Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM

313 posts, read 834,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Credit given where credit due. Very wise assessment of this guy's proposal. devil in the details...which are always left 'hanging!'

Groceries are rising so much...so often NOW, that it is really alarming! I shop Walmart...and watch prices like a Hawk. WM has raised much 30% in just last 3 months.
Thank you QG.

Yes, it is very alarming. I was just discussing this today with some friends. Inflation is really kicking into high gear with all this money printing the Federal Reserve has been doing. Too bad the banks and corporations got bailed but the average Americans did not. Our costs keep going up and up.

Another thing that I am not so sure that I liked from the video. He mentioned that he had a long list of CEO's that he would like to put into his cabinet. We have an awful lot of corporatism in our government as it is. Will they be doing even more favors for the corporations? Or will they be working for you and me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
He said in the video that it would be on food. It would not be on things that were being resold like houses and cars that were previously owned.

I missed that. I am surprised it's not houses and cars but I am glad. That would be a killer. Even if by some chance Cain got the nomination and were elected, I don't see this ever being passed. Of course, other things I didn't think would be 10 years ago have been since, so never say never.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:22 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,665,473 times
Quote:
Thank you QG.

Yes, it is very alarming. I was just discussing this today with some friends. Inflation is really kicking into high gear with all this money printing the Federal Reserve has been doing. Too bad the banks and corporations got bailed but the average Americans did not. Our costs keep going up and up.

Another thing that I am not so sure that I liked from the video. He mentioned that he had a long list of CEO's that he would like to put into his cabinet. We have an awful lot of corporatism in our government as it is. Will they be doing even more favors for the corporations? Or will they be working for you and me?
''will they be working for you and me?''

I KNOW YOU DON'T NEED ME TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION.

Every 'red flag' on my radar flew up, when you said Cain said ''he had a long list of CEO's that he would like to put into his cabinet.''

You are paying attention. Cain already was off my list...now let's help get him off America's list. He's a 'Sweetheart of Corporate America,' wouldn't you say?

Seriously, after Cain looked so good in that last debate...'Somethin' had me feelin'.. not good...about him. Thankfully, I stopped promoting him.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
I like the 99 plan, but not the 999 plan.

One of those nines, is still taxing personal income. Bad deal!

I do feel those that receive the most free benefits from our government, get some skin in the game, so the boot can be felt by those, to see the problem with our nations bloated government.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Credit given where credit due. Very wise assessment of this guy's proposal. devil in the details...which are always left 'hanging!'

Groceries are rising so much...so often NOW, that it is really alarming! I shop Walmart...and watch prices like a Hawk. WM has raised much 30% in just last 3 months.
If your food bill has gone up 30% you are not a good shopper. Yes, food has incrreased lately on some things, maybe even some thing 30% and the size of packaging has gotten smaller as most of us know, but food prices haven't gone up quite that much.

For those of you who picked up on the taxes on food, I guess for some of us, that isn't anything we are not accustom to thus it won't seem so bad to us. One more thing: I think all this talk about Cain is moot as I think he will fade in the next 6 months. I could be wrong.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If your food bill has gone up 30% you are not a good shopper. Yes, food has incrreased lately on some things, maybe even some thing 30% and the size of packaging has gotten smaller as most of us know, but food prices haven't gone up quite that much.

For those of you who picked up on the taxes on food, I guess for some of us, that isn't anything we are not accustom to thus it won't seem so bad to us. One more thing: I think all this talk about Cain is moot as I think he will fade in the next 6 months. I could be wrong.

If you were paying in gold and silver, food prices have not risen at all since the 1800's.

That printing press is what makes food cost rise.

Supply and demand remain the same.

When a $1.25 is valued at .04¢ of gold, a loaf of bread still cost a nickle, but only you got a sneaky pay cut!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
I haven't watched the video, but will do so at home later today. My gut feeling is that 999 really sticks it to working people. Think of it: everybody, every family, has a certain amount of money they spend each month for primary needs (food, housing, commuting, clothes, etc). Although the wealthy often buy more expensive items for the basic needs of life, the difference in their spending versus that of the non-wealthy is not commensurate with their differences in income. Someone making $500,000 a year is not necessarily spending 14 times more each month than someone making $35,000 a year, and therefore the consumption tax between the two would be much closer than their incomes. So which person does it impact the hardest? The one who doesn't have a lot of money left over after paying their bills and tax! I believe it's better to make the financial impact of taxation more equitable, not to make more equitable the actual dollar amount people pay.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM

313 posts, read 834,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I find it to be a big deal when packaging gets smaller ie: the price going up as well as the obvious increases in food prices.

I don't see how a federal food tax would be different for those that already pay tax on food and those of us that don't pay tax on food. 9% increase is a 9% increase.

I agree that I don't think Cain will hold on, once more people realize that the average American will see the worst of his tax plan.

The thing that is alarming to me about the food issue is, I buy most of our food in bulk from a family run company that does it's best to bring us low prices. Just in the last month, I have seen some basics like beans and corn go up between 25-30%. These are bulk packaging where we don't usually see that kind of jump.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,665,473 times
Quote:
I find it to be a big deal when packaging gets smaller ie: the price going up as well as the obvious increases in food prices.

I don't see how a federal food tax would be different for those that already pay tax on food and those of us that don't pay tax on food. 9% increase is a 9% increase.

I agree that I don't think Cain will hold on, once more people realize that the average American will see the worst of his tax plan.

The thing that is alarming to me about the food issue is, I buy most of our food in bulk from a family run company that does it's best to bring us low prices. Just in the last month, I have seen some basics like beans and corn go up between 25-30%. These are bulk packaging where we don't usually see that kind of jump.

I confirm...100%, because I am a keen-eyed shopper, you are exactly correct on the numbers being 25-30% jump in prices...in a short time!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,030,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Video - GOP Candidate Herman Cain on How 9-9-9 Can Fix the Economy - WSJ.com

He explains the 9-9-9- plan and debunks the idea that it is regressive, among other things.
No, what Cain said is: that Congress would need a 2/3 majority to increase the tax percentage. He used phrases like "The American people will hold Congress to the fire"...
Please... last time I checked the American people have not only had their eyebrows singed, they've been fried to a crisp with the actions of Congress You do remember, 97 percent of the American people were AGAINST TARP.

It's another tax, without getting rid of the first one. Cain is touting himself as the math guy but he doesn't have a clue about the bigger picture of a tax system.

He wants us to wait to see what's behind door number two for an appointment to replace Bernacke, all the while defending the Federal Reserve.

He touts CEO's that he can not mention that will be part of his team... A "you'll just have to wait and see" attitude. I hear CEO's do that a lot with employees... we used to call it "dangling the carrot" - today we just call it what it is - bull****ting

Pizza man may be on the rise, but his tax plan falls flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections