Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Walker will lie his way to his agenda. This is his main issue.

It was never about the unions. Everyone knows the unions pensions and so forth needed to be reigned in. It is more about the underhanded way Walker deals with things.

What makes me laugh the most is how Republicans love to criticize Obama for denying Keystone because "it would have created so many jobs" yet say nothing when Walker killed jobs essentially the same way by not allowing high speed rail in his state.

He destroyed a lot of potential jobs by doing that. Since high speed rail is a "green" and "liberal" idea, I suppose it's okay in this instance. Right, Republicans?
If Amtrack can't exist without constant government handouts, what makes you think that a high speed rail would be a much better investment of government money?

The Keystone Pipeline would be a guaranteed money maker and not need government money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Default facts are pesky things.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
............What makes me laugh the most is how Republicans love to criticize Obama for denying Keystone because "it would have created so many jobs" yet say nothing when Walker killed jobs essentially the same way by not allowing high speed rail in his state.

He destroyed a lot of potential jobs by doing that. Since high speed rail is a "green" and "liberal" idea, I suppose it's okay in this instance. Right, Republicans?
1) States are required by law to have balanced budgets.
2) States cannot "print money" for unfunded spending projects.

Neither 1 nor 2 apply to the federal government, as evident by Obama's $5 Trillion of racked up debt without a budget to date in office.

3) Keystone was a private venture not using public capital. Learn the difference between taxpayer funded and private.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Evenstar,
I encourage to read my post in response to Fl.Bob's post. The folks in Wisconsin, it would seem, prefer voter id laws. I think maybe your characterization is a bit off.

While I'm a strong advocate of reading the links that others post, the topic of this thread isn't voter registration or voter I.D. laws, but rather Governor Walker's attempt to divert federal monies supplied to help with foreclosures to bolster Wisconsin's debt. I think my characterization is very much in tune with the residents of that state, as evidenced through the link which I provided. I do appreciate the civil nature of your posts, and wish that there were more like you.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If Amtrack can't exist without constant government handouts, what makes you think that a high speed rail would be a much better investment of government...
You have any idea what you're talking about? Government hand outs? You have any idea how much goes to other forms of transportation?

Amtrak got about $1.6 billion last FY down from $2.8 billion under Bush's budget.

Fact is the FAA spends ten times that much every years. The highways in this country costs the federal government nearly $43 billion and over half of the transportation department's ARRA funds are going to the roadways, over $27 billion. While thinking about how much the federal government spends on roads don't forget that state and local governments pay even more on the roads we take for granted.

Rubber tires on concrete or asphalt is by far the biggest drain of our tax dollars. But you want to complain about the transportation mode that gives the most bang for the money we spend on it. Cost per ton-mile, water is cheapest, followed by rail, then air, and last is rubber on concrete. If you were truly fiscally conservative you would be advocating for more rails not less.

EVERYTHING spent for rail, high speed rail, mass transit (that includes buses, transit tails line and other modes) costs less than what the FAA costs, $13.6 billion vs $16.7 billion for the FAA.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Smile Wisc Walker wants to ..

...avoid recall.

Bad news for that boy.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Evenstar...My first post if you will go back to the beginning is very much on-topic. I was responding to Bob's 'off-topic' post, quoted here.

"It is true, Wisc is one of the battlefields that have Repub overreach. Most Americans want to see that stopped. Justice Dept is working on many other States to negate their efforts at voter suppression, etc."

I veered off the road to help Bob see that he not did provide any backup to his comments. Thought I'd help him out, since anything beyond a smarta.... quip is beyond him.

Anyway, it is in the stream of consciousness that you and Bob have with regard to Governor Walker. So, the specific perceived sin is kind of irrelevant in your minds. It's all of the same fabric, no? What happens with Walker is less important than to let silliness pass for body politic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
While I'm a strong advocate of reading the links that others post, the topic of this thread isn't voter registration or voter I.D. laws, but rather Governor Walker's attempt to divert federal monies supplied to help with foreclosures to bolster Wisconsin's debt. I think my characterization is very much in tune with the residents of that state, as evidenced through the link which I provided. I do appreciate the civil nature of your posts, and wish that there were more like you.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Here is one month of air passenger traffic, "USDOT reports that U.S. airlines carried 60.5 million scheduled domestic and international passengers in April 2011." Even if one extrapolates a full year,using a fractional modifier in the formula of say - 10%, the figure is still like 653,000,000 passengers per year. Maybe this would explain why the FAA spends so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You have any idea what you're talking about? Government hand outs? You have any idea how much goes to other forms of transportation?

Amtrak got about $1.6 billion last FY down from $2.8 billion under Bush's budget.

Fact is the FAA spends ten times that much every years. The highways in this country costs the federal government nearly $43 billion and over half of the transportation department's ARRA funds are going to the roadways, over $27 billion. While thinking about how much the federal government spends on roads don't forget that state and local governments pay even more on the roads we take for granted.

Rubber tires on concrete or asphalt is by far the biggest drain of our tax dollars. But you want to complain about the transportation mode that gives the most bang for the money we spend on it. Cost per ton-mile, water is cheapest, followed by rail, then air, and last is rubber on concrete. If you were truly fiscally conservative you would be advocating for more rails not less.

EVERYTHING spent for rail, high speed rail, mass transit (that includes buses, transit tails line and other modes) costs less than what the FAA costs, $13.6 billion vs $16.7 billion for the FAA.

Last edited by earthlyfather; 02-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: gotta put those extra zeros in there

Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

Amtrack is a privately owned company that needs how many billions over the years to stay afloat? Few people use it.

The Highway system is owned by the government...big difference. There are a lot of taxes that are created to fund these highways. The gas tax gives the federal and state governments more profit off of oil than the oil companies themselves.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Hey Moon,
Groundhog day, again. No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Amtrack is a privately owned company that needs how many billions over the years to stay afloat? Few people use it.

The Highway system is owned by the government...big difference. There are a lot of taxes that are created to fund these highways. The gas tax gives the federal and state governments more profit off of oil than the oil companies themselves.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Evenstar...My first post if you will go back to the beginning is very much on-topic. I was responding to Bob's 'off-topic' post, quoted here.

"It is true, Wisc is one of the battlefields that have Repub overreach. Most Americans want to see that stopped. Justice Dept is working on many other States to negate their efforts at voter suppression, etc."

I veered off the road to help Bob see that he not did provide any backup to his comments. Thought I'd help him out, since anything beyond a smarta.... quip is beyond him.

Anyway, it is in the stream of consciousness that you and Bob have with regard to Governor Walker. So, the specific perceived sin is kind of irrelevant in your minds. It's all of the same fabric, no? What happens with Walker is less important than to let silliness pass for body politic.

Actually, it isn't so much a "stream of consciousness" as it is having many friends in my northern neighbor state, friends who keep me up to date on what's happening there. Governor Walker's "specific perceived sin" is in his hypocrisy and, being unable to stabilize WI's economy, his intention to use funds earmarked to aid those in foreclosure to keep their homes to plug gaps in the state budget. I certainly can't speak for florida.bob, but IMO Scott Walker has done far more to harm WI than to help it. What happens to Walker is a large part of the body politic, as it's an indicator of how well the Tea Party candidates have served their constituents and whether there is reason to expect them to remain as an entity in future elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections