Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Dick Morris has an interesting column today:

THE GOP PRIMARIES OF 12 WILL BE HELD ON FOX NEWS at DickMorris.com

"Now, in the Republican primaries, it will be different. The short list of contenders for the nomination will not be chosen in the early primaries. Iowa and New Hampshire will not impose their will on America. America will impose its will on Iowa and New Hampshire...Day after day, we will see all the candidates on Fox News. Not just in debates, but in frequent appearances on the opinion and news shows on the network. We will watch how they handle themselves, we’ll learn how they answer questions, and we’ll come to our decision."

My question is will ALL of the GOP candidates get a fair shake by Fox News? I didn't see that fairness in the 2008 GOP debates they moderated and aired or the air time given to all potential candidates. I wasn't a Ron Paul supporter in the 2008 race but I think they treated him, for example, shamefully in the debates.

I believed that about "the B List" candidates in the Democrat debates, too, and the other networks that starved them from air time them but since Obama is likely to be unopposed in 2012, I don't think Dem voters will have to deal with it this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
So FOX News will decide who gets the most air time, who gets the "fluff" questions and who gets the hardball questions, etc? What a way to pick a presidential candidate! Gag me with a spoon!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
News is not a community service, it's business. We'll see.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
I'm not really buying the author's argument. I mean, Obama didn't win New Hampshire, and McCain didn't win Iowa, yet they still got the nomination. I agree that doing poorly in the early primaries can hurt a candidate, and anyone who has ever lived in a state with a late primary knows that can be kind of lame, but to say New Hampshire and Iowa impose their views on America is being a little overly dramatic.

Personally, I'm not very interested in any news station being so involved with the process. They're there to report the news, not make it.

A better option if people don't like the order of the primaries is to change it up every year. That has been suggested before, although it does upset Iowa and New Hampshire. (Boo hoo?)

Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So FOX News will decide who gets the most air time, who gets the "fluff" questions and who gets the hardball questions, etc? What a way to pick a presidential candidate! Gag me with a spoon!
All of the networks do this especially the broadcast networks. Read Howard Kurtz's "Reality Show" which is about the national news on ABC, CBS and NBC They do it by deciding they can't devote time and resources to all of the candidates so they pick the chosen ones and starve the others with less "air time." It's not a hardball/softball question issue. By starving some of who they consider to be lesser candidates by giving them less exposure they, in effect, pick our candidates for us.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
All of the networks do this especially the broadcast networks. Read Howard Kurtz's "Reality Show" which is about the national news on ABC, CBS and NBC They do it by deciding they can't devote time and resources to all of the candidates so they pick the chosen ones and starve the others with less "air time." It's not a hardball/softball question issue. By starving some of who they consider to be lesser candidates by giving them less exposure they, in effect, pick our candidates for us.
Not for me, they don't, but FOX's viewers seem to regard them as the Holy Grail.

BTW, what's different then?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-30-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Well its funny Ron Paul has been on fox news like once a week since the 2008 election asking for his input. I wonder what would happen if he ran in 2012. :-) LOL

Being we have an foreign policy and economic crisis of which he told them in 2008 and nobody wanted to listen.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Most of the likely Republican candidates are paid Fox consultants or contributers. If they all announce they are running Fox is going to be very short on commentators (since Fox has already said they will sever finantial ties with anyone who announces they are running). Morris is probably right. I think he is the smartest person in politics (A hundred times smarter than Rove).
The best thing Republicans can do to prevent a disaster like McCain from ever happening again is to make sure all primaries are closed and only registered Republicans can vote. This idea of letting anyone vote in a primary is how we get disasters like McCain.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Indeed.

So much for "fair and balanced". For those who ever doubted that Fox News is to the GOP what Pravda was to the USSR Communist Party, there is the proof.

Fox News = GOP.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes and no.

By devoting greater air time/exposure to some political duds (like Palin), some people might just get more insight into the "unsuitability" of the station's choices.

Back in 2008, Fox was pushing Rudy Giuliani (remember "America's Mayor" ad nauseum broadcasts?) and the man didn't get anywhere.

Fox News has a following of automatons who will believe and do anything Fox News broadcasts. However, there are other electors who don't consider Fox News "a real news station".

It is very arrogant of them to think that they can dictate who gets "elected".

As for me, I hardly watch TV. Reading is quieter, better and devoid of extraneous commentaries from feeble minded, uneducated charlatans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections