Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
I think he can win Nevada or New Hampshire.I would say Nevada has a better chance simply bc Romney's home state is so close to New Hampshire a lot of people know him.

Romney is also very well known and liked in Nevada. Did you watch the last debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
WSJ: Can Ron Paul win the GOP presidential nomination?

Well looks like 26k people say yes.
No he won't, so I'm writing him in.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 AM

865 posts, read 676,241 times
Well if the GOP wants to replace Obama, they have to back Ron Paul. Otherwise nobody on the republican side will win the general just because of the sheer fact that Ron and other potential 3rd parties will split the vote.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Well if the GOP wants to replace Obama, they have to back Ron Paul. Otherwise nobody on the republican side will win the general just because of the sheer fact that Ron and other potential 3rd parties will split the vote.
This is gonna be true

Im not gonna vote for anyone but Paul and this is a great point

Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 AM

865 posts, read 676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
This is gonna be true

Im not gonna vote for anyone but Paul and this is a great point

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but it's the truth. I'm just waiting for people to start shooting the messenger.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
His ideals will live on and someone will take up the torch because there is a demand for liberty.
Yes, his ideals will live on and someone will take up the torch.

However, my general assessment is that 90% of the population is scared sick at the prospect of liberty because of the responsibility that comes with it. Most people want something for nothing, hence the mediocre welfare systems that permeate the aging countries of early industrialization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
No he won't, so I'm writing him in.
Barring a miracle, no he won't.

Again, by my general assessment, the 2012 elections will be unimportant: most likely, either Obama will be re-elected or Romney (or some other corporate stooge from one of the two so-called parties) will be elected, and there is no substantial difference between them, the make-up of the Senate will be somewhere in the 59-41 range between so-called democrats and republicans (probably something like 52-48 democrat), it makes no difference, and the republicans will maintain a majority in the House, though possibly a smaller one than what they have now.

In short, the electorate, on aggregate, scared sick at the prospect of freedom and the responsibility that comes with it, will opt for the status quo.

Nonetheless, I too will write-in Ron Paul, like in 2008, and even at the mid-term elections, as a matter of conscience and spirit.

Good Luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Yes, his ideals will live on and someone will take up the torch.

However, my general assessment is that 90% of the population is scared sick at the prospect of liberty because of the responsibility that comes with it. Most people want something for nothing, hence the mediocre welfare systems that permeate the aging countries of early industrialization.

(...)
I agree. Real freedom (real personal responsibility, where only you can be blamed for your mistakes) frightens human beings, which partially helps explain why not only welfarism but also totalitarian governments have always had so many sympathizers around the globe. Government control makes people feel safe, and they generally won't mind the fact that this safety is false and dangerous. When there's a crisis, this tendency towards self-enslavement normally increases.

But I like Ron Paul. He's different and he looks like an honest and fair man. I hope he wins.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM

529 posts, read 363,837 times
Hopefully Rand Paul takes up the torch of liberty after his father is gone.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default Can Ron Paul win the Republican Nomination?

No way. The GOP establsihment would never allow it. Unfortunately. Paul would make for a terrific campaign.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM

910 posts, read 1,676,750 times
I think there is a possibility, but it would have to be brought about solely through the grassroots movement. I'm going to pass out flyers this weekend at a major "hangout" spot around Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections