Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

What impact will ending all wars and decreasing the Defense budget have on President Ron Paul's economy? Has he ever talked about it?

You know, there are a lot of people, employed in the private sector, who make things for and/or provide services for our troops on the ground, in the air and on the sea. Think of all those private sector people out of work, some of those private sector businesses going down entirely plus all of those soldiers, when the military size is cut, out on the street looking for work.

In fact, although he's never mentioned it, I kind of think President Obama isn't so gung ho at ending the wars now because his advisors have probably told him it will make the Obama economy a lot worse than what it is, despite his ideological desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What impact will ending all wars and decreasing the Defense budget have on President Ron Paul's economy? Has he ever talked about it?

You know, there are a lot of people, employed in the private sector, who make things for and/or provide services for our troops on the ground, in the air and on the sea. Think of all those private sector people out of work, some of those private sector businesses going down entirely plus all of those soldiers, when the military size is cut, out on the street looking for work.

In fact, although he's never mentioned it, I kind of think President Obama isn't so gung ho at ending the wars now because his advisors have probably told him it will make the Obama economy a lot worse than what it is, despite his ideological desires.
He's at least mentioned a few times in the debates that by bringing them home, they could spend their money HERE which would stimulate OUR economy rather than stimulating the economies of the 130 other countries where they are stationed. He says that would be a real "shot in the arm and boost to our economy alone". They could also protect our borders and they could be used, the National guard especially, for emergency evacuations during natural disasters.

It isn't like the members of the military will be fired as soon as they get home. The private sector that supports the military still will so I disagree with your second paragraph. As far as building weapons goes, it isn't as if the weapon mfrs were ever restricted to supplying them to our military alone.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:

First we would pull out of the middle east, leave a few bases in a few places, Ron Paul has never said anything about a weak defense, but a strong one. If cuts can be made overseas to projects for nation building etc you will find most of that is government spending for OTHER NATIONS not American jobs. Bringing them home and returning many to work at home and building bases here will help the economy. Also ending the long term committment to endless war will improve the outlook on US growth in this economy. HELL BUILD STARWARS!!! MISSILE DEFENSE!
Atleast its DEFENSE and something constitutional!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:

I also think this about the president regarding the wars we are involved in.

I too believe that there will be a lot of people out of work in the private sector should the wars come to an abrupt end. Also, if we are not at war then we won't need as many soldiers. I don't think that the soldiers will be fired I just think there will not be a need for as many recruits for a while until those who came in during the wars decide to leave.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

He will have to enforce the illegal alien laws!

Just like they did after WW-I & WW-II & Vietnam

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I too believe that there will be a lot of people out of work in the private sector should the wars come to an abrupt end. Also, if we are not at war then we won't need as many soldiers. I don't think that the soldiers will be fired I just think there will not be a need for as many recruits for a while until those who came in during the wars decide to leave.

Boo hoo hoo for the war profiteers. These suppliers can retool for other customers.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times
Quote:
Well if the military is just for providing jobs as you are implying, then why not bring them home?
We can just as well pay them to do nothing here, as we can to do nothing over there.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Well would that be so terrible? Many have been trying to come home anyway but they keep being sent on more tours to fight senseless wars! Let the ones who have served and want to retire, RETIRE! Then they can recruit those those who really want to join. We will have a strong rejuvenated military not a tired one that is spread too thin all over the world who have been repeatedly lied to as to why they are fighting in the first place.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Well if the military is just for providing jobs as you are implying, then why not bring them home?
We can just as well pay them to do nothing here, as we can to do nothing over there.
Right and the overhead costs will be GREATLY reduced as we won't have ongoing increasing medical expenses every time one of them gets injured.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:

Sure, prolong a war, and occupy foreign countries so we can hope that our horrible economy gets better. Awful logic, destruction is never a long term solution to improving an economy.

Bring them home, they buy houses, they spend money here in the economy, they get to be parents to their kids so they can raise future productive members of society. It will also vastly reduce the potential for and impact of having thousands of injured and disabled veterans to care for down the road.

I actually watched the History Channel special the other day on the Navy SEALS, and one of the interesting things I learned was that many of them start and own their own businesses... I'm sure its not just them that do it and other members of the military can do similar things.

We also stop wasting millions of gallons of oil per day running the military equipment over seas. This has the potential to lower fuel prices, reduce our foreign dependency, and improve the environment. Keep the ones we need in order to be well prepared and to protect our country.

There are SO many positives of ending all of the ridiculous wars, occupations, and casual lingerings in foreign countries where we are not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections