Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM

600 posts, read 1,936,008 times

Advertisements

Forgiveness? Yes but as a President of the United States we need a role model and person of respect.
And there are tons of scandals Gingrich was involved. He is a no go to represent a country in a positive way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,189,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm not a Mormon, but I've lived in a highly LDS community all my life. For months now, folks around here, both Mormons and others of different faiths have been sure that Mitt won't get the nomination because of his religion.

I have consistently thought that the conservatives were past all that, as the LDS are pro-life, very family oriented, and have serious issues with gays. All these are social issues I thought the fundamental religious community shared with the LDS. After all, Mitt has walked the walk and talked the talk of the LDS all his life, and lived in strict accordance to his faith's principles. And the LDS played a big part in getting California's gay marriage law repealed, working side by side with the other conservative religious believers.

As a politician, maybe he hasn't been as loud as he should have been about his personal beliefs, but I didn't believe that to be a big thing. Most folks waver between what their religion teaches and what they actually do, and the LDS are no different than any other faith in this.

Well, South Carolina proved me wrong. I guess that, for a lot of them at least, what a person believes will open the Pearly Gates for them is more important than how or who will run their country until those Gates open for them.

Hypocrisy? Sure. But the serious nature of who will lead our country through the difficult years to come makes any candidate's religion much less important to me than what the candidate's plans are for governance. The foolish shallowness of the voters in S. Carolina's conservatives stunned me.

Silly me. And I thought the Civil War was long over, too. I was wrong on both counts.

Heaven or Hell awaits us all, for those who believe either exists. Since only the dead will ever know in either case, how one arrives at Heaven's Gate or awaits Charon's Boat is a matter for the dead, not the living. The dead don't vote, and have other concerns than worrying about the nation they departed.
I guess I am right there with you on some of that. The really suprising thing that such ignorance still exists for me is that I live right in the heart of the Bible Belt and was raised from birth in the Southern Baptist church and I don't know anyone that feels this way about Mormons. I am a Methodist now, but my family for the most part are mostly Southern Baptists and I have asked them and other friends how they see this issue. They all look at me like I am joking and ask what does that have to do with being President? I also have family in the deep south...Mississippi coast and Louisianna and they support Mitt Romney and not because of my influence. I just don't get this at all.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A Christian value is forgiveness. We are all human and have all done things in our past we are ashamed of.

This segment of the population is supporting Santorum, not Gingrich. Gingrich is against gay marriage but he hasn't made that his primary issue like Santorum has.

The exit polling data showed that more of that segment of the population in South Carolina voted for Gingrich. As many evangelicals as there are in South Carolina, a good percentage would have had to of voted for him. I find this groups reasoning rather hypocritical myself.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I guess I am right there with you on some of that. The really suprising thing that such ignorance still exists for me is that I live right in the heart of the Bible Belt and was raised from birth in the Southern Baptist church and I don't know anyone that feels this way about Mormons. I am a Methodist now, but my family for the most part are mostly Southern Baptists and I have asked them and other friends how they see this issue. They all look at me like I am joking and ask what does that have to do with being President? I also have family in the deep south...Mississippi coast and Louisianna and they support Mitt Romney and not because of my influence. I just don't get this at all.
I have some liberal friends who are native S. Carolinians. Being an Idaho Democrat is tough, and we learn how to be scrappers to be heard, but we pale in comparison to how tough our S. Carolina compatriots are.

Maybe it's just that South Carolina is a state full of people who really like to fight. The South still cherishes the tradition of chivalry- they seem to go for the knights who fight the hardest without regard to whether the fight itself is wrong or right. Good or bad counts for less than the fight itself. S. Carolina has always been a leader in this tradition.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I have some liberal friends who are native S. Carolinians. Being an Idaho Democrat is tough, and we learn how to be scrappers to be heard, but we pale in comparison to how tough our S. Carolina compatriots are.

Maybe it's just that South Carolina is a state full of people who really like to fight. The South still cherishes the tradition of chivalry- they seem to go for the knights who fight the hardest without regard to whether the fight itself is wrong or right. Good or bad counts for less than the fight itself. S. Carolina has always been a leader in this tradition.

Wrestlemania is probably still very popular...lol. My husband has simplified it down to a "redneck loving a fight" thing and then I began to understand it a little. We are not short on rednecks here in KY, we are not short on ignorance in some ways, bigotry does still exist to an extent, buti am starting to think it is much less than in some of these other states....thank goodness!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 AM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
Forgiveness? Yes but as a President of the United States we need a role model and person of respect.
And there are tons of scandals Gingrich was involved. He is a no go to represent a country in a positive way.
A role model? A person of respect? Well, we certainly didn't have one for 8 years in the 1990s!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,184,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If they weren't old enough to vote for Clinton, they obviously weren't born yet when JFK put up his nice little family man facade while he was screwing Marilyn Monroe and a bevy of Hollywood starlets. Having a brother-in-law (Peter Lawford) who was a movie star himself came in handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So obviously you approve of Kennedy's affairs....

What having a brother-in-law actor has to do with anything ...????Wha!??? WHAT!???

BTW, Kennedy's affairs were made public A F T E R

AFTER

AFTER,

as in NOT BEFORE,

he was elected.

Repugs are willing to vote for the SAME THING KNOWING ABOUT IT IN ADVANCE.

They can deny it but they can't hide it
[quote=Mrs. Skeffington;22657338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So obviously you approve of Kennedy's affairs....

What having a brother-in-law actor has to do with anything ...????Wha!??? WHAT!???

BTW, Kennedy's affairs were made public A F T E R

AFTER

AFTER,

as in NOT BEFORE,

he was elected.

"Obviously"? Where did I say I approved of his affairs? Quote, please.

Marilyn Monroe and JFK had trysts at Peter Lawford's beach house. At one time, JFK was an unofficial member of the "Rat Pack" (of which Peter Lawford was a member). Frank Sinatra, especially, was a huge supporter of JFK. Some say the only reason Frank wanted to be friends with Peter was so he'd have access to JFK, once they became related through his marriage to Patricia. Having a brother-in-law who was a movie star made it possible for JFK to meet many beautiful young women from the studio. """"""

He STILL has NOTHING to do with the topic and the fact he was an actor has nothing to do with anything... JFK didn't need any pimp....

""The only reason JFK's affairs came to light AFTER AFTER AFTER his death was that there was no Internet or cable tv. """

DUH! REALLY! WOW How enlightening!!!...I was THERE, I KNOW that...

it DOES NOT CHANGE ANY FACT....like how most people didn't know about his affairs...."why" isn't relevent...

"""Washington insiders knew all about it, though, as did Jackie.
YES. when your ONLY defense of Newton is ..."But, but so and so did it,too...." Then you approve of affairs.

That's like saying "a precedent was set so now it's OK....."

You didn't approve of the Kennedys so now you must either disaprove of Newt or APPROVE OF THEM ALL.

Or you'd be a two-faced hypocrite like ALL Newt supporters...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,229,566 times
Quote:
Why does it even matter if Gingrich has been married several times and has cheated on his wife. That has nothing to do with how he will lead the country! Every person in this world has a past and everybody has done things that are shameful and that they regret. Cut Gingrich a break!
It really shouldn't matter. A big part of Gingrich's stock and trade in the 90s was espousing "family values" and leading the charge against Bill Clinton, which included arranging circumstances so he would be asked under oath about whether he had an affair and then impeaching him based on his lie (the perjury); Gingrich thought it was unfair he was asked about his affairs during a presidential debate.

Politicans personal sexual lives, as long as they don't involve coercion, etc. of course, should be a non-issue. That he is facing questions about his past today he has mainly himself to blame and he should admit it...not necessarily for his personal sexual behaviors, but for his exceedingly large contribution to fostering an atmosphere where such subjects are considered legitamite public fodder.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,965,968 times
Quote:

I don't see Newt doing well in Idaho. Mitt has a chance with all the Mormons in the state. Think, once Mitt leaves Florida and starts moving west, he'll find people more welcoming of his religion.
In my travels around the state, I see more Ron Paul signs, than any other.

Newt, as one poster said, has a lot more than his failed marriages, he was in bed with Freddie & Fannie, this shouldn't be taken lightly.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,254,311 times
Quote:
Why does it even matter if Gingrich has been married several times and has cheated on his wife. That has nothing to do with how he will lead the country! Every person in this world has a past and everybody has done things that are shameful and that they regret. Cut Gingrich a break!
Forget the fact that he had a tunnel visioned hatred of Bill Clinton and went for his throat over a blow job..........all the while he was banging Callista behind mistress/wife #2.

Infidelity only matters when it's a Democrat; otherwise it's anything goes with the evangelical Christian/'family values' crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections