Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Gingrich make a comeback?
Yes 14 35.90%
No 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 AM

910 posts, read 1,677,023 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think? I think he will soon, but it might end up being a short rise with all his "baggage."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM

400 posts, read 294,176 times
I think it likely that Gingrich will be the next to experience the "Let's look at this guy before we settle for Romney" surge. Since the PR problems of several months ago (the Greek vacation while advisors were quitting and the Tiffany's silliness), he's managed to run a lean (ie, cheap) and competent campaign, slowly building some initial momentum.

One chronic problem for Gingrich has been that he is undisciplined and liable to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. If he can remain disciplined (a big 'if') he may peak at just the right time (ie, Iowa) and could then be the anti-Romney when it matters most.

Do I think he'll be the nominee? No, but I'd put his odds at higher than Bachmann (who is barely hanging on at this point), Cain (who is revealing that he really doesn't know how to run a campaign, and probably never intended to actually be competitive) and even with the flailing Perry.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
He is going to probably make a brief little upswing. It more than likely won't last. The GOP knows he is way too damaged to be the nominee. It's just too risky. I am not even sure they would risk him as a VP pick. I don't some of the younger or less informed voters realize the baggage Newt has.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
What do you guys think? I think he will soon, but it might end up being a short rise with all his "baggage."
I wish I could feel positive, but I just don't see it happening.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
He is going to probably make a brief little upswing. It more than likely won't last. The GOP knows he is way too damaged to be the nominee. It's just too risky. I am not even sure they would risk him as a VP pick. I don't some of the younger or less informed voters realize the baggage Newt has.
I could see a Perry-Gingrich ticket, as Gingrich's DC history and technocrat/wonkish aspects would nicely balance a DC outsider who is seen more of a generalist than an ideas man.

But as for the more likely scenario of a Romney nomination, Gingrich doesn't match up well at all. I would be very surprised if Romney doesn't feel compelled to pick a Southern evangelical. Someone like Haley Barbour (like him, not necessarily him). And

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
I could see a Perry-Gingrich ticket, as Gingrich's DC history and technocrat/wonkish aspects would nicely balance a DC outsider who is seen more of a generalist than an ideas man.

But as for the more likely scenario of a Romney nomination, Gingrich doesn't match up well at all. I would be very surprised if Romney doesn't feel compelled to pick a Southern evangelical. Someone like Haley Barbour (like him, not necessarily him). And
Good point: he should balance out the ticket if he gets the nomination. A strong conservative from the south would be the perfect choice.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 01:18 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
You made the accurate assessment. Gingrich proved he is not 'fit' to be POTUSA.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,952 times
I would like to see a Cain / Gingrich combination. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2011 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
What baggage?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
What baggage?
Every candidate has baggage and Newt Gingrich is no exception. In fact, his baggage is fairly well known, seeing as how he has been in the public eye for so long. Surely you can remember some of the following:

*Reprimanding by the House of Representatives for ethics violations
*1998 mid-term elections, which went so badly for the GOP that Gingrich resigned from Congress the next day
*Impeachment, which was very unpopular (and which contributed to the aforementioned poor performance of the GOP during the 1998 mid-terms)
*His - shall we say, turbulent - marital history
*Certain imprudent statements, such as telling the press that he caused the 1995 government shutdown in retaliation for the perceived slight of being seated towards the back of Air Force One en route to Yitzak Rabin's funeral

I am not saying that these are insurmountable problems for Gingrich in getting the nomination - I'm not saying they aren't, either. But they do exist and they are baggage. Abundant baggage tends to go hand in hand with a long public career.

On the plus side for Gingrich, that long period of scrutiny means his closet has been pretty well scoured for skeletons, unlike some people who have not been looked at so intensely for so many years. So we're less likely to see surprising revelations about Gingrich from here on out, as opposed to the claims currently enveloping the Cain campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections