Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 12:47 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,647 times

Advertisements

Click on this link to finish the article.

The Mormon Curtain - Ex-Mormon News And Stories

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2011, at 08:54 AM
[SIZE=+2]Mormonism Is Not Viewed Favorably By Many Americans, Romney Is Running From Its Doctrines And Its Past And, In The End, His Image As A Cultist Will Catch Up With And Defeat Him [/SIZE]
Posted By Steve Benson
MITT ROMNEY - SECTION 3 [SIZE=-2]-Guid- [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]↑[/SIZE]
The fact is that cultified Romney is getting poll-rolled.

The bottom line is that 20% of Americans surveyed say they'd go for a Christian and not a Mormon:

"A recent poll found that one in five U.S. voters would support a Christian candidate over a Mormon."

("Mormonism a 'cult,' says pastor in comments on Romney," by CTVNews.ca Staff, 10 October 2011, at: http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...)

And this continuing fact that just won't die for Romney's Mormon brigade--Despite indications of "somewhat less" antagonism toward Romney's Mormonism this time around than was evident in 2008, the so-called “Mormon Question" remains a worrisome problem for Romney:

"This is where things currently stand--Polling conducted for the Washington Post and ABC News, Gallup, and the Pew Research Center in recent months has shown between 20 and 25 percent of Americans say they either won’t vote for a Mormon or would be less likely to vote for one."

("Why Mitt Romney’s ‘Mormon Question’ doesn’t matter (as much) in 2012," by Chris Cillizza, "The Fix," in "The Washington Post," 10 October 2011, at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/t...)

Indeed, these numbers are in sync with a summer poll earlier this year by Gallup showing that a sizable minority of Americans surveyed wouldn't vote for Romney because he is a Mormon:

"A Gallup poll released this week shows that 22 percent of Americans would not vote for a Mormon, even if that candidate were running in the voters’ own parties. The percentage is not statistically much different from when Gallup interviewed voters in 1967 (when 17 percent said they would not vote for a Mormon). But it’s notable that the number of Mormon-phobes spiked to 24 percent in 2007, as Romney was making his first run for president, and is back up to 22 percent now that Romney and Huntsman are running."

("Poll: Romney and Huntsman Face the Voters' Mormon Problem," by Susan Milligan, "U.S. News and World Report," 21 June 2011, at: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/s...)

Hard-core primary voters nominate candidates who are pushed to either ideological extreme in their positions during the primaries in order to garner the votes they need to get into the Big Race.

Romney may nor may not win his party's nomination but if he does, he will do so without a significant minority bloc of the Religious Right that forcefully does not regard him or accept him as a Christian.

Once (or if) Romney gets the GOP nod for the national sweepstakes, mainstream Americans (whether evangelical Christians or not) will weigh in and will not, in my opinion, be sufficiently satisfied or comfortable with Romney to vote him into the Oval Office.

Again, Americans do not trust him. They didn't in '08 and they won't in '12. As proof of that, worried GOP leaders/kingmakers are increasingly (and desperately) looking for a candidate who can win--meaning that they are not looking to Romney, even though in the end they may have to suck it up and accept him as the GOP nominee.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
I'm not a fan of Romney but it is sad that still so many Americans consider religion to be a major factor in a candidate...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I'm not a fan of Romney but it is sad that still so many Americans consider religion to be a major factor in a candidate...
I agree. I don't care for mormonism and think a lot of the beliefs are pretty bizarre, but all the mormons I've met have been fantastic, upstanding people. And frankly, I don't care if you're muslim, atheist or Christian. I want to know how you'll do running the country. This is why the founders said that there would be no religious test for office in the constitution. Thank God they put that clause in there.

I want my pastor to be a Christian. I don't care what my president is.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Hey, OP Neither is Obama

Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Religion should NOT be a factor at all.
That being said, I'm not religious at all. Raised Catholic and know all the stories..... but I also know the Mormon stories..and um.. yeah WOW.. it's pretty amazing people believe that stuff.

It's bad enough, imo, people believe in a virginal birth... but white native americans, jesus in america, PLATES?!... rofl.

But.. to each their own, I suppose.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
That being said, I'm not religious at all. Raised Catholic and know all the stories..... but I also know the Mormon stories..and um.. yeah WOW.. it's pretty amazing people believe that stuff.
And when you were Catholic, how would you have reacted to people saying that Catholics are cannibals who go to church every Sunday and chow down on Jesus' body and blood? When someone wants to make another religion look bad, it's so easy. All you have to do is tweek a word or two here and there, embellish the facts just a little, and you have something absolutely ludicrous.

Quote:
It's bad enough, imo, people believe in a virginal birth... but white native americans, jesus in america, PLATES?!... rofl.
So the idea that Jesus could have walked on water and raised people from the dead is marginally amusing, but the idea that He could have appeared on the other side of the world after His ascension and taught other people His gospel is downright hysterical? See, I don't get why.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 AM

First off, one of the biggest reasons Mormonism isn't view favorably by many Americans is that they are incredibly uninformed about what the religion actually teaches. People who would roll their eyes at the idea of asking a Muslim to explain Judaism or a Jehovah's Witness to explain Catholicism have no problem whatsever getting all of their information about Mormonism from anti-Mormon websites. And 90% of what they read is not accurate. Buy hey, if it sounds bizzare, kooky, and weird, that just gives them the justification they's looking for to ridicule it. They don't even care if the information they're posting is accurate or not.

Romney hasn't distanced himself from his religion one single solitary bit. He's just not wearing on his sleeve, nor should he be. Quality guy, you just hate Mormons. Everybody knows that. Isn't that all you're really saying here?

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-15-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I want my pastor to be a Christian. I don't care what my president is.
Too bad more people don't think this way.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
This thread is ridiculous. The source is an anti-Mormon propaganda site filled with inaccuracies. I really don't think Romney's Mormonism is a problem for most voters. I live in the heart of the Bible belt and I never hear this discussed as an issue. The only place I see this sort of stupid, uninformed drivel is when I come on here.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:30 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So the idea that Jesus could have walked on water and raised people from the dead is marginally amusing, but the idea that He could have appeared on the other side of the world after His ascension and taught other people His gospel is downright hysterical? See, I don't get why.
Do you honestly believe that Native Americans are descendants of the Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.