Rubio as I, a liberal African American, do with Clarence Thomas. If Barack Obama would have been a very conservative Republican running against Hillary Clinton, Clinton would have handily carried the Black vote. So will be the same if Rubio runs for the Presidency.
that is your opinion and you admit you are a liberal. Many minorities are leaning more conservative all the time, especially those who are educated.

Nita

Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM

22,198 posts, read 19,487,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is your opinion and you admit you are a liberal. Many minorities are leaning more conservative all the time, especially those who are educated.

Nita
I highly doubt that, look at the voting habits of Baldwin Hills California, southwest Atlanta, areas such as Rosedale and Cambria Heights in Queens, Lakeview and Wheatley Heights here on Long Island. Prince George's County in Maryland, Michael Steele got absolutely obliterated by Ben Cardin in the 06 Senate race. If anything I would say well educated middle to upper middle class blacks are even a stronger Dem constituency than poor blacks. They vote Democratic at pretty much the same clip as poorer blacks, and much like all other ethnic groups turnout tends to be higher among the better educated.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I highly doubt that, look at the voting habits of Baldwin Hills California, southwest Atlanta, areas such as Rosedale and Cambria Heights in Queens, Lakeview and Wheatley Heights here on Long Island. Prince George's County in Maryland, Michael Steele got absolutely obliterated by Ben Cardin in the 06 Senate race. If anything I would say well educated middle to upper middle class blacks are even a stronger Dem constituency than poor blacks. They vote Democratic at pretty much the same clip as poorer blacks, and much like all other ethnic groups turnout tends to be higher among the better educated.
Smash, it depends on where you live. I know the educated minorities in NM were strong Republicans in a many cases. I sm not saying the majority, I am saying, certainly more than the libs would like us to know. This was true in No Va when we lived there as well and among our friends and co workers in Texas. The more educated the more likely minorities were to be Republicans. I believe this trend will continue. Again, I am not saying all or even most, I am saying more and more. In NM almost all the Republican chairpeople from varies counties were minorities.

Nita

Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM

146 posts, read 225,449 times
Quote:
Smash, it depends on where you live. I know the educated minorities in NM were strong Republicans in a many cases. I sm not saying the majority, I am saying, certainly more than the libs would like us to know. This was true in No Va when we lived there as well and among our friends and co workers in Texas. The more educated the more likely minorities were to be Republicans. I believe this trend will continue. Again, I am not saying all or even most, I am saying more and more. In NM almost all the Republican chairpeople from varies counties were minorities.

Nita
I respectfully but strongly disagree. Anecdote does not equal statistical data or consistent electoral outcomes.

Particularly as it relates to the Black community, numerous studies have shown that regardless of the importance of religion, income level, or level of educational attainment, support for the Republican Party does not rise much above 10-15% at the very best. Over the last 30 years, Asians and Hispanics have generally trended more, not less, liberal in their inclinations. Bush temporarily halted this trend as it relates to Hispanics because immigration was one of the very few issues of his term on which he was not incredibly partisan and divisive.

When you visit a forum like this - only to observe conservatives spouting their typical fallacious and incendiary rhetoric about "Black welfare leeches" and "anchor babies" - is there really any surprise at these patterns in society?

Last edited by FLGator487; 03-27-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Nita
NOVA has trended HEAVILY towards the Democrats. The most educated portion of Texas (both among minorities and whites) is Austin, which is very liberal. Not to mention the whole attack on intellectualism that has come out of the GOP in recent years. The whole lets try to dumb down Science and shove religion into text books in Texas schools, among other things.

Granted the areas I listed earlier were well educated middle to upper middle class African American neighborhoods, other minority groups aren't as heavily Democratic. With that being said all the signs, voting habits, etc point to minorities of all education levels moving away from the Republican Party, as are the well educated in general.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
I respectfully but strongly disagree. Anecdote does not equal statistical data or consistent electoral outcomes.

Particularly as it relates to the Black community, numerous studies have shown that regardless of the importance of religion, income level, or level of educational attainment, support for the Republican Party does not rise much above 10-15% at the very best. Over the last 30 years, Asians and Hispanics have generally trended more, not less, liberal in their inclinations. Bush temporarily halted this trend as it relates to Hispanics because immigration was one of the very few issues of his term on which he was not incredibly partisan and divisive.

When you visit a forum like this - only to observe conservatives spouting their typical fallacious and incendiary rhetoric about "Black welfare leeches" and "anchor babies" - is there really any surprise at these patterns in society?
Are you talking about me spouting my conservative fallacious rhetonic? If so, think again. I am not a conservative: fiscally yes, socially middle of the road depending on the issue. On some issues I am very liberal, others moderate, very few social issues would anyone call me conservative.

You can look at polls all you want and again, I am not saying majority, I am saying starting to lean Republican. Don't judge too much by what happened in 2008 like so many would like, think about 2010 for starters. Blacks are the least likely to vote Republican, we all know that.

Nita

Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
NOVA has trended HEAVILY towards the Democrats. The most educated portion of Texas (both among minorities and whites) is Austin, which is very liberal. Not to mention the whole attack on intellectualism that has come out of the GOP in recent years. The whole lets try to dumb down Science and shove religion into text books in Texas schools, among other things.

Granted the areas I listed earlier were well educated middle to upper middle class African American neighborhoods, other minority groups aren't as heavily Democratic. With that being said all the signs, voting habits, etc point to minorities of all education levels moving away from the Republican Party, as are the well educated in general.
Check some of the areas in the Dallas area like Denton County, Terrant county, and cities like Flower Mound, Ft Worth, Lewisville, Denton itself, etc. Austin is liberal primarily because the university is there. You are very politically savvy and you know this is true. As for Austin being the most educated, take those involved in the University out of the picture and you would not get that. You are using studies that fit your view and you know it. We can all do that.

As for NOVA, you are telling me cities like Mclean and areas surrounding Alexandria lean Democrat. Give me a break. Again, you can look at pockets like Arlington maybe (which has a higher populalation) and prove your point but overall I think you are wrong. You can google the demographics of NOVA for the facts and yes, you are right, but the blog is totally out of date.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Check some of the areas in the Dallas area like Denton County, Terrant county, and cities like Flower Mound, Ft Worth, Lewisville, Denton itself, etc. Austin is liberal primarily because the university is there. You are very politically savvy and you know this is true. As for Austin being the most educated, take those involved in the University out of the picture and you would not get that. You are using studies that fit your view and you know it. We can all do that.

As for NOVA, you are telling me cities like Mclean and areas surrounding Alexandria lean Democrat. Give me a break. Again, you can look at pockets like Arlington maybe (which has a higher populalation) and prove your point but overall I think you are wrong. You can google the demographics of NOVA for the facts and yes, you are right, but the blog is totally out of date.

I'm talking the area as a whole, you can't take those associated with the University out of the picture, the University is of course part of the picture. The Austin area is the most educated part of Texas it is also the most liberal.

As far as NOVA, yes I'm saying McLean and other areas surrounding Alexandria lean Democratic. Alexandria itself is VERY liberal, some of the surrounding areas in Fairfax such as McLean use to be Republican, they aren't anymore. Looking at Precinct level data which I have access to, McLean has 9 or 10 precincts, Obama won all but one (the precinct he lost was the closest of all of them), and it looks like McLean itself went to Obama by double digits.

NOVA itself is very well educated, and has shifted HARD left. The Democratic trend in NOVA is one of the strongest trends to either side anywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections