Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,490,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If Gingrich does get the nomination, he can't really campaign on the values platform.

For evangelicals this is a bread and butter issue, at least I thought, until SC.
Well, it sure seems that evangelicals in South Carolina have sold out their own values for political gain.

NBC Politics - Conservatives, evangelical Christians rebuff Romney in South Carolina

But then, nobody actually cares about the Bible in the Bible belt. You'd probably find more devout Christians in New England--fewer, but more devout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,590,467 times
Lightbulb Why does Gingrich's history of adultery even matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why does it even matter if Gingrich has been married several times and has cheated on his wife. That has nothing to do with how he will lead the country! Every person in this world has a past and everybody has done things that are shameful and that they regret. Cut Gingrich a break!

Obviously, it doesn't matter to the "family values Christians" as long as they have a candidate who hates Obama as much as they do.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The man says he has sought and recieved redemtion for his actions. If he truly has then good for him. The question we should be addressing is who is the best candidate that could move this country forward after we rid ourselves of the man child who currently resides in the white house?
Who has the most experience and the most sound judgement on the issues that face us today? I haven't decided yet who that will be, but I haven't rulled out Gingrich meerly on the deeds of his past. All of us have had moments in our lives that were not stellar moments."""

He didn't have MOMENTS....he had YEARS....of ethics problems and SERIAL promiscuity and adultery....

""" We all grow from them and move on. I am in hopes and believe that is the case with the former speaker.
"man-child"....racist's not-so-secret term for "boy".... how not-so-clever of you....

WHO has Gingrich sought redemption from....??
What meaning does that have today?
What meaning does it have in relationship to his ability to lead the country???

Show proof that he has had a "morals" transplant... show PROOF he is now ethical.... where's the proof?????

Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yep.

And it all depends on how the economy does between now and November.

If it improves significantly, Obama will win re-election.

If it stays the same, it will be an uphill battle for Romney, but he could pull it off.

If it gets worse, it would be much easier for Romney.
"""If it gets worse, it would be much easier for Romney"""

Which is exactly why Republicans had NO interest in helping the economy ...had NO interest in helping average Americans....
they NEEDED Obama to fail so they would have a chance to win.....
so Really Stupid people will vote for them because they'll believe it was all Obama's fault...

Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,590,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
This is amazing, republicans will excuse/overlook any behavior amongst their political favorites but will go apespit when Obama takes his blazer off in the oval office...Just amazing.

It's not at all amazing. They're insane with hatred of Obama. They even hate the fact that he's breathing.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Why does it even matter if Gingrich has been married several times and has cheated on his wife. That has nothing to do with how he will lead the country! Every person in this world has a past and everybody has done things that are shameful and that they regret. Cut Gingrich a break!
I was thinking last night: for all those who say his personal life makes a big difference, how many of you can honestly say you would vote for him if he had stayed married to the same women for 50 years, be honest? I bet there are not more than a couple of you, if any. This is just a way to continue blasting!!!

NIta

Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,490,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was thinking last night: for all those who say his personal life makes a big difference, how many of you can honestly say you would vote for him if he had stayed married to the same women for 50 years, be honest? I bet there are not more than a couple of you, if any. This is just a way to continue blasting!!!

NIta
No, I wouldn't vote for him, because his political views differ from mine. But I would respect him more. I think a lot of Santorum's views are crazy, but he's clearly a devoted husband and a father who cares about his kids. And he genuinely lives what he believes. I respect that.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

NIta
You're so right

Newt is such an all around scumball that I would never vote for him.... and will continue to make fun of those who do.

And yes, blasting....as Repugs do to Democrats and Democrats do to Repugs....ever heard of politics?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,564,219 times
Quote:
Why does it even matter if Gingrich has been married several times and has cheated on his wife.
It doesn't matter that he cheated. It's the fact that he cheated, and then states publicly that he believes in the sanctity of marriage.

It's also about the fact that he believes our poor should go to work instead of get an education -- because they'll just be pimps and drug pushers anyway.

It's because like many of his GOP peers, rather than getting to the root of problems and proposing viable solutions that are good for ALL Americans, he chooses to address band-aids that do little to solve problems, hurts many, and heaps more favoritism on the privileged class he chooses to consort in.

In short, he's narrow-minded, vicious, and sanctimonious.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 AM

45,502 posts, read 60,734,312 times
I'll say the same about Gingrich as I have about Clinton: private behavior informs public behavior. How trustworthy is someone's public behavior if in private life the individual is untrustworthy?

Remember, character is what you have when no one is watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections