U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
 
37,998 posts, read 18,949,588 times
Reputation: 12082

Advertisements

October 25, 2012 - Detroit News endorses Mitt Romney, not Barack. In an editorial titled “Mitt Romney for President,” the paper lays out the case. Two key passages:

Hope and change are still what Americans are seeking. This time, Republican challenger and Michigan native Mitt Romney offers the best hope of changing the nation's fate.

Romney brings credible plan.

The Keynesian approach has not worked. Despite an $830 billion stimulus and increased annual spending, the economic recovery is the weakest in post-World War II history. Investors remain on the sidelines, afraid to put their money into job creating projects because of the uncertainty about future tax and regulatory policy.

Had Obama done as well with the rest of the economy, it would be hard to deny him a second term.

From The Detroit News: Editorial: Mitt Romney for President | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Last edited by petch751; 10-26-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,731,230 times
Reputation: 3408
I'm confused--just exactly which plan do they think is the credible one? I can't keep track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
 
37,998 posts, read 18,949,588 times
Reputation: 12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm confused--just exactly which plan do they think is the credible one? I can't keep track.
Read the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,731,230 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Read the article.
My point is that it doesn't matter what plan the paper is referring to, because Romney seems to change his mind on what he's going to do at least weekly. There's no way of knowing if that's what he'll actually do or not, because he's presented just about every viewpoint possible, on just about every issue, over the last eighteen months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,656,946 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My point is that it doesn't matter what plan the paper is referring to, because Romney seems to change his mind on what he's going to do at least weekly. There's no way of knowing if that's what he'll actually do or not, because he's presented just about every viewpoint possible, on just about every issue, over the last eighteen months.
How can we trust any "plan" we hear from Romney? He is saying anything just to get into office - if he had not waffled so much in the past things might be different.
In reality he is a "vulture capitalist", not a traditional conservative businessman, and is just a front man for Wall Street imo. Big Oil, multinational corporations, outsourcers, deregulators, tax cheats, will fill that empty suit.
Will he make a sudden change from his past when in office? Check out his record in Massachusetts - he avoids talking about it.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-26-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,029 posts, read 15,237,623 times
Reputation: 11769
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
October 25, 2012 - Detroit News endorses Mitt Romney, not Barack. In an editorial titled “Mitt Romney for President,” the paper lays out the case. Two key passages:

Hope and change are still what Americans are seeking. This time, Republican challenger and Michigan native Mitt Romney offers the best hope of changing the nation's fate.

Romney brings credible plan.

The Keynesian approach has not worked. Despite an $830 billion stimulus and increased annual spending, the economic recovery is the weakest in post-World War II history. Investors remain on the sidelines, afraid to put their money into job creating projects because of the uncertainty about future tax and regulatory policy.

Had Obama done as well with the rest of the economy, it would be hard to deny him a second term.

From The Detroit News: Editorial: Mitt Romney for President | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Yeah, we heard:

DETROIT NEWS endorses Romney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,656,946 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
October 25, 2012 - Detroit News endorses Mitt Romney, not Barack. In an editorial titled “Mitt Romney for President,” the paper lays out the case. Two key passages:

Hope and change are still what Americans are seeking. This time, Republican challenger and Michigan native Mitt Romney offers the best hope of changing the nation's fate.

Romney brings credible plan.

The Keynesian approach has not worked. Despite an $830 billion stimulus and increased annual spending, the economic recovery is the weakest in post-World War II history. Investors remain on the sidelines, afraid to put their money into job creating projects because of the uncertainty about future tax and regulatory policy.

Had Obama done as well with the rest of the economy, it would be hard to deny him a second term.

From The Detroit News: Editorial: Mitt Romney for President | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
* Trickle-down Reaganomics and a watered-down stimulus is not Keynesian. We are still in republican trickle-down mode.
* The investor class does not create jobs - that is a Fox talking point and a lie designed to get it's wealthy base out of paying taxes (repubs want 0% on capital gains). The "fearful investor" because of 4 years of Obama? Give me a break.
* Supply-side is a 30-year failure. Demand-side creates jobs. Dems are right - top-down economics doesn't work and is responsible for whatever failure we now have. Middle-outward is what has worked in the past (yeah, taxes on the wealthy "job creators" were higher).
* The Detroit News will always make a case for the right-wing candidate. Their case for Romney is as speculative as anyone else's - and predictable imo.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-26-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,731,230 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
How can we trust any "plan" we hear from Romney? He is saying anything just to get into office - if he had not waffled so much in the past things might be different.
In reality he is a "vulture capitalist", not a traditional conservative businessman, and is just a front man for Wall Street imo. Big Oil, multinational corporations, outsourcers, deregulators, tax cheats, will fill that empty suit.
Will he make a sudden change from his past when in office? Check out his record in Massachusetts - he avoids talking about it.
The only thing I trust him to do is exactly what the teavangelicals and wall street want him to do--you're right--the only thing the guy cares about is being president. He doesn't stand for anything, he'll say anything to win, and he'll do anything if he's elected to keep his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,656,946 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The only thing I trust him to do is exactly what the teavangelicals and wall street want him to do--you're right--the only thing the guy cares about is being president. He doesn't stand for anything, he'll say anything to win, and he'll do anything if he's elected to keep his job.
A lot depends on congressional support.
He'll have the "big-money boys" on his side. Certainly no end to Citizens United, trickle-down and deregulation on steroids, a stacked activist Supreme Court, not a chance of campaign finance reform - in other words, back to 2008 and more of what we had then.
He is a business "harvester" and his base will continue to "harvest" the U.S.A. for their own profit as they are doing now. This is the Romney business model. Will he change it?

Bain Capital: "an investment partnership which was formed to invest in startup companies and ongoing companies, then to take an active hand in managing them and hopefully, five to eight years later, to harvest them at a significant profit".
Does this sound anything like "growing and nurturing a business to long-term profitability"? You be the judge.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-26-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top