Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Tell me if I'm wrong here. Herman Cain does not want to get rid of the income tax. He just wants to lower the rate to 9 percent plus he wants to add a 9 percent national sales tax.

Well, if we aren't getting rid of the income tax, we're just lowering the rate, plus we're adding a national sales tax that we don't have now, doesn't that mean the size of government will have to get bigger, specifically the IRS? They are going to have to add a whole new sales tax division that they don't have now. We're talking A LOT of new government employees here. But lowering the income tax rate to 9 percent doesn't mean the IRS needs less bodies in the individual income tax division. They'll still need the same amount of people.

So, is Herman Cain increasing the size of government? Specifically, is he making the IRS bigger not smaller?

Last edited by LauraC; 10-08-2011 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 PM

309 posts, read 427,898 times
According to Cain's own website, his 999 plan is Phase I where the 15.3% employment tax, capital gains and death taxes are eliminated and replaced by 9% plus a 9% nationals sales tax plus the 9% corporate tax which of course is passed on to consumers too. Phase II is where he talks about the ability to then get rid of the IRS. I could not back any plan for any new taxes until the IRS is eliminated first. Under ObamaCare the IRS will already get 16-17,000 new agents to manage the requirement all citizens are paying for health care or else pay the penalties which are to be collected by the IRS. Enough! As if the IRS doesn't already have too much power.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
Spot on!

I can only imagine that plan leading to the europeanization of our tax code aside from the added workforce it would enable the IRS to hire.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong here. Herman Cain does not want to get rid of the income tax. He just wants to lower the rate to 9 percent plus he wants to add a 9 percent national sales tax.

Well, if we aren't getting rid of the income tax, we're just lowering the rate, plus we're adding a national sales tax that we don't have now, doesn't that mean the size of government will have to get bigger, specifically the IRS? They are going to have to add a whole new sales tax division that they don't have now. We're talking A LOT of new government employees here. But lowering the income tax rate to 9 percent doesn't mean the IRS needs less bodies in the individual income tax division. They'll still need the same amount of people.

So, is Herman Cain increasing the size of government? Specifically, is he making the IRS bigger not smaller?
If they lowered the rate to 9%, but ALSO eliminated many of the deductions, then returns would be a lot simpler. Simpler returns would mean less audits and less manhours. Some if not most of the 47% of the deadbeats that pay no income tax do file returns, but usually get refunds. Perhaps, Cain's plan would call for contrib from them too. Maybe IRS would be status quo due to all of these factors.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
most people including myself dont know what the hell it is.

honestly people just rave about it because its something theyve never heard before.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
The problem isn't revenue it's about out of control spending. When we the people are in debt we don't run out and spend, spend, spend hoping that cures the problem. That's lunacy. That's government.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Cain, another big spender.

You can see it.

Where is his plan to cut the size of the bloated government?
Nothing?

What is his grand plan for Afghanistan? Iraq? Libya? Iran?
What is his stance on equal & unequal free trade?
Illegal alien parasites?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Cain, another big spender.

You can see it.

Where is his plan to cut the size of the bloated government?
Nothing?

What is his grand plan for Afghanistan? Iraq? Libya? Iran?
What is his stance on equal & unequal free trade?
Illegal alien parasites?
Herman Cains column

September 1, 2008
Economic Growth Surges, but Democrats Ignore the Truth Again

While the Democrats had their week of unchallenged propaganda about their party – how perfect it is and how terrible the Republicans are – the latest good news about the economy and the average adjusted gross income went unnoticed.

North Star Writers Group - Syndicated Commentary: Opinion, Humor and Features

Here’s what happened over the following two weeks:
– Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were taken over by the U.S. government (Sept. 7);
– Merrill Lynch was sold to Bank of America;
– Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy;
– The Fed bailed out AIG;
– Washington Mutual was sold to JP MorganChase;
– Treasury Secretary Paulson said the economy was so bad that $700 billion must be spent on bailouts immediately; otherwise, warned Ben Bernanke, “we may not have an economy on Monday.”

ONE WEEK Before Collapse, Cain Says Economy Great | Tom Woods

Ron Paul in 2002 "During the next decade American people will be much poorer and less free while they become more dependent on the government for economic security"

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:

Don't know, we are still trying to find out who wrote it, so an explanation of it can be made available.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:

Yes! And you know how taxes work. Sure, Cain will lower them to 9 9 9. But in short order, someone will decide to raise the taxes. Income tax and sales tax will start creeping up. And now, we'll have two taxes to contend with. Cain's idea is terrible. I can't believe this is coming from the supposedly conservative side of the aisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections