Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The audience was almost all Tea Party activists...need I say more? This entire debate was set up to pump some life back into Newt. From what I have seen today, it pumped his head back up...lol. He is back to making grandiose comments about himself.
Spot on! These debate audiences are the people who boo American servicemen in a combat zone and cheer allowing the sick to die without treatment. That they would find well-articulated prejudice a cause to take to their feet should surprise no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM

791 posts, read 460,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
You mean how Newt dismissed his first wife while she was dying of cancer?...
I'm no fan of Newt, but this BS about Jackie Battley 'dying of cancer' has got to stop. They divorced in 1980, she had a benign tumor removed from her arm and she's alive and well today. I can't believe how many people out there of ALL political persuasions run around repeating stuff like it's Gospel when it's as false as can possibly be.

Do some homework, people!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Not to worry- he got somewhat of an endorsement from Sarah Palin recently, so his ship should be sunk shortly....

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
You mean how Newt dismissed his first wife while she was dying of cancer?...
That story has been debunked. You'll have to cough up a fresh slander.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Newt Gingrich came across as condiscending towards minorities. Bringing up janitor jobs when asked about Unemployment by Juan Williams.

Also the less than subtle implication that most black people are on food stamps. The fact that Newt and his supporters can't see the racism inherent in these types of comments shows just how deep and entrenched their bigotry really is. The fact that a presidential candidate can stand on a stage and toss out dog whistle style Southern strategy comments designed to appeal to the racist Tea Party base of the GOP is disgusting, when he gets a standing ovation for it, it becomes scary. I got a distinct Third Reich vibe from the whole thing.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh my goodness sake, where do you live, under a rock or something? there are stories she asked for the divorce, but that is a he said/she said, so no one will ever really know who is telling the truth. She had a tumor removed, no one has any idea if it was cancerous, as that too is in question, but the worst part of your rediculous comment: dieing of cancer. She is about 80 years old now and very much alive!!!!!

NIta
It isn't the total factuality or lack thereof that matters. It's the fact that there's plenty of room to spin it. You better believe that the Democrats would have a field day with Newt Gingrich's past. The first ex-wife has said something along the lines that Newt brought up the possibility of divorce while visiting her when she was recovering from surgery. According to her, Newt was the driving force behind the divorce. And the fact that she is alive means they'll no doubt go and ask her lots of leading questions.

Cheating on your wife, divorcing her and then marrying the mistress is despicable, but some might say these things happen and let it go. Doing it twice makes it a pattern of scumbaggery.

And there is plenty of material to target in his time as a Congressman. I'm betting that somebody leaks more and more details on Newt's record setting ethics violations. There's plenty to like about Newt Gingrich, but there's absolutely no way he can win against Obama.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The truth is the truth. Anyone who is brave enough to say it should get a standing ovation.
On one hand, Newt articulated several points very well and put across multiple conservative issues in a good way.

On the other hand, my problem with Newt? How are you going to solve something like the housing crisis with someone who was making money off of it and freely admits it? I want someone who actively was campaigning against it while it was happening (Paul), not exploiting it for their own gain!!!

As for the janitor issue, give me a ****ing break. My GRANDMOTHER scrubbed toilets for a living. It is what you do if you do not have the skills. To not do it, you have to get some marketable skills first or wait a generation or two for your grandkids to get them (like I did). This mentality of "I have no marketable skills, give me a CEO job, mansion, and a BMW or your a racist bigot" makes me want to puke my guts out.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Newt is out. Like Ron Paul he's not enough of a corporatist. Romney is in. I don't care for him that much either but the corporate handlrs of the GOP do. Can he "out-corporate" Obuisness as usual? We'll see what the "Chicago machine" has in its strategy bag. I think they will go for the pipeline thing. That might put them and their boy over the top.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I'm not a fan of Newt, but he is a polished communicator. I'll give him that much. His answer was hardly worthy of a standing ovation though, but I think that's more a reflection of our politically correct times where anyone willing to state something even the littlest bit truthful about race in America is seen as some kind of hero. I was glad to hear him not back down when pressed on a racial issue.
How is it a "racial" issue? Most Americans receiving nutrition assistance are white.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Pub...cteristics.pdf

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 AM

48 posts, read 27,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh my goodness sake, where do you live, under a rock or something? there are stories she asked for the divorce, but that is a he said/she said, so no one will ever really know who is telling the truth. She had a tumor removed, no one has any idea if it was cancerous, as that too is in question, but the worst part of your rediculous comment: dieing of cancer. She is about 80 years old now and very much alive!!!!!

NIta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
I'm no fan of Newt, but this BS about Jackie Battley 'dying of cancer' has got to stop. They divorced in 1980, she had a benign tumor removed from her arm and she's alive and well today. I can't believe how many people out there of ALL political persuasions run around repeating stuff like it's Gospel when it's as false as can possibly be.

Do some homework, people!
Ok, so he cheated on her. Then, cheated on her too. Then calls for Clinton's impeachment for, guess what? Cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections