Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not going to belabor the point, but what he was doing during that time was not exactly out partying with the frat boys and having a big time. I won't compare to being in Vietnam, because I had many relatives in that nightmare and I am not sure Hell could compare, but he was doing something very honorable just the same.
Imagine if Romney was a Democrat who did "missionary' work in France in lieu of military service to America when it was desperately needed, what would conservatives say about him? Romney certainly fits the bill as a French elitist.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Romney did what a lot of upper class kids did during the Vietnam War---he got a deferment so he didn't have to serve. Whether you like it or not, it wasn't hard for the wealthy to do and perfectly legal.

Mormon church obtained Vietnam draft deferrals for Romney, other missionaries - The Boston Globe
Missionaries from all churches were exempt from the draft during the Vietnam War. All they had to do was request a deferral and it was granted.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-03-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
So I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is. If your children don't join the military, you're unpatriotic?
I'm not saying he is unpatriotic. He just looks less credible as a political candidate running on a platform as a patriot when he and his 5 sons never saw it fit to serve their country as true patriots often do.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
You also have no understanding of the LDS and what they all are expected to do as a devout LDS member. Do you not understand that all of his sons went on a mission as part of their faith and the duties involved? They are required to do this around the time some join the military.
LDS young men are not required to serve missions, but strongly encouraged to. Roughly 1/3 of those who are eligible to serve end up doing so.

Actually, I'm having a hard time seeing what the fact that none of Romney's sons have served in the armed forces has to do with anything. In times when the draft is not in effect, most young men don't sign up. The Romney boys are certainly not unique in their choice not to.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
So I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is. If your children don't join the military, you're unpatriotic?
I read the OP and the last page. I will use the time I saved by skipping the BS in the middle to heat dinner.

My inference is that maybe the point was we should have elected McCain, or?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Then how is it that other LDS young men managed to join and serve their country? What makes the Romney boys uniquely exempt from military service?
Seriously, why should they be compelled to do something that hundreds of thousands of other young men of various religions choose not to do? It sounds to me like you think they should be treated differently than other young men, and I can't understand why. The choice to join the military is a personal one and not choosing to join is nothing a person should be ashamed of.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
I am not going to belabor the point, but what he was doing during that time was not exactly out partying with the frat boys and having a big time. I won't compare to being in Vietnam, because I had many relatives in that nightmare and I am not sure Hell could compare, but he was doing something very honorable just the same.
What does it matter what he was doing while on a deferment? The point is he chose to avoid the draft by getting a deferment. I don't judge him harshly for doing it, BUT its disingenuous for you to try to make Romney into some kind of saint for taking a mission trip to cushy France to sit out the war instead of going to college. And for the record most of those kids who got deferments for college weren't partying much because they knew they had to get good grades to stay in college to keep their deferments.

What his sons did or didn't do is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
What does it matter what he was doing while on a deferment? The point is he chose to avoid the draft by getting a deferment. I don't judge him harshly for doing it, BUT its disingenuous for you to try to make Romney into some kind of saint for taking a mission trip to cushy France to sit out the war instead of going to college. And for the record most of those kids who got deferments for college weren't partying much because they knew they had to get good grades to stay in college to keep their deferments.
The main flaw in your thinking, Wayland Woman, is that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that Romney's served an LDS mission in order to "sit out the war" in "cushy France." Whether there had been a war or not, Romney, as a believing Mormon young man, would have almost certainly chosen to serve a mission. Furthermore, when he informed the bishop of his LDS ward (congregation) that he was interested in serving, he would have had no choice whatsoever as to where he was sent. He could have been sent anywhere in the world. Many missionaries are sent to third-world countries, and it doesn't matter one darned bit who you happen to be or who your dad is.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:

What his sons did or didn't do is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
Fair enough. I can agree with your point of argument.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM

865 posts, read 676,241 times
It doesn't matter if your kids serve. It matters if he, himself serves. Anyone that has served knows that being related to/knowing people who have served and actually serving is entirely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections