Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

I thought the state was up for grabs and didn't the Republican entity sponsoring the straw poll (Sept 24) say a few weeks ago that all of the straw poll voters would be at the Thursday debate? The sponsors had said that this straw poll is not like Iowa's and actually produced candidates Bush, Reagan and Dole as the GOP nominee in the past.

They can't be conceding Florida to Perry after they attacked him about saying SS is a ponzi scheme so why wouldn't they really participate in the straw poll? I'm assuming all of the other candidates will actively participate in the straw poll.

"FOX will broadcast Thursday's debate from 9 to 11 p.m. C-SPAN Networks expects to cover Friday's CPAC conference from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., when the presidential candidates are speaking, and video will be available at c-span.org. Saturday's P5 event and straw poll will be streamed live at presidency5.com."

This article is very informative about the doings in Florida, this week:

A guide to Florida GOP's Presidency 5 event - Adam C. Smith - St. Petersburg Times - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I thought the state was up for grabs and didn't the Republican entity sponsoring the straw poll (Sept 24) say a few weeks ago that all of the straw poll voters would be at the Thursday debate? The sponsors had said that this straw poll is not like Iowa's and actually produced candidates Bush, Reagan and Dole as the GOP nominee in the past.

They can't be conceding Florida to Perry after they attacked him about saying SS is a ponzi scheme so why wouldn't they really participate in the straw poll? I'm assuming all of the other candidates will actively participate in the straw poll.

"FOX will broadcast Thursday's debate from 9 to 11 p.m. C-SPAN Networks expects to cover Friday's CPAC conference from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., when the presidential candidates are speaking, and video will be available at c-span.org. Saturday's P5 event and straw poll will be streamed live at presidency5.com."

This article is very informative about the doings in Florida, this week:

A guide to Florida GOP's Presidency 5 event - Adam C. Smith - St. Petersburg Times - POLITICO.com
Oops, I found Bachmann's answer. She doesn't want to devote the resources to the effort. Could she be running low on money?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Oops, I found Bachmann's answer. She doesn't want to devote the resources to the effort. Could she be running low on money?
I don't think Bachmann ever had much money. And she spent a bunch in Iowa just to barely beat Ron Paul in the straw poll. Besides, for now she has the debates as free advertising.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Paul's consistently strong showings in these straw polls are putting other candidates off to them. RP's supporters will mobilize for for him for free. So why pay good money to possibly come in second to a candidate few people take seriously?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Romney put a lot of money into straw polls last time around and he felt it wasn't money used wisely since they are not actually much of a predictor of anything. He has said he wouldn't do that this time and will use his resources where it counts. Not participating in the straw poll doesn't mean you won't be participating in the debate though.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM

They will be on the ballot. They just aren't actively competing. I believe they are making no speeches unlike the other candidates nor are they doing any meet and greets.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
They will be on the ballot. They just aren't actively competing. I believe they are making no speeches unlike the other candidates nor are they doing any meet and greets.

By not participating, it just means they are not paying for people to be bussed in to the event to vote for them. They also wine an dine them or at least feed them lunch...lol. Bachmann and Romney will still be debating and they will also give speeches at CPAC on Saturday.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
By not participating, it just means they are not paying for people to be bussed in to the event to vote for them. They also wine an dine them or at least feed them lunch...lol. Bachmann and Romney will still be debating and they will also give speeches at CPAC on Saturday.
I know it's a full time job...but, keep 'em honest, d-Girl.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 AM

313 posts, read 834,117 times
From what I have read, Ron Paul isn't actively competing in the straw poll either. He'll be there for the events but not placing any emphasis on the straw poll.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
By not participating, it just means they are not paying for people to be bussed in to the event to vote for them. .
That is how the Florida Straw poll differs from Iowa's. Only registered delegates can vote and it ain't cheap. It's in the same link as in the original post.

"About 3,100 were chosen by their county Republican parties, after paying a $175 registration fee. Another 300 or so were selected by the state party chairman, and overall the delegation is supposed to represent the geographic makeup of the state."

Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
From what I have read, Ron Paul isn't actively competing in the straw poll either. He'll be there for the events but not placing any emphasis on the straw poll.
He's a confirmed speaker at CPAC-FL. That's the Friday after the debate and the Friday before Saturday's straw poll. CSpan will be covering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections