Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

I'm currently visiting my parents who retired to suburban Charlotte (S.C side). Despite not being a Republican, my dad has received numerous mailings from the various GOP candidates over the last several months.

Granted, he is eligible of voting in the Primary as S.C does not register by party, but has no intention of doing so and has received a bunch of mailings. Just showed me one he just got for Ron Paul. In the mailing its not about Paul's economic views or his libertarian ideology. Its about hardcore social conservatism, how Christian he is, abortion and having an overturn Roe V Wade litmus test for judges. Paul has never been all that libertarian when it came down to social issues, but surprised to see how far off his small govt message he has gotten and instead go into how much of a Christian and social conservative he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:42 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I actually just saw Paul's christmas ad with his son Rand on it. They are pulling the jesus card big time as well as trying to pander to the tea party nuts. I think Ron sees that the extreme right "anyone but Romney" teabaggers are going to need a good reason to vote for him over Romney, as Paul's anti-war, anti-fascism, anti-big government stances are the complete opposite of what the GOP/tea party stands for. All Paul really has to cater to these people is to go into full on Jesus mode and pushing his strong pro-life stances.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:45 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
As a libertarian who named his son after Ayn Rand, I'd be shocked if Ron Paul wasn't an atheist. Stupid pandering.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 AM

51 posts, read 44,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
As a libertarian who named his son after Ayn Rand, I'd be shocked if Ron Paul wasn't an atheist. Stupid pandering.
No, that's not true! He's name is Randal. I read somewhere that Ron Paul thought of Randal Cremer, nobel peace price winner:
William Randal Cremer

Ron Paul is a baptist. I think his brother is a priest.

The American obsession with religion is very very exotic for Europeans like me. It's like this, because all religiously interested Europeans emigrated to the US because of the religious oppression here. Only those who don't care about religion stayed. Americans have two primary cultural characteristics: 1) Everyone is a fanatic Christian. Taliban grade fanatism! 2) Most of them speak English...

I think the reason for why Americans are obsessed with islamists, is because they have very much in common, basically identical world views. Religious people have always been busy killing each other.

Last edited by PeaceInOurTime; 12-25-2011 at 12:29 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 02:16 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceInOurTime View Post
No, that's not true! He's name is Randal. I read somewhere that Ron Paul thought of Randal Cremer, nobel peace price winner:
William Randal Cremer

Ron Paul is a baptist. I think his brother is a priest.

The American obsession with religion is very very exotic for Europeans like me. It's like this, because all religiously interested Europeans emigrated to the US because of the religious oppression here. Only those who don't care about religion stayed. Americans have two primary cultural characteristics: 1) Everyone is a fanatic Christian. Taliban grade fanatism! 2) Most of them speak English...

I think the reason for why Americans are obsessed with islamists, is because they have very much in common, basically identical world views. Religious people have always been busy killing each other.
Your first point might be right. I just assumed he was named after Ayn Rand -- if you're right my mistake.

Your second point is assanine. Americans are more religious than Europeans, but only slightly. We have a few crazy Christains who are willing to blow themselves up, but they are an extreme minority -- a fraction of one percent.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm currently visiting my parents who retired to suburban Charlotte (S.C side). Despite not being a Republican, my dad has received numerous mailings from the various GOP candidates over the last several months.

Granted, he is eligible of voting in the Primary as S.C does not register by party, but has no intention of doing so and has received a bunch of mailings. Just showed me one he just got for Ron Paul. In the mailing its not about Paul's economic views or his libertarian ideology. Its about hardcore social conservatism, how Christian he is, abortion and having an overturn Roe V Wade litmus test for judges. Paul has never been all that libertarian when it came down to social issues, but surprised to see how far off his small govt message he has gotten and instead go into how much of a Christian and social conservative he is.
Actually, that stands to be a good thing for Paul. There are false notions that Ron Paul is over-focused on his core issues and disregards other things. Now hopefully he has more sense than the rest of the crowd of proud Christians running. Attacking Romney's religion and calling it non-Christian or a cult or anything like that, and he goes from man of faith to religious bigot very quickly. Playing to the Evangelical crowd is something you don't want to overdo.

Overturning Roe v Wade is actually something he's said a lot about before. He holds that the state government should make the choice as to the legality of abortion. It's highly surprising that the Supreme Court ruled on the issue to begin with as it is a "who's human rights are more important, mother or child?" issue. It's not as clear cut as a racial discrimination case for example. The Supreme Court has gone way out on a limb on this and many other issues, and the core problem is that they've usurped legislative power in this and numerous other cases.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Your first point might be right.
Quote:
I just assumed
he was named after Ayn Rand -- if you're right my mistake.

Your second point is assanine. Americans are more religious than Europeans, but only slightly. We have a few crazy Christains who are willing to blow themselves up, but they are an extreme minority -- a fraction of one percent.
This cracks me up, and here I thought you were making educated statements about Paul. You better start reading before you talk.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I actually just saw Paul's christmas ad with his son Rand on it. They are pulling the jesus card big time as well as trying to pander to the tea party nuts. I think Ron sees that the extreme right "anyone but Romney" teabaggers are going to need a good reason to vote for him over Romney, as Paul's anti-war, anti-fascism, anti-big government stances are the complete opposite of what the GOP/tea party stands for. All Paul really has to cater to these people is to go into full on Jesus mode and pushing his strong pro-life stances.

The original Tea People's "godfather" has to pander for votes from Constitutional Conservatives?

You guys are throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:20 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
My faith is a deeply private issue to me, and I don’t speak on it in great detail during my speeches because I want to avoid any appearance of exploiting it for political gain. Let me be very clear here: I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, and I endeavor every day to follow Him in all I do and in every position I advocate.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Another Ron Paul thread, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections