Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not to dog the South, but myopia isn't exactly a bad word down there....it's a virtue.

To their credit, they have certain principles, and they don't bend very much on 'em. Hell, they have polls showing that large numbers of voters in Mississippi and Alabama STILL think that interracial marriage should be illegal. Never seen a poll of that question for South Carolinian's, but i guarantee you that there isn't much of a difference.

So again, the GOP made this bed many moons ago, strengthened this relationship even further with people like Lee Atwater in the 80's, and this is the result.

Sad, but true.
I live in the "South lite" and I don't know anyone who disapproves of interracial marriage, much less thinks it should be illegal. I'm not familiar with MS, AL, or SC though. I have spent a lot of time in rural Georgia and a lot of things there just didn't seem quite right to me for some reason. That said, there's a lot of the South that's nothing like what you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
There is a saying, don't put your eggs in one basket.

Texas, the king of the Southern states has been gaining many Hispanic residents in the past decades. Now even though many of these Hispanics are conservative, the racially charged GOP campaigns of yesteryear will not jive very well with them. Add to this that many northerners, especially minority northerners have been migrating to the South.

Quite a pickle for Republicans. Just like Newt's mistress, the GOP is f!@#d
Well, this should be a time of joy for the Republican party and the Solid South given their recent population gains and upcoming redistricting that should favor the region greatly.

But for some reason, that hasn't been the case yet.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Tonight is a GREAT night to dog the South. Tonight, its deserved. Seriously, I often wondered if LBJ's Civil Rights stance wasn't the BEST thing anyone did for his party, because both parties truthfully should have made a backroom deal agreeing not to court the bigot voting block. Not saying all Southerners are bigots, but isolating the voting block w/o a home would have been great for BOTH parties.

Pandering to the block got both parties in trouble elsewhere for many years. Its the same mindset that will not vote for a Mormon. Same people, with or w/o their sheets.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
There is a saying, don't put your eggs in one basket.

Texas, the king of the Southern states has been gaining many Hispanic residents in the past decades. Now even though many of these Hispanics are conservative, the racially charged GOP campaigns of yesteryear will not jive very well with them. Add to this that many northerners, especially minority northerners have been migrating to the South.

Quite a pickle for Republicans. Just like Newt's mistress, the GOP is f!@#d
Texas is very solidly Republican and will remain so for quite some time.

Republicans made massive gains in Texas in the 2010 elections. At least in Texas, there haven't been many racially-charged GOP campaigns in recent times.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I live in the "South lite" and I don't know anyone who disapproves of interracial marriage, much less thinks it should be illegal. I'm not familiar with MS, AL, or SC though. I have spent a lot of time in rural Georgia and a lot of things there just didn't seem quite right for some reason. That said, there's a lot of the South that's nothing like what you suggest.
Yea, well i've never considered Texas to be the south in any real aspect anyway unless we're talking about the region that lies along U.S. 59. But trust me, in the days of the Antebellum South and Jim Crow, Texas was alive and well with the lynchings, segregation, hostility, and overall racially charged environment. And still, compared to places like Mississippi and Alabama, it was an amusement park in comparison.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Yea, well i've never considered Texas to be the south in any real aspect anyway unless we're talking about the region that lies along U.S. 59. But trust me, in the days of the Antebellum South and Jim Crow, Texas was alive and well with the lynchings, segregation, hostility, and overall racially charged environment. And still, compared to places like Mississippi and Alabama, it was an amusement park in comparison.
Oh I know the history.

I live in a large metropolitan area in North Texas and have only been to rural East Texas a few times. I used to live in rural West Texas, but that's quite a bit different.

The interesting thing though is that even rural East Texas seems to be much less approving of racism than one would expect. Are you familiar with the Jasper lynching case in 1998? Two white men ended up on death row for killing a black man (a third was sentenced to life in prison). One has already been executed. That would probably not happen in the Deep South. Of course they would've gone to prison, but they wouldn't have gotten the death penalty.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Oh I know the history.

I live in a large metropolitan area in North Texas and have only been to rural East Texas a few times. I used to live in rural West Texas, but that's quite a bit different.
Rural west Texas was no joke either. The home of the "No dogs, no Mexicans" signs all over. An old black gentleman that i did some business with some years ago grew up in Crane, Texas, and told me some stories that would make the hair stand up on your head. He claims that West Texas might've been even worse than East Texas.

After what happened in Tulia, Texas back in the late 90's, i'm well aware of the history of that region.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Why does Gingrich's history of adultery even matter?

Living here in the new Sodom and Gomorrah I guess it doesn't mean much. Maybe the intire government will look back and turn into a pillar of salt. That would me more practical that the S+++ they try to had us and tell us it fertilizer that makes the grass grow.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Yes but they can't tell you why a Mormon is not a Christian except for simply ranting but giving nothing more to go on. If a man tells me he believes in the word of Jesus Christ I have no other recourse than to call him a Christian. If a man adamantly tells me he believes in the teachings of Buddha I have to say he is a Buddhist. I an I am even more obligated if I see that that person is following what he claims to be.
"My Christianity is superior to your Christianity."

Get it?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Rural west Texas was no joke either. The home of the "No dogs, no Mexicans" signs all over. An old black gentleman that i did some business with some years ago grew up in Crane, Texas, and told me some stories that would make the hair stand up on your head. He claims that West Texas might've been even worse than East Texas.

After what happened in Tulia, Texas back in the late 90's, i'm well aware of the history of that region.
The Tulia incident was terrifying.

I lived in Lubbock - which is actually a decent size town (calling it a rural area isn't very correct - it just seems that way because there's nothing around it for miles and miles and miles).

West Texas is different from East Texas in the sense that there's tons of wide open spaces and just more of a feeling of freedom. I don't think it's more racist, especially the farther west you go. Some of the small towns do seem backwards, yes, but that's somewhat true of some small towns everywhere.

We've gotten a bit off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections