Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,572,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
ALL of Obama's jobs were at McDonalds!!
Please, don't go there~
I would love to see Perry and Obama debate!
Obama is so yesterday's news!!
So you complain about the minimum wage jobs that were created under Obama but cheer Perry's minimum wage jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
The narrative Perry is trying to sell is that his policies brought jobs to Texas that he can expand to the nation s a whole. However, the Texas example show that a state offering cheap labor and weak regulation can lure jobs from other states. There is no reasoning to think that depressing wages and dismantling regulation nationally would create more jobs -- every state can't lure jobs away from every other state. Nor can they lure jobs back from the dollar a day Chinese wages -- a country which has industrial waste routinely dumped into drinking water.

Nor can all states be lucky enough to be oil rich at a time of high oil prices.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:55 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The governor creates the environment, just as has been done in Texas, just as has been done in the US. Perry created a business friendly environment...obama a hostile, anti-business environment.

You can't have that many businesses and individuals flocking to the state, looking for relief from liberal policies, if it weren't true.

Corporations hire employees. Some of them will be minimum wage. It's a no-brainer.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I wonder if Perry will run for president and still claim that Social Security and Medicare are unconstitutional?
Probably, because he is right.

Quote:
PERRY: I don’t think our founding fathers when they were putting the term “general welfare†in there were thinking about a federally operated program of pensions nor a federally operated program of health care. What they clearly said was that those were issues that the states need to address. Not the federal government. I stand very clear on that. From my perspective, the states could substantially better operate those programs if that’s what those states decided to do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...JkBJ_blog.html

Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But after paying the rent they're not going to have one and half year's salary to pay you. The burger flipper's problem is in saving up a down payment on top of living on minimum wage.
A continuing litany of excuses is what most Americans are tired of. If a person can't save 20% of what I gave for this place, they surely don't deserve having taxpayers help them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And speaking of Lubbock, it appears they have a NIMBY problem there:
Luckily I don't live in Lubbock, or even Lubbock County but I think the two replies to the article say it better than I could.

I have not followed the Milwaukee Ridge issue at Lubbock but, in regard to NIMBYs, I worked with NIMBY issues for over a decade at a national level. Many NIMBY attitudes are drawn from valid concerns.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The narrative Perry is trying to sell is that his policies brought jobs to Texas that he can expand to the nation s a whole. However, the Texas example show that a state offering cheap labor and weak regulation can lure jobs from other states. There is no reasoning to think that depressing wages and dismantling regulation nationally would create more jobs -- every state can't lure jobs away from every other state. Nor can they lure jobs back from the dollar a day Chinese wages -- a country which has industrial waste routinely dumped into drinking water.

Looks like a good report to me.

Quote:
Comptroller’s Economic Outlook

August 12, 2011

Job growth, sales tax collections – both from business and consumer purchases – as well as automobile sales, signal that the Texas economy has emerged from the recent recession.

Texas Ahead: Economic Outlook
Quote:
Economic Progress Report
Tracking the Texas Economy

Over the past year, Texas added jobs in most sectors, including construction, manufacturing, mining and logging, leisure and hospitality, financial activities, professional and business services, educational and health services, and government.

Texas Ahead: Tracking the Texas Economy

Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,971,624 times
Quote:
This COUNTRY is oil rich, but obama and the dems have all those resources locked up tight.

Perry, on the other hand, tapped oil-rich Texas that has helped his state create jobs and grow.

There's the difference. That's what you'd call leadership.

Last edited by sanrene; 08-16-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
Perry is certainly winning the Super PAC Race. Here's a good assessment of Perry and the following he will attract.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...gman&seid=auto

Last edited by florida.bob; 08-16-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Perry is certainly winning the Super PAC Race. Here's a good assessment of Perry and the following he will attract.

Ignorance, Paranoia, and Implied Violence - NYTimes.com
If it comes from Krugman, it is biased, slanted and probably filled with more lies than truths, but I know the die hard libs will beleive anything Krugman has to say. Luckily the ones that will be voting in Republican primaries consider Krugman a complete nut, so what he says is nothing but an attempt at comedy and a poor attempt at that.

NIta

Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If it comes from Krugman, it is biased, slanted and probably filled with more lies than truths, but I know the die hard libs will beleive anything Krugman has to say. Luckily the ones that will be voting in Republican primaries consider Krugman a complete nut, so what he says is nothing but an attempt at comedy and a poor attempt at that.

NIta
It is disturbing to have some people around who understand the meaning of words. Much easier to not read them, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections