Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph107 View Post
Average unemployment rate by year. Does anyone still believe obamanomics works?

Clinton 1993 6.9%
Clinton 1994 6.1%
Clinton 1995 5.6%
Clinton 1996 5.4%
Clinton 1997 4.9%
Clinton 1998 4.5%
Clinton 1999 4.2%
Clinton 2000 4%
Bush 2001 4.7%
Bush 2002 5.8%
Bush 2003 6%
Bush 2004 5.5%
Bush 2005 5.1%
Bush 2006 4.6%
Bush 2007 4.6%
Bush 2008 5.8%
Obama 2009 9.3%
Obama 2010 9.6%

Where can I find the unemployment rate for previous years?
You really need to look up something on wikipedia called the late 2000s recession. This little gimmick might work against elementary school kids, but you can't fool us into think Obama is repsonsible for a 9% employment rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
You really need to look up something on wikipedia called the late 2000s recession. This little gimmick might work against elementary school kids, but you can't fool us into think Obama is repsonsible for a 9% employment rate.
Yes, because I'm sure he'll have it all the way down to 8.5% or so after his first four years.

Obama could be President for life and you'd be telling us that 10% unemployment in 2050 wasn't his fault.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Obama will probably run on the same platform FDR ran on in 1936. Unemployment was nearly 15%, the Great Depression was still grinding on, but he won re-election. Most Americans were smart enough to realize that the solution to the mess would take much longer than one four year term. Meanwhile, the Republicans were running on a platform of deregulation, dismantling government, and returning to the policies that lead to the crash (sound familiar?). Most Americans knew better than to put those guys back in power.
United States presidential election, 1936 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what will Obama run on:
- Ending the war in Iraq; we should have never gone there in the first place. The last rotation is coming home now; I've seen a lot of deployment orders cancelled and we are actively closing bases there. Afghanistan is close behind.
- Supporting democracy in the Middle East. Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Yemen, and soon Syria. Democracy is messy, but it's much better than the dictators that used to run those places. In particular Libya was an active supporter of terrorism; unlike Iraq they targeted and killed Americans. In time Qadaffi will meet the fate of Bin Ladin and the rest of the terrorists we've hunted down and killed.
- Frank-Dodd. For once Americans have a single agency in on their side against a financial industry that has shown no regard for humanity in its insatiable lust for profits.
- Obamacare. Yes, you read that right. Despised by the right, yet many people will recognize it is moving the United States to join the rest of the world were medical care is not just a privilege for the wealthy.
- Saving the American automotive industry. Had Republicans had their way, GM and Chrysler would have declared bankrupcy, and the aftershocks would have resulted in +20% unemployment. Instead these companies have turned themselves around and are on schedule to payback their loans to the government.
- In the next several months, Obama will force Congress to implement real reforms thanks to the deal he made with Congress during the debt ceiling pseudo-crisis. At the time Republicans throught the won the day; however the President will have less to lose if he vetos the legislation that's due by December. Republicans will have to choose between raising taxes on the wealthy or deep cuts to defense spending. Meanwhile the President will have the power to select where he will apply the mandatory spending cuts; expect him to slice spending that Republicans favor (ie, farm subsidies)
This is a stellar post. Finally someone with some sense.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yes, because I'm sure he'll have it all the way down to 8.5% or so after his first four years.

Obama could be President for life and you'd be telling us that 10% unemployment in 2050 wasn't his fault.
The unemployment rate was already well over 7% when Obama took office. If you believe any man could've stopped it from snowballing to over 9% that year, I have some stocks I'd like to sell you. The housing market was still plummeting and foreclosures were still increasing. What could a POTUS have done to stop this? The housing market still hasn't even bottomed out yet.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate was already well over 7% when Obama took office. If you believe any man could've stopped it from snowballing to over 9% that year, I have some stocks I'd like to sell you. The housing market was still plummeting and foreclosures were still increasing. What could a POTUS have done to stop this? The housing market still hasn't even bottomed out yet.
So, what you're saying is that no matter what happens with the economy on a President's watch, the President is powerless to influence it AND no matter what the results are you won't hold him accountable.

I'm guessing you weren't this forgiving when any Republican was in office.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
So, what you're saying is that no matter what happens with the economy on a President's watch, the President is powerless to influence it AND no matter what the results are you won't hold him accountable.

I'm guessing you weren't this forgiving when any Republican was in office.
You're not understanding that what I'm saying is the economy didn't collapse on Obama's watch. He literally came into office several months after the biggest economic collapse since 1929. Show me an example in history of such a big economic crisis that was literally halted and then turned around in only a few years by the actions of a president/prime minister/king. If our country is working as it should, the POTUS shouldn't even have the dictatorial power to make significant changes to the market, because our country was founded on free market principles with minimal government intervention. Republicans claim to believe in this ideology, but then when the market collapses, instead of letting the free market correct itself like its designed to do, they run back to the government and say "Mr. President, do something!"

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
His wonderful grand economy. Oh wait the housing crisis, which is the worse one we have ever had. No wait, high high unemployment, and the poor people who have lost their jobs under this President, oh no wait and some their homes too, a job and their home, as some of the 16 families i know of who have lost either a home and also their job. How terrible being on a job for over twenty years, and then boom.

Or businesses not wanting to hire because of obama, or exapnd. Oh wait the overaul economy, oh maybe the fact that everything has gone up thanks Obama.

Or maybe he can thow the bull again, and say it is CHANGE, now who could fall for that line, or be that stupid, to believe a line like Hope n' Change, no one i know. And you.

Nothing is working so far, because if it was, we would not be in the predictiment we are currently in, don't be stupid enough to fall for this again.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I can hear his campaign speech now/
In 08 I said I would do what no president before me ever did, That I would do what none dared do before. I know many said no you can't. But I am here to say yes I can.
I have spent more money than any before me.
I have hired more idiots than any in history.
I have kissed more azz than Jimmy carter and I liked it.
I won a peace prize without ever doing anything to deserve it.
Folks I am here to tell you that I single handedly made more money for insurance companies than any and all presidents combined.
If you elect me president again I promise to make the first 4 years look like the term of miserly intent. I promise to make the rich pay your mortgages every one who votes for me will get 1 million dollars as part of my new jobs bill and a new car for every house hold. Yes I know I can't deliver any of what I promise but so what I am promising free stuff and all of you will vote for me because you love free stuff.
Brilliant

Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Yes it belongs to Obama the job killing machine.

He stole 850 BILLION dollars and said it would create 5 million new jobs.

Money is gone, 5 million jobs lost, record foreclosures, record debt, record spending, record bankruptcies.

What a record he has?

Oh, he said the rate would never go above 8% and it has never been below it.

This current economy is OWNED BY OBAMA and his policies.

Sure betting if the rate was 4.7 like Bush you would be giving him all the credit.

One big lying failure is what he is, deal with it. Corruption, lets talk about that on his record.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Yes it belongs to Obama the job killing machine.

He stole 850 BILLION dollars and said it would create 5 million new jobs.

Money is gone, 5 million jobs lost, record foreclosures, record debt, record spending, record bankruptcies.

What a record he has?

Oh, he said the rate would never go above 8% and it has never been below it.

This current economy is OWNED BY OBAMA and his policies.

Sure betting if the rate was 4.7 like Bush you would be giving him all the credit.

One big lying failure is what he is, deal with it. Corruption, lets talk about that on his record.

And you and your ilk take absolutely no responsibility for any of it. Demonstrates the blowhard mentality to a tee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections