Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
newt would be wrong if he lied about what he said.

the truth is romney was a far left liberal when he ran in mass.

if the electorate is dumb enough to believe hes all of a sudden some conservative because thats what he says now, good luck with that.

this is the same clown that tried to ban guns and had no problem with abortion

Nobody who knows anything about government truly thinks that Romney is a far left liberal. It is just stupid to keep repeating that. You can post any kind of half truths and propaganda you want to and it does nothing but make you look less than.

According to the desperate email the DNC sent out last night after he won, they are going to tie him to the Tea Party and try to paint him as an extremist...lol. Now that is going to be really funny when the Tea Party hates him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this thread.

Hey Ovcatto!

Pass that popcorn!

*munch munch*

Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Yes they do. They keep telling us. Remember, we hate Mormons.

No, nobody believes that all Republicans or Indies hate Mormons. It's that the Fundamentalists reject LDS as a legitimate religion. It's wrong, it's deplorable, it's a violation of the separation of church and state, but it's still true that there is a bias.
Newt has reverted to his old nasty self, and is out to take down Romney. We'll see how the meeting in Texas this weekend goes and whether or not the Fundamentalists can pull together behind Mitt; that's a true test.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this thread.

Hey Ovcatto!

Pass that popcorn!

*munch munch*
This thread is quite entertaining. Watching this Republican slugfest is bringing me pure joy. I have my bucket of popcorn and I'm all settled in my Snuggie to watch the backbiting of the GOP "cream of the crop."

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Newt knows he can't win. Maybe he's trying to play Kingmaker now?
I still think someone can step in & prevent Romney from getting the nomination. I believe that Convention delegates are only bound for the first round of voting, so if no one has enough by then,, they can vote for someone else.
If Romney keeps getting only 25% or so of the vote, there's a chance he won;t have the needed votes.
And if that happens, Newt wants to be the guy who caused it.

Of course, I do recall Newt promising very recently that he would not Go Negative. Right.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Newt knows that he is not going to win. The only thing he hopes to do now is take Romney down with him. This is a classic Gingrich temper tantrum, the same thing that basically killed his political career the first time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Well i hope he accomplishes the goal of his current tantrum ...
Well, Newt taking off on Romney is the pot calling the kettle black, for sure.

That said - WOO HOO!

The Obama campaign is going to come out of this smelling like roses; they aren't going to have to go all negative on Romney themselves because Gingrich is going to do it for them.

I hope Newt goes after Romney's tax returns next.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Nobody who knows anything about government truly thinks that Romney is a far left liberal.

According to the desperate email the DNC sent out last night after he won, they are going to tie him to the Tea Party and try to paint him as an extremist...
Well, it's going to depend on which day of the week whether he's a far left liberal or a teabagger.

I think I heard that on Tuesday's, he liberal but on Thursday's, he's a teabagging extremist.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
No, nobody believes that all Republicans or Indies hate Mormons. It's that the Fundamentalists reject LDS as a legitimate religion. It's wrong, it's deplorable, it's a violation of the separation of church and state, but it's still true that there is a bias.
Newt has reverted to his old nasty self, and is out to take down Romney. We'll see how the meeting in Texas this weekend goes and whether or not the Fundamentalists can pull together behind Mitt; that's a true test.
''

You are correct, but the Newt thing is a separate issue.
I think people can see right through Newt, he's like a fatal attraction. He's just doing the scorched earth thing right now. If he was smart he'd be going after Santorum who is the guy right in front of him for the "not Romney" vote.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Major pet peeve: people who throw out the "separation of church and state" line without understanding what it really means. It has now become cliche'd losing all real meaning.

Let's take a moment now to thank our fine public education system.

Back to the point. Agreed it is troublesome, but pls explain how it is a violation of separation of church and state? Individual voters have the right to vote for whomever they wish....no matter how skewed their motivations may be.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Newt knows that he is not going to win. The only thing he hopes to do now is take Romney down with him. This is a classic Gingrich temper tantrum, the same thing that basically killed his political career the first time around.
If this is true, it is extremely dangerous for Romney’s future. Romney needs Newt out of the debate and limelight because Romney cannot win the arguments on substance. Even the most ardent Newt haters acknowledge his intelligence and debating skills. Romney’s biggest problem if Newt stays in the race, is the fallout that will occur from the debates going forward.

For example. Newt has been studying the issue of judicial supremacy since 2002. It has become a pet project of his and he’s lectured on at various law schools.

On the Mass marriage issue, at best Romney rolled over on the issue, at worst, he ignored the Mass Constitution which explicitly delegates the issue of marriage to the legislative and executive branches of the Commonwealth of Mass. It is a highly unusual clause when compared to other states’ constitutions, but it is clearly there. Instead of upholding the law of the land as he took an oath to do, he melted and did the politically easy thing and wiped his hands of the issue and unlawfully (according to the Mass Constitution) sent it to the Mass Supreme Court to decide) so as to pander to liberal populace of his state.

Santorum brought this issue up at the last debate, so even he might possibly bring it up again. The difference, he doesn’t possess the biting debate skills and ability to keep a cool head while making his points, as Newt has shown over the course of the 12 GOP debates thus far. Newt might lose his temper from time to time, but he’s proven he can keep a cool head in these debates.

The tired typical GOP candidate answer of simply saying, “I will appoint conservative judges” is starting to lose its effectiveness. (and in Romney’s case is a real problem given his record in Mass on appointing judges). We’ve all heard that for years and yet, the judicial branch (meant to be the weakest of the 3 branches) continues to wield power never intended by the founders.

For this to occur, you have to assume Newt is fighting for the conservative side the party (and not necessarily his own political future) as the establishment (with help from the right’s “mainstream media”) will move to crush any chance he could even be elected dog catcher anytime in the future. Bottom-line: Romney is in potential trouble the longer Newt stays in the race and thus is given direct access to challenge him on conservative, constitutional issues such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections