Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
haha, paul isn't even 'in sight.'
Again, not nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The debates are also not so good for Perry, because he is weakest in an environment where he has to defend his positions. He doesn't handle that well by bristling and becoming defensive. He also has a bad habit of eye rolling and pulling faces when other candidates are speaking and that doesn't play well. I can see why he likes to skip out on debates...it's just not his strength. You really can't not do these debates though. The more he does them, he will either get better at them or he will start to fall in the polls. However, the core group supporting him seems unwaivered so far by his negatives. A CBS poll that came out yesterday still has him leading at 22%, but a full 22% of Republican voters were undecided still so there is a lot of leeway for someone to move ahead. This is definitely far from over.

Poll: Perry leads pack in Republican presidential race - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
One could say that debating expertise is not a skill one would utilize once they become President. In other words, does a good debator mean a good President? Or, in other words, just because Michele Bachmann performs well on the debate stage does it mean a person with zero executive experience will know what to do once she gets the job? Look at Obama.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,075 times
You're kidding right? Perry, whose been in the race for all of one month, shouldn't agree to debate?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
One could say that debating expertise is not a skill one would utilize once they become President. In other words, does a good debator mean a good President? Or, in other words, just because Michele Bachmann performs well on the debate stage does it mean a person with zero executive experience will know what to do once she gets the job? Look at Obama.
You're dead on target here, LC. aka > Ron (zero executive experience) Paul.
But, good debator. Wait, need to rethink that?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I think debates show the candidates in an arena without the walls up around them, it removes some of the guardedness. The voters need to see them clearly. Michelle Bachmann did better in the last debate, but as usual she took on a little too much in her responses. She needs to limit herself to the issues and be sure of her facts when she answers. Whoever does her fact checking needs to fired. The debates help voters know the candidates and their positions. Many voters just don't research online for themselves and only go off what they see and hear.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I think debates show the candidates in an arena without the walls up around them, it removes some of the guardedness. The voters need to see them clearly. Michelle Bachmann did better in the last debate, but as usual she took on a little too much in her responses. She needs to limit herself to the issues and be sure of her facts when she answers. Whoever does her fact checking needs to fired. The debates help voters know the candidates and their positions. Many voters just don't research online for themselves and only go off what they see and hear.
I liked Michelle Bachmann ....until the other night, when she went to tinseltown on Leno. She really disappointed many folks....totally 'dodging' a core issue which she came out STRONG against....the homosexual issue.

Now, looking as fickle as she did....I don't trust her at all. She was just...''More of the same!''

Old 09-18-2011, 01:25 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
I liked Michelle Bachmann ....until the other night, when she went to tinseltown on Leno. She really disappointed many folks....totally 'dodging' a core issue which she came out STRONG against....the homosexual issue.

Now, looking as fickle as she did....I don't trust her at all. She was just...''More of the same!''

I didn't see her on Leno. I like her and some of her positions, but it bothers me when candidates continually get facts wrong. One or two little gaffes and it can be overlooked, but when it becomes too much they seem very ill prepared which makes me think they are not ready to President either. Also, some of ther statements about what she would do or expects are totally unrealistic.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't see her on Leno. I like her and some of her positions, but it bothers me when candidates continually get facts wrong. One or two little gaffes and it can be overlooked, but when it becomes too much they seem very ill prepared which makes me think they are not ready to President either. Also, some of ther statements about what she would do or expects are totally unrealistic.
I felt sorry for her...because CLEARLY...you notice how tentative...and nervous she is. On the other hand...the cold-blooded, ruthless poll-cats (the 'experienced' Ruthless politicians always running for prez) are arrogant, cocky, confident, and at ease (am I talking Rick Perry or Obama, well does the shoe fit?) and usually the 'evil' that we wind up with.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
You're kidding right? Perry, whose been in the race for all of one month, shouldn't agree to debate?
It'd probably benefit Perry to run from debates like he has his whole career. The debates clearly help Romney, he should debate every week.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I personally think the most skilled debator on the stage is Newt Gingrich but that doesn't mean he'd be the best president. However, I'm starting to think he might make a good Secretary of State if he'll clean out the State Department, too.

I'd have to find a job for John Bolton, though. I love that guy...maybe some kind of advisor job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections