Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I just can't understand why they're doing this. Republicans keep signing one stupid ass pledge after another. What is wrong with these guys?

I'll give Perry credit on his latest conversion. Good for him. No abortions for anyone regardless of incest or rape. That takes guts. He won't win the presidency with that stand, but at least he's consistent.

The sad thing is, the guys are going after the fruitcake right, and those aren't the people that are going to win them the election. Those folks are going to vote Republican anyway. They need to be trying to convince Independents and wavering Dems that are dissatisfied with Obama. You aren't going to get them with these ridiculous proclamations.

But oh well...i'm not a Repub, so i don't care.
Thats a big problem for them. They desperately want the vote of the religious right but in doing so, they are losing the vote of the independants and dems who are unhappy with Obama. If Obama wins, repubs will have no one to blame but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you said it: extremists. The abortion laws will, most likely never be changed and for The Santorum situation: I am pro life, most of the time but agree with their decision. There are rare times when abortion is the only answer and if moms life is at stake, especially when there are other children involved, the choice is a simple one. For all those out there that are extremist on the right there are those on the left that are judgemental and love to preach their side as well. In our family, about 18 months ago we were faced with a similar situation. Our granddaughter who is 100% pro life had to make that decision, because of her little daughter she choose to abort. It was the hardest choice she has ever made.

Nita

Well said, Nita. I am certainly prolife, but there are unforutnate situations when abortion has be an option. The extreme position of no abortion in any situation is going way too far. Politicians need to quit pandering to certain groups of people and use some common sense. You can be prolife and not be so extreme that it doesn't even make sense.

I feel for your grandaughter. I understand what she went through. It's a very difficult position to be in.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Most people who are against abortion do support exceptions that would include situations such as these.""""

Then why are they against abortions?

"""""Most people who are pro-choice support abortion being illegal after a certain point in the pregnancy with exceptions when the life of the woman is at risk. I don't understand how one is hypocritical while the other is not.
Pro-choice people believe the fetus is NOT a baby, not viable, before the legal limit. No hypocrasy there.

Anti-choice people believe from the split second of conception it's a baaaaaby and THEY think any abortion is killing a baby!.

Then they FLIP FLOP when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest or the life of the mother is in danger and say it's OK.

SO, the logical conlcusion is that Anti-choicers wish to punish/control the women who enjoyed the sex. If they didn't enjoy the sex or their life is in danger the Anti-choicers think it's just fine to kill the baaaaaby!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Pro-choice people believe the fetus is NOT a baby, not viable, before the legal limit. No hypocrasy there.

Anti-choice people believe from the split second of conception it's a baaaaaby and THEY think any abortion is killing a baby!.

Then they FLIP FLOP when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest or the life of the mother is in danger and say it's OK.

SO, the logical conlcusion is that Anti-choicers wish to punish/control the women who enjoyed the sex. If they didn't enjoy the sex or their life is in danger the Anti-choicers think it's just fine to kill the baaaaaby!
Why do pro-choice people think that after a certain point in a pregnancy a women's life being at risk changes the situation? My point was that the pro-choice and anti-abortion people have the same view about exceptions; the anti-abortion people at all stages of pregnancy, the pro-choice people after a certain point.

There's a lot of hypocrisy from both sides on the abortion issue.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why do pro-choice people think that after a certain point in a pregnancy a women's life being at risk changes the situation? '''

Because pro-choice people believe in a woman having choice...

""My point was that the pro-choice and anti-abortion people have the same view about exceptions;"""

No, they don't....the "exceptions" are not the same.

"" the anti-abortion people at all stages of pregnancy, the pro-choice people after a certain point.
Pro-choice people do NOT believe in punishing women who enjoyed the sex...anti-choice people do....and anti-choice people should object to abortion "to save the life of the mother" but I doubt they would if it was someone they cared about.
Try rereading:

Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
So do pro-choice people after the point at which they think abortion should no longer be allowed (which varies from pro-choice person to pro-choice person).

Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,323 times
From the outset of this debate I have always wondered why anyone on either side thinks its the government's business to stick its nose into something that should be a private decision between a woman and her doctor.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I just can't understand why they're doing this. Republicans keep signing one stupid ass pledge after another. What is wrong with these guys?

I'll give Perry credit on his latest conversion. Good for him. No abortions for anyone regardless of incest or rape. That takes guts. He won't win the presidency with that stand, but at least he's consistent.

The sad thing is, the guys are going after the fruitcake right, and those aren't the people that are going to win them the election. Those folks are going to vote Republican anyway. They need to be trying to convince Independents and wavering Dems that are dissatisfied with Obama. You aren't going to get them with these ridiculous proclamations.

But oh well...i'm not a Repub, so i don't care.
Interesting that a Dem understands this and Repubs do not. As I've said on here a few times, to hell with the Republican party.

THIS is what you get from the Republican party.

Now, I may be pro-life but again, I do NOT want the Federal Government involved. It should be up to the states. I do not want Bachman or Perry or any of them deciding what is law, I want the STATES to decide that.

Whatever, Republicans...shoot your idiotic selves in the foot, once Ron Paul becomes President, or once some fool is declared the GOP candidate, I'm OUT of this ridiculous party.

Independent, here I come. You lunatics on both sides can keep your crazy people.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:

Seriously, the drama.

I don't believe shooting someone is ok to do.

HOWEVER, if someone is threatening me or mine with severe injury or death, I believe shooting someone is ok.

Do you see it is NOT black and white?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
From the outset of this debate I have always wondered why anyone on either side thinks its the government's business to stick its nose into something that should be a private decision between a woman and her doctor.
Because some people see a fetus as a baby.

I don't think a first trimester fetus (which is actually an embryo) is a baby but, at some point during pregnancy, the law should protect the fetus IMO. I think after the first trimester - with exceptions for extreme circumstances - would be a good place. That is the situation in most of Europe (countries that are more liberal than the US generally) and abortion isn't an issue there like it is in the US.

The vast majority of people (even most hardcore liberals) do not feel that elective third trimester abortions should be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections