Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:54 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I think you're taking what you perceive she said and running with it, not caring to stop and think about what she actually said.

She said she submits to her husband in spiritual matters. So what? There can be only one leader, and it just so happens that God said the man has the role. Nobody is saying a man is superior, or that she submits to him in every area of life. Do you honestly think she calls him to ask how to vote in congress now?
The Bachmann quote in the WaPo does not say she "only submits to her husband in spiritual matters". YOU added that part!

As to whether Michelle calls Marcus every time she votes, I dunno. BUT, multiple sources identify him as her primary source (if not her only source) of advice and counsel. If their relationship is as she and her brother-in-law describe it in the article, I can see why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Wow...you've clearly been saving up for this for a while

LMMFAO
I know do you think someone struck a nerve?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
This is pulled from an article in today's Washington Post, about Michelle and Marcus Bachmann's relationship. The article is full of stuff that scared the peanuts out of my Snickers bar, but this was maybe the worst (my italics):

<<<Dr. Bachmann’s influence on his wife is an article of faith within the family. “He is her godly husband,” said Peter Bachmann, Dr. Bachmann’s oldest brother, who lives on the family dairy farm across the eastern border in Wisconsin. “The husband is to be the head of the wife, according to God.”

It is a philosophy that Michele Bachmann echoed to congregants of the the Living Word Christian Center in 2006, when she stated that she pursued her degree in tax law only because her husband had told her to. “The Lord says: Be submissive, wives. You are to be submissive to your husbands,” she said.>>>

Are the citizens of the US willing to vote for a president who openly declares her submissiveness to the will of another person? Who states she does what her husband tells her to do?

How will we know who you are really voting for, Michelle....... or Marcus???
The issues should not be about a marital relationship between two people. The issues should be about is this woman capable and competent to run a country?

On a personal level, between a man and woman, husband and wife, being submissive is a personal choice based upon the tenants of their faith.

What someone else believes and how that belief impacts their personal life is nobody's business. Being the president is a job. If the person elected can do the job, then that is all that matters - or at least all that "should" matter.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I think you're taking what you perceive she said and running with it, not caring to stop and think about what she actually said.

She said she submits to her husband in spiritual matters. So what? There can be only one leader, and it just so happens that God said the man has the role. Nobody is saying a man is superior, or that she submits to him in every area of life. Do you honestly think she calls him to ask how to vote in congress now?
I think she might very well consult her husband about how to vote in Congress. She's voting on laws. Laws reflect the morality of a nation. She submits to her husband in spiritual or moral matters. See a connection there?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM

898 posts, read 827,710 times
Yay! Another leftwing troll thread!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There you go throwing water on the liberal slam Bachman party. How dare you bring truth and common sense into the discussion.
There you go again with your assumptions.

I'm not slamming Bachmann at all.

I'm just saying that as voters we need some clarification as to where Mrs Bachmann draws the line in terms of submission to her husband. She hasn't provided any information to suggest that she draws the line at all. And I think truth and common sense would say that if she doesn't draw the line, then why aren't we voting for her husband instead of for her?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:06 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Ahhh, more insanity from the loony left with their sexist attacks on anyone they fear.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

810 posts, read 837,007 times
It's their personal life. Unless its starts to interfere into other things. And to put it simply, its a bigoted statement. Along of the lines of saying women cant be president because they are too emotional, and neither gays because they would just be too obsessed with men and "submissive" for them.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The Bachmann quote in the WaPo does not say she "only submits to her husband in spiritual matters". YOU added that part!
Silly statements like this are what happens when you don't understand the context. The article was talking about faith. She was talking about her faith. Do you think it was in regards to a yoga class?
Quote:
As to whether Michelle calls Marcus every time she votes, I dunno. BUT, multiple sources identify him as her primary source (if not her only source) of advice and counsel. If their relationship is as she and her brother-in-law describe it in the article, I can see why.
And Skippy calls George Soros or Valerie Jarrett every time he wipes his hind end. Is it really a problem that she actually consults her husband on an issue?

Remember Billary? Did you have a problem with that? Or did you think it was "empowering" to think of a strong 1st lady?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:09 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There you go throwing water on the liberal slam Bachman party. How dare you bring truth and common sense into the discussion.
Mogal, you never responded to my questions for you in an earlier post in this thread (and I paid you a compliment, too! )

Look, I'm not that concerned about Bachmann ever getting elected to the presidency. She's too far outside the mainstream. As bad as things are, Obama would beat her handily. People will vote for rationality over extremism.

BUT... the way things are in today's GOP, she could very well be their nominee. Or, she could be Romney's (or maybe Perry's) VP pick. That's too close for comfort!

For better or worse, we have a two-party system. I want BOTH parties to nominate strong, intellegent, RATIONAL candidates, for the good of us all.

Because once the race is on, ANYTHING can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections