Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,331 times

Advertisements

I'm appalled so many people who "claim" to be conservative are saying they will vote in the primaries for Romney because he is the only one who can beat Obama. If we only vote for people because of their electability, our party will slowly start to change, and candidates will become more watered down and adopt more and more liberal positions just so they can be elected. Mark my words, conservatism will die out. Winning elections is based on campaigning, advertising, debating and MONEY, in order to wake people up and make them realize that the country can only be restored by returning to its conservative roots, not by watering down political ideologies to appease independents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times
You're too late. Conservatism died when the Koch brothers assumed control.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I'm appalled so many people who "claim" to be conservative are saying they will vote in the primaries for Romney because he is the only one who can beat Obama.
I agree with this part. There is actually one consistent conservative who really takes the idea of "small government" very seriously, and that is Ron Paul. BUT, unfortunately, the so-called "conservatives" are really hypocrites in that when they know that Paul would actually do what these "conservatives" keep saying they would, which is reduce the size of the government, then they chicken out.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
At least the OP implicitly recognizes that Ron Paul is not electable. Baby steps, people.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
I fail to see where voting for somebody who is obviously not going to be elected gets you anywhere. Please explain.

Anybody with a blood alcohol level under 2.0 and a tiny bit of common sense realizes that Ron Paul is NOT going to get elected. How does it help to vote for the obvious loser?

Last edited by Zembonez; 01-04-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
I would absolutely love the Republican Party to nominate an out and out "conservative" instead of some stealth candidate trying to fly under the radar. If the battle is about the direction of the country then let it be open and above board. Put it to the American people, do they want a Real Conservative™ or Barak Obama.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM

422 posts, read 813,385 times
Conservative is not some objective, unchanging, tangible anthropomorphic thing. It is a subjective word and it's definitions are in the eye of the beholder, the same applies to the words "liberal" and even "moderate". A subjective word cannot die out, your own personal subjective definition may die out in your imagination but there will always be people who identify with conservative and adopt at least some ideas labeled as conservative by many. The problem is so many people attach some higher meaning to political labels when in reality they are nothing but human inventions defined by pundits over time and to an extent perpetuated by group think.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
in order to wake people up and make them realize that the country can only be restored by returning to its conservative roots.
The founders of this country were anything but conservative. They were radicals at the time.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The founders of this country were anything but conservative. They were radicals at the time.

And were not supported by those who prefered to remain British. Luckily, our Founding Fathers were, to a man, intellectuals.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
I'm appalled so many people who "claim" to be conservative are saying they will vote in the primaries for Romney because he is the only one who can beat Obama. If we only vote for people because of their electability, our party will slowly start to change, and candidates will become more watered down and adopt more and more liberal positions just so they can be elected. Mark my words, conservatism will die out. Winning elections is based on campaigning, advertising, debating and MONEY, in order to wake people up and make them realize that the country can only be restored by returning to its conservative roots, not by watering down political ideologies to appease independents.
I totally agree with you and I will vote for the candidate of my choice, regardless. In the general election I will vote for the candidate that my party nominates. As for conservatism, I think we do have to accept, there are various levels of conservatism and not all is good. Time change, people change and all of us need to think about that. What was right in 1776 may not be 100% right today, nor could our forefathers ever dream the world would be so assessable as it is.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections