Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I would agree with you if that was the only issue. This time around that is the least of my concerns so therefore with what is laid out before us or I should say me as a voter I voted for Mary Fallon. If the only issue before us was a marriage or non marriage issue, I would have thought that was about as dumb as you get and voted the other way but like I said that was the least thought on my mind when I voted.
I am sorry, but nobody coming up with ignorance like that deserves my vote. Regardless of the other issues.

But, just for the sake of argument, what exactly do you find attractive about Fallon's positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
I can't help but wonder what Mary Fallin meant in her ad when she said she stands for reduced government spending. For one thing, Oklahoma is already experiencing reduced government spending to deal with reduced tax revenues. Also the prison system, education and highways are hurting bad enough from inadequate spending. Some of the toll roads in the state, such as H. E. Bailey, aren't in a very pleasant conditon to drive on, even though you had to pay.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Any female candidate who feels the need to throw in her opponent's lack of marriage and motherhood as a plus for herself says a lot about the candidate and the people voting for her.

A woman who has not given birth is somehow less qualified for political office? Really?

Give me a break.
But Mary never pulled the gay card on Jari, which would have been lethal in Oklahoma.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I can't help but wonder what Mary Fallin meant in her ad when she said she stands for reduced government spending. For one thing, Oklahoma is already experiencing reduced government spending to deal with reduced tax revenues. Also the prison system, education and highways are hurting bad enough from inadequate spending. Some of the toll roads in the state, such as H. E. Bailey, aren't in a very pleasant conditon to drive on, even though you had to pay.
She says she plans to reduce the prison population, for one thing. But the Corrections budget is only ~$500M total, so you'll only get so far there.

There are a few other areas that could be combined or reduced. The arts council could be cut. The Commerce Dept. isn't really needed, since that is the function of the chamber. You could combine the Senior nutrition with school lunches, which would not only save money but increase the services provided to the seniors. I'm not sure we need most of the OBN, so it could be folded into the rest of government, etc.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But Mary never pulled the gay card on Jari, which would have been lethal in Oklahoma.
What. You mean that voters would not be aware of that already? And why does somebody's sexual orientation matter?

Old 11-14-2010, 05:43 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
You mean Mary is going to be the first lesbian governor? I guess after having kids and a husband and things, that would be pretty cool......think she will be on Ellen? or maybe Maddow?

Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
What. You mean that voters would not be aware of that already? And why does somebody's sexual orientation matter?

No, most voters were not aware of that, nor do I know if it's true.

Sexual orientation matters because it is remarkably easy to pander to the bigots in Oklahoma politics, and that subtle accusation would lock in a victory right from the very beginning.

Mary deserves credit for not going down that path. She didn't leak information to the media. Her campaign never made that an issue, and that's to her credit.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
No, most voters were not aware of that, nor do I know if it's true.

Sexual orientation matters because it is remarkably easy to pander to the bigots in Oklahoma politics, and that subtle accusation would lock in a victory right from the very beginning.

Mary deserves credit for not going down that path. She didn't leak information to the media. Her campaign never made that an issue, and that's to her credit.
If this isn't a fact, why even bring that up?

But I still think that whether a candidate is gay, straight, married, single, fertile or barren is completely irrelevant.

How about this country starts voting based on issues rather than appearances (which are pretty much smoke and mirrors anyway). We would be a lot better off.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
If this isn't a fact, why even bring that up?

But I still think that whether a candidate is gay, straight, married, single, fertile or barren is completely irrelevant.

How about this country starts voting based on issues rather than appearances (which are pretty much smoke and mirrors anyway). We would be a lot better off.
You said most voters were aware of it. I'm saying I don't know for sure, and I don't really care to find out. And I certainly don't think most voters knew it was true.

I bring it up because it was certainly something most politicians, Republican or Democrat would have done. The fact that she didn't allow her campaign to go down that path shows she really took the high road.

As opposed to the Democrats, with their "Mattress Mary" jeer against Fallin. Can you imagine, in this day and age, they were trying to attack her chastity to prevent her from winning the Governorship?!? It was like the Democratic party of the 1930's showed up.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
She says she plans to reduce the prison population, for one thing. But the Corrections budget is only ~$500M total, so you'll only get so far there.
It is the sentencing guidlines that need to be revamped. The GOV elect can make all the promises she wants, but that is where the fault lies.

Thanks to the use of "after former's", we have guys doing 20 years for simple possession of marijuana (as little as trace amounts) and 10 years for their zig zag rolling papers. That is not a typo, 10 years for zig zags? Yes.

In affect whatever crime is committed, the sentence is longer if the person has been conivicted on a prior felony(s). I have guys doing 40 years for $40 worth of crack, while some child molesters are doing as low as 2 years!! We are getting DUI's doing 10 years if they have afterformers.

As for the female incarceration, having worked at MBCC, I can also tell you no one goes to prison (except for meth distribution or a major violent crime) unless they are given a deferred sentence, then they screw that up, a suspended sentence which they screw up again, and are finally sentenced to incarceration.

I have seen a chronic shoplifter receive 20 years after being convicted for stealing a fingernail clipper set worth $7. She was on her 7th incarceration, all for crack and theft charges. Twenty years?!

And our soon-to-be-EX GOV Brad Henry sits on every Parole, so most of them are discharging before they ever make Parole.

Every member of the House or Senate wants to be seen as "tough on crime" and the end result is a state with the highest female incarceration rate in the nation. Not to mention DOC has already scaled back to bare essentials thanks to the budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections