Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Romney is only catering to the anti-abortion/anti-PPH crowd and nothing more. He is a dolt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have never given money to Susan G. Komen or Planned Parenthood. But I would never give money to anything that is associated with Planned Parenthood.
I would never give any money to the GOP but i will give to PPH.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
But it IS all about abortion.

Karen Handel, SGK's VP for Policy Issues, was hired in Apr 2011. She is a staunch anti-abortionist.

Prior to working for SGK, Handel was the Georgia Sec of State, and a GOP candidate for governor. While in that position, she worked to get PP defunded in Georgia. Handel ran for governor of Georgia in 2010, on a platform of defunding PP.

As soon as she got to SGK, Handel began devising a scheme to cut off the Foundation's association with PP. According to leaked internal memos, and statements of staffers, Handel purposely created a new policy, that SGK would not contribute to any organization under congressional investigation. Currently, PP is under investigation by the GOP-led US HR, for alleged violations of the Hyde Amendment.

Handel's machinizations have been exposed, SGK has back-tracked, and she is probably going to be ousted. But the lasting damage to the reputation of SGK remains to be seen.

The really interesting question at this point... just how did a GOP anti-abortion activist get hired into such a critical job at a women's health foundation in the first place?
who cares? Honestly - what if the founder of SBK is pro life? Maybe she doesn't want her funding to go to any organizations that perform abortions, no matter what the number is. The important thing is that SBK donors know what their priorities are. Yes, they spend money on breast cancer awareness, which is great. They also spend money on sueing organizations for using "for the cure" in any literature or event names. Apparantly, no one else in the United States can be for curing **** other than SBK.

Donate your dollars to Planned Parenthood if you want to support them. Donate to SBK if you want to support them. Donate to the Catholic church if you want to support them. What each organization does with their money is their business, and their potential donars will decide based on their actions.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
nearly 40,000 women will die each year from breast cancer. with early detection, that number can be reduced. You're free to be pro-life, but falsely painting PP as abortion being their true mission is not helping you win any arguments. Simply walk down the street and start asking random women if they've ever used PP for any health services, you'll be shocked at how many women have. My sister had to her first 2 years out of college when she was a biology researcher in Maryland, because she couldn't afford regular doctor appointments. She's never had an abortion, FYI.
The kindest response I can make is that you're in serious denial.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney thrust himself into the the Susan G. Komen controversy on Monday when he said in a radio interview that he agreed with Komen's decision to cut Planned Parenthood funding.
When Minnesota radio host Scott Hennen asked Romney whether Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the leading U.S. anti-breast cancer charity, should continue to give Planned Parenthood grants for cancer screenings and mammogram referrals, Romney said, "I don't think so."

Mitt Romney: Susan G. Komen Was Right to Cut Planned Parenthood

Wow, Romnney has the worst case of foot in mouth disease ever recorded. This guy is a complete dolt. I'm starting to think Newt might be the better challenge to Obama moon colony and all.
Poor Willard . It's not that he's dumb, exactly. By all accounts, he actually has a functioning analytical brain.

It's that he's lived in a double-bubble of extreme wealth and LDS doctrine all his life. For some reason, he can't wap his mind around the fact that his reality isn't everyone's reality. This fault, plus his situational approach to core values, is going to doom his candidacy.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would never give any money to the GOP but i will give to PPH.
I don't understand why you brought my post into saying this. I would not waste my money on any political cause. We give to "share the warmth" and a children's home and USO, etc. Our mailbox gets an average of three letters a day from people that want money. I don't know who is giving out our name but most of those sending letters are just wasting their money which is the biggest reason not to give to them. I try to put the money where it goes to those in need.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The kindest response I can make is that you're in serious denial.

Don't know why you referred to the poster as being in denial?

I also used PP in college and I have never had an abortion. They were the only clinic I could afford to go to making $6.25 an hour since they had a sliding fee scale and I got the majority of my services done for free.

Pretty much all of my friends in college used PP. We didn't have any other options for gynecological. Our university health clinic would even inform us to use PP for gyn exams because they only provided general health care like if you had a cold or something.

At the time that I went to PP I was not aware of all the controversy surrounding PP and abortion. I never heard the word "abortion" and I never was offered an abortion. I was given condoms and birth control at my own request but never was "abortion" mentioned.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Poor Willard . It's not that he's dumb, exactly. By all accounts, he actually has a functioning analytical brain.

It's that he's lived in a double-bubble of extreme wealth and LDS doctrine all his life. For some reason, he can't wap his mind around the fact that his reality isn't everyone's reality. This fault, plus his situational approach to core values, is going to doom his candidacy.
If that last sentence is true, our country is a sad place to live. And you are right. I live in a world that most of you would find strange. No, I am not Mormon but I have Morman friends and relatives and most of the people I socialize with are Christian. I feel so sorry for those that do not have Christian core values. The poor people I know would never steal just because they are not rich. There is no connection of crime and proverty for us. Money and morals are two different things. Our God has promised to fulfill all our needs and we have faith to believe He will. And we will remain true to our faith even if it comes to death for the Christian and I do think that is coming. This administration is over the top in what it thinks it has a right to do.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Don't know why you referred to the poster as being in denial?

I also used PP in college and I have never had an abortion. They were the only clinic I could afford to go to making $6.25 an hour since they had a sliding fee scale and I got the majority of my services done for free.

Pretty much all of my friends in college used PP. We didn't have any other options for gynecological. Our university health clinic would even inform us to use PP for gyn exams because they only provided general health care like if you had a cold or something.

At the time that I went to PP I was not aware of all the controversy surrounding PP and abortion. I never heard the word "abortion" and I never was offered an abortion. I was given condoms and birth control at my own request but never was "abortion" mentioned.
Thank you for an eloquent first-person account of all the good work PP does, besides the crucial service of providing women with safe, legal pregnancy terminations when needed.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
who cares? Honestly - what if the founder of SBK is pro life? Maybe she doesn't want her funding to go to any organizations that perform abortions, no matter what the number is. The important thing is that SBK donors know what their priorities are. Yes, they spend money on breast cancer awareness, which is great. They also spend money on sueing organizations for using "for the cure" in any literature or event names. Apparantly, no one else in the United States can be for curing **** other than SBK.

Donate your dollars to Planned Parenthood if you want to support them. Donate to SBK if you want to support them. Donate to the Catholic church if you want to support them. What each organization does with their money is their business, and their potential donars will decide based on their actions.
Who cares???

Well, first off, the Board of Directors for SGK, as they try to save their foundation in the aftermath of this fiasco.

Secondly, anyone intersted in defending a woman's access to a safe, legal abortion in this country.

Thirdly, anyone who likes a good mystery. This was a back-door plot by at least one manager at SGK to undermine PP. I want to see what the investigation reveals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections