Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Mitt Romney will have a problem with the hard core conservative Christian evangelicals. Many will claim he is not conservative enough, that he is too moderate on social policy issues, that he is a flip-flopper. Still, I believe many will not support him merely because he is a Mormon - although few will actually admit it.

Supporters of Romney feel that he is the best guy to defeat Obama, that he has the ability to sway the moderate "independent" or "swing" vote away from the president.

Personally, I have a hunch that the very best scenario for the GOP is to have a deadlocked convention and that a fresh new candidate comes from out of the blue to accept the party's nomination ... someone like New Jersey's Gov. Christie, who makes the others look like a bunch of clowns. Okay, this is not likely to happen - but anything is possible.

I don't agree with much of what you said, but as far as your first paragraph, it is probably spot on. Vanderbilt University did a study very early in this race and found that those who called Romney a 'flip flopper' or a 'not conservative enough' or 'too moderate' when questioned further really didn't have the facts to back those statements up, but were mostly concerned that he was a Mormon and didn't want to express that.

However, there have been polls done on the subject that say overall, in the south, it's not as big an issue as the media makes it out to be so who knows really?

According to the exit polling in SC, the religion was a definite issue. Of course, this is a state that still flies the confederate flag so is anyone surprised really? Which by the way, Mitt Romney has denounced and Newt Gingrich supported their flying the confederate flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM

791 posts, read 460,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think this is just so much bs pushed by the left and the paulinistas who actually feel the way they are accusing evangelicals. Why in the world would evangelicals be afraid of a mormon when they know what they have in office now. What is Romney going to force us all to have multiple wives?
Silas, nobody's accusing, the voters of So. Carolina are FESSING...

Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why does it even matter if Gingrich has been married several times and has cheated on his wife. That has nothing to do with how he will lead the country! Every person in this world has a past and everybody has done things that are shameful and that they regret. Cut Gingrich a break!

That's what a lot of Democrats said about Bill Clinton.

But, hey, cheating on your wives, while defending "the institution of marriage" is OK if you're a Republican, ha?

What a piece of work.

Newt Gingrich will be judged with the same standard he used on others, pal.

That's karma and it's the way it should be.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well if that's the case, this is a big problem. The Republican Party is a southern party before it's anything else, and he needs strong southern support to win the general election.

I don't know what's so bad about being a Mormon to southern voters (all Christian faiths are frauds to me....don't see why Latter Day Saints should be singled out for ridicule), but they need to get over it if they want to oust Obama.

It's South Carolina, dear. Bigotry and ignorance is deeply ingrained. They don't even consider Roman Catholics Christians, OK?

Their so called Christian faith is a joke too. Going to Church every Sunday is more of a social thing than anything else. I have family in that state. I have heard ignorant preachers state that Catholics worship idols, that Mormonism is a cult, etc. And right after they leave the building they proceed to gossip, lie, steal, fornicate and covet. No wonder Newt is their kind of guy.

They hate the black man in the white house so much, they're willing to sell their souls to the devil to get him out of there. That's the truth, and for every fool that brings up the "race card" I'm going to raise the BS flag.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM

255 posts, read 514,305 times
Gingrich's electability as a president has nothing to do with his adultery. If you feel that he is the best person for the job, you should vote for him. Otherwise, no.

I do not believe he is the best qualified candidate. Romney has the governor experience and business experience, both the country desperately needs.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Why do Gingrich supporters feel his history of adultery does not matter in his electability as president when they are a part of the party that claims franchise to Christian and family values?
A Christian value is forgiveness. We are all human and have all done things in our past we are ashamed of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
After all, they are the party that wanted to focus on what gays and lesbians do in their private bedroom.
This segment of the population is supporting Santorum, not Gingrich. Gingrich is against gay marriage but he hasn't made that his primary issue like Santorum has.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think this is just so much bs pushed by the left and the paulinistas who actually feel the way they are accusing evangelicals. Why in the world would evangelicals be afraid of a mormon when they know what they have in office now. What is Romney going to force us all to have multiple wives?
Some might fear that it would further legitimize the Mormon religion, which is heretical to their narrow view of what "Christianity" is. But most of all, I think it is simply intolerance based from a group of people who have been subject to insular dogmas their whole lives.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/401291_332872493402124_113544412001601_1076117_148 3100128_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Clinton wasn't impeached over having an affair with Monica Lewinsky. It was because he lied under oath about it. That said, I don't believe he should have ever been questioned under oath about it anyways. As long as he wasn't doing anything illegal, what he does in the bedroom has little to do with his performance as President.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Is the title a broad brush? Does it apply to every Evangelical Republican?
It's not broad enough. Let me help you
Christians are hypocrites (most of them).

In the beginning of this country and before that,
from slavery to the Civil War and all wars up to now,
Peace on Earth is only a phrase....lip service to
the Prince of Peace. A real shame....

I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections