Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,129,159 times

Advertisements

Govenor Perry-----my parents worked long and hard to raise their two kids, and sacrificed a lot of their goals and aspirations in doing so.

They budgeted long and hard to make ends meet, and to save a little bit of money for retirement. They were middle class and we did make ends meet, and both myself and my brother went to college----and we are grateful to our parents.

They were thrilled to be able to retire with a small fund, and the social security benefits they had after working 40 long and hard years for.

I am not one to claim that entitled them to government handouts-------it did earn them the $1100 a month they received from social security.

I agree that we need to share some pain on entitlement reform-------it needs to happen. However, please sir do not resort to continue to call social security a ponzi scheme----you are kidding arent you.

The majority of retiring Americans are not in an enviable position=====inflation, recession,and stagnation have cost them a lot of potential retirement income. They are not attempting to rip off the system, only to receive their monthly benefit allowing them to make ends meet.

The fact that you insist this is a ponzi scheme is hard to understand==== again, so it aint so. My mom has passed away, but my 84 year old dad still gets his ss benefits, comibined with his now very meager savings,and he makes ends meet------he also doesnt get why you have come up with this thought=====there are many struggling people in this country that are going to be interested how you do the doce do around this one.

I hope that your parents Govenor didnt any assistance to get by----if they did, you would have to explain to them that its a ponzi scheme and they need to reject the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do you seriously believe burger flippers with good credit could buy a home in Texas? Where they gonna get the down payment?
No but as its goes prograssives will i the end make everyone except the slite live i governamnt husig.meanig the projects.Thta is becasue they loves to control everyhting because it means poawer. Look at just now far they have come since the 60's redistribtion started;to a pot of more and more elimantigthe middle calss. Money is powwer which is what politics is about but along witht ehat coes corruption and ineffficency.Does nayne believe that any politican would be hired to run a comany?Of course not because they would be at dihig out favors to firends and forming clicks to stay i ntheir job.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Hey, Nomander,

You want to turn us all into some kind of worker drones for this slick talking globalist? He could probably teach Obama a few tricks.
No, I want people to pay attention, look to the facts and evaluate its legitimacy. If people properly source their position, we can see their case and support for their mention.

This election is going to have enough idiots making claims without anything to back it up, I think if anyone is going to expect another to consider their claim to have any merit, they need to source it properly

Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Do you seriously believe burger flippers with good credit could buy a home in Texas? Where they gonna get the down payment?
Well, a loan for 100k 30 year fixed at 4.2% is about 464 bucks a month (5k down). There are some older homes you can find in the 60k range which would be about 268 a month. Now that does not include taxes and insurance, which would be around 200-300 more depending on size of the home and what location you lived in, but technically it is possible, though for someone working as a burger flipper, single and living alone, it may be a bit much. That is why I stated "then they are not financially ready to own a home. ".

If you are trying to argue that a single minimum wage worker should own a home, then that is simply absurd. As I said though, homes are quite reasonable if you shop the right areas. Now if you are looking at some places in Texas that are high priced, well... all I can say is "stupid is as stupid does", more specifically anyone paying some of those home prices is an idiot and contributing to the same overpriced housing situation that happened in other states. If a person is living on minimum wage, then finding another job is easy and they can relocate somewhere where homes are likely better valued in the state.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,647,507 times
I am not a fan of Perry. He and Romney are just two more "slick Willies". He at least is an American and a capitalist, and just may be able to turn things around economically. I don't like his laissez faire attitude on the border. But will support him over Chief Obobo, who is deliberately trying to ruin us.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,328,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I'm sure you would love working 2 or 3 jobs just to survive.....wouldn't ya?
I'd rather work three jobs than live in a country where the government tells my boss what s/he has to pay me. In any case, the fact that jobs of any description have increased under Perry's stewardship is to his credit, even if you'd turn your nose up at the opportunities so many Texans apparently didn't.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,328,861 times
Quote:
Is it any business of government whether someone with a job can afford a roof over their head?
No.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,963 times
Default " Dat Thar Perry Feller Be AH Gittin A WHole Heap Ah Votes Iffin He Do Run Fer Pressidint"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
A REAL record of success to mark against obama's record of the last 2 1/2 years.

In Texas, Perry Outshines Obama - Investors.com

As opposed to the nation losing 2.4 million jobs since Jan 2009.

JOBS will be THE issue for 2012 and Perry has more than a leg up on obama on that front.

Yeah, look at this;

http://www.investors.com/image/WEBtwo_081511.gif.cms

If Perry gets in, what a great contrast he will have to tout - HIS success compared to obama's FAILURES.
sanrene !!! ... On The Money !

Indeed ... For all itents and purposes Perry appears to be just what the nation needs to begin it's long and difficult journey back from the brink of oblivion under the disasterous ineptitude of the current WH crew !!! ...

May we have high hopes that folks such as Perry will attempt to get elected to major political offices within this nation !

Tremendous damage has been inflicted upon America since the 2008 election ... perhaps it will require a "Miracle" to ever reverse the freekin mess that we are witness too today !!! May we never lose hope that our nation can be resurrected into the proud, formidable, and patriotic status in which it functions at it's absolute best !!!

Cheers Ya'll ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
Quote:
So you're in favor of taxing rental property more than owner-occupied homes (which Texas does) and exempting seniors (which Texas does) and taxing people out of their homes if they can't keep up with the property taxes (because Perry vetoed the bill which would have given them a break).

Why do you support redistribution of income from renters to homeowners?
When anyone talks in general about what Texas does with its property taxes, readers should take care. Texas has 254 counties that tax totally differently. I own a rental house, an owner-occupied house and until very recently three commercial buildings in two different counties. The commercial properties and the residential property in one county were taxed at the exact same rates. The house in another county is taxed at another rate.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
Quote:
A burger-flipper in Lubbock could have bought my 20-acre farm with one and half year's salary and still had money left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections