Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,907,639 times

Advertisements

I know he has said no but if Romney is smart, he will turn Rubio's NO into a YES! Rubio is absolutely the perfect VP running mate for Romney. Let's look at all of Rubio's positives:

1. He excites the base of the GOP. While many of them are not happy with Romney, they will come out in droves if Rubio is in the VP slot

2. He has conservative "tea party" credits but he is not so "tea party" that he scares moderates the way Palin did.

3. Unlike Palin, Rubio is smart and sharp. Very unlikely the media will catch him in a "gotcha" moment the way they did Palin.

4. Rubio will firmly place Florida in the GOP column this time with its huge amount of electoral votes.

5. Rubio will certainly help bring Hispanics on board for the GOP.

The only negative about Rubio that Romney needs to worry about is that Rubio might upstage Romney. But Romney needs to choose him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,526,182 times
And he's a tool of the establishment Sounds perfect for Mitt

Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,492,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I know he has said no but if Romney is smart, he will turn Rubio's NO into a YES! Rubio is absolutely the perfect VP running mate for Romney. Let's look at all of Rubio's positives:

1. He excites the base of the GOP. While many of them are not happy with Romney, they will come out in droves if Rubio is in the VP slot

2. He has conservative "tea party" credits but he is not so "tea party" that he scares moderates the way Palin did.

3. Unlike Palin, Rubio is smart and sharp. Very unlikely the media will catch him in a "gotcha" moment the way they did Palin.

4. Rubio will firmly place Florida in the GOP column this time with its huge amount of electoral votes.

5. Rubio will certainly help bring Hispanics on board for the GOP.

The only negative about Rubio that Romney needs to worry about is that Rubio might upstage Romney. But Romney needs to choose him.
I agree completely.

Romney/Rubio 2012!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,018,709 times
Yes, he is my top choice. Not only will he bring conservatives that don't like Romney, he will take some hispanics as well, which much have the obama team very worried.

Daniels is my second choice, then Christy.

Quote:
Romney/Rubio 2012!
That has a really catchy sound.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
He certainly is someone to be reckoned with but he keeps saying NO, NO, NO. I wonder if that means, ask me and see what I say. I think he would bring a lot to a ticket, could generate excitement, bring latino votes and certainly is conservative. That being said, the choice is rarely someone that comes to our minds and there are a lot of others out there I could easily live with.

Nita

Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
Best of all Rubio is only about 40 yrs old, so in 2020 he would be ready for a couple terms as Pres. Maybe the GOP should think ahead and start work now to repeal the 2 term limit.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,650,688 times
I am a Florida voter and I wouldn't vote for Rubio is he was my only choice for beating Obama. That is how strongly I feel against him. He was/is a tool for the powers that be. He was instrumental in the courthouse fiasco here in Florida and then denied it in the face of the emails presented. He had shady dealings re his house and a house for his mother or MIL, can't remember which. He is bought and paid for. You all can have him and a lot of other folks feel the same way. You are hitching your wagon to a falling star. What has he done since he was elected except go around and give speeches.....what has he voted for or against...? "getting his feet on the ground...." bah ! he is being groomed for the presidency because he will be a hispanic that can be controlled.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,932,551 times
polls show rubio has little to no impact on the latino vote or florida.

paul ryan is a better idea.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,003,564 times
Actually Christie would be the perfect choice for Romney. Major chunk of Florida residents are Northeast retirees, so its sellable to FL, and can do well (unlike Rubio) in the important swing just south of Tri-State area corridor, extending from Pa straight west to the Rust Belt.

Rubio is a one trick pony. He might push FL to the GOP, but in 49 states, he is no factor at all, and possibly negative in swing corridor I previously mentioned.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
I looked at intrade out of curiousity and found the following VP topics:

Hillary Clinton VP: 19% chance
Marco Rubio.........21%
Chris Christie........18.5%

All others listed at 6% or less, including Condi Rice at 5%.

Intrade - Markets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections