Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking that it would be interesting to do an internet election where everyone who has access to the internet and who plans on voting in the coming general election and or in the GOP race could vote for all the candidates still in the running for GOP nomination - and including Obama - for a minimal cost decided on by those involved, and the winner of the election would take all the proceeds of the event after it was done.

How much you wanna bet that Dr. Paul would win that election? What do you think of that idea? Has this ever been considered or perhaps done and i just missed out on it?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Townhall.com had an internet primary about a month ago..my computer broke and I don't know who won.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Kind of a neat idea, Ron Paul would probably win as he does with all internet straw polls, although if Obama is the only Dem and the GOP voters are split it could go to Obama. I wonder how many people would actualy pay to do that

Old 01-15-2012, 05:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
If you recall in 2004 they have electronic voting machines in Ohio that were rigged in favor of W... electronic votes are just not trustworthy as too many have no ethics.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Voting on the internet will not work, for those that are more than a little clueless: The Internet is Not Secure.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If you recall in 2004 they have electronic voting machines in Ohio that were rigged in favor of W... electronic votes are just not trustworthy as too many have no ethics.
We still have electronic machines.

I was involved in the 2004 recount, that was rigged just as bad. If a 3% hand recount showed ANY deviation a full 100% hand recount was required. The 3% test count was supposed to be from randomly selected precincts. In almost every county the 3% ballots had been pre selected and counted prior to the official recount. In Media county they went so fair as to sort the ballots by vote cast. Imagine, you start into a stack of ballots and the first 227 are for bush and the next 354 ballots cast for Kerry, ect. The ballot tabulation equipment isn't equipped to sort ballot (with multiple races why would they), these ballots had been handled after the election day count and the recount. There was no way to tell if ballots had been added or taken away. Of course, each preselected precinct matched.

Of course, the secr. of state, ken blackwell who oversaw the election AND recount was bush's co-chairman.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I was just thinking that it would be interesting to do an internet election where everyone who has access to the internet and who plans on voting in the coming general election and or in the GOP race could vote for all the candidates still in the running for GOP nomination - and including Obama - for a minimal cost decided on by those involved, and the winner of the election would take all the proceeds of the event after it was done.

How much you wanna bet that Dr. Paul would win that election? What do you think of that idea? Has this ever been considered or perhaps done and i just missed out on it?

Thoughts?
I think I read that 77 percent of Americans have Internet access. A very large voting demo is elderly Americans. They always vote in large numbers. How much do you want to bet that the 23 percent without Internet access are primarily elderly Americans? Point is, I don't think it would be predictive as to what would actually happen at the polls.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
It's something lots of people have thought about, and it'd be a great idea if you can sort out how to prevent fraud. You don't want the election to go to whoever can find the best hackers.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
It doesn't actually sound like the OP was suggesting we hold the actual general election online

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It's something lots of people have thought about, and it'd be a great idea if you can sort out how to prevent fraud. You don't want the election to go to whoever can find the best hackers.
The only thing a online election would show is how determined Paul supporters are and how many sock puppet accounts they'd be willing to create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections