Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and the Democrats are not drawn to the left or the majority that post here are not? I think the Republicans are probably more open minded and middle of the road than the Democrats. You think, if anyone thinks differently from you they must be right wing nuts.

Nita
Did you notice where I said "(Sounds familiar huh liberals)" when talking about voting for people telling them what they want to hear. Both extremes are different sides of the same coin, each side just has another version of force they want to use on everyone else. Hence, to me they are one mass of authoritarian puppet master controlling the faithful with rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
I've been saying this since about 9 months ago.

Bachmann is going to win the primary. Even though I disagree with her vehemently, I do think she is doing an extremely good job laying groundwork for the primary campaign... and it helps her that she is originally from Iowa.

The tea partiers and other social conservatives are a plurality in the Republican party at least. They will be all over her. They will not allow Mitt to become the nominee based off his support of the healthcare. Palin has too much baggage, and I think they are starting to see that.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I've been saying this since about 9 months ago.

Bachmann is going to win the primary. Even though I disagree with her vehemently, I do think she is doing an extremely good job laying groundwork for the primary campaign... and it helps her that she is originally from Iowa.

The tea partiers and other social conservatives are a plurality in the Republican party at least. They will be all over her. They will not allow Mitt to become the nominee based off his support of the healthcare. Palin has too much baggage, and I think they are starting to see that.
Bachmann will be heavily supported by the lunatic fringe of the right, but she's looked at as insane to most everyone else. Romney and any other "somewhat" sane republicans will be bashed by this group but will likely gain independents. The right has created their own monster with the tea party. They don't stand a chance of ever holding the presidency or making large gains in congress until they come back into sanity and towards the center, not the extreme right they are now.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Bachmann will be heavily supported by the lunatic fringe of the right, but she's looked at as insane to most everyone else. Romney and any other "somewhat" sane republicans will be bashed by this group but will likely gain independents. The right has created their own monster with the tea party. They don't stand a chance of ever holding the presidency or making large gains in congress until they come back into sanity and towards the center, not the extreme right they are now.
Wouldn't it be great if she actually won the GOP race?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Independents for the most part don't vote in primary elections, only the ones that are open primary and that is few and far between.

All Bachmann needs to win the nomination (or anyone for that matter) is a plurality of votes in the first few states.... then that will shuffle out the rest so that she can garner more voters.

In fact, here is how this is going to play out

(Several candidates)
Iowa- Bachmann wins
(other conservative candidates drop out)
New Hampshire- Romney wins
(other moderate candidates drop out)
Nevada- Bachmann wins
South Carolina- Bachmann wins
(Romney holds on for a few more states until it becomes clear that Bachmann has won)

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Did you notice where I said "(Sounds familiar huh liberals)" when talking about voting for people telling them what they want to hear. Both extremes are different sides of the same coin, each side just has another version of force they want to use on everyone else. Hence, to me they are one mass of authoritarian puppet master controlling the faithful with rhetoric.
missed it all together, sorry!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I dont think she has a shot vs. Obama, but she will get the enthusiastic conservative vote.

Like I said before, I dont see how conservatives can call themselves conservatives and vote for Romney in the primary or general election.

She can also raise money and the GOP will think she has a shot at getting the women vote.

Palin is too stupid.

Bachman? really?

Set the bar higher.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Wouldn't it be great if she actually won the GOP race?
It might be better than you think for the right that is..

Nita

Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Social issues are generally a loser as well.

I dont want anybody telling me how to live my life.
how do you feel about the new patriot act?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
"I think Bachmann should be the favorite right now"

I can only hope and pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections