Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Primaries are mostly proportional allocation this time around, as opposed to Winner-Takes-All. So even if you don't come in 1st, you do get delegates. So your statement that Paul won't win a single one of those is false.

P.S: You in particular, spread a lot of misinformation on C-D about delegates. Last time it was your claim about 600-700 superdelegates, when there are only 117. If you don't know the process, please ask. Please don't spread falsehoods.
I was talking about unbound delegates--not super delegates--there's a difference, and the combined number of super delegates and unbound delgates is just under 500 (I admitted that I was off on the total for this round--the rules change, and I accidentally called them all superdelegates in a post and later corrected myself) You are correct that the R's have 117 super delegates. Before you get your panties in a wad and start challenging information, it helps to make sure that YOU know what you're talking about.

Republican Party presidential primaries, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are also correct that the March primaries are proportional. I live in a state with a later primary, so to be honest, I haven't paid attention. I asked the question--there's no need to be nasty about it.

Last edited by mb1547; 02-23-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
I actually prefer CNN for election news...I rarely watch FOX anymore...Usually CNN nowadays.
and watching only one network will give you a good overall view? At least you are not saying you watch MSNBC.

Nita

Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM

840 posts, read 781,501 times
I like CNN because of the board thing they use for the election days. Its fun to see.

325 posts, read 219,371 times
Yes. John King did say that after the debate in Arizona last night. Ron Paul is second in delegates and will have enough to win the nomination

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I dont know the answers to all your questions but from what i do know-

Yes he gets delegates from supporters. Some states also give our delegates based on position in the voting. Winner gets the most then 2nd gets less etc. So he earns delegates in states he doesnt win.
But remember, causus delegates, for the most part are not binding.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's where I'm not sure what some of you Paul supporters are saying. If I have this wrong, correct me, but it sounds like in states where Paul did not win the caucus, Paul supporters "stayed late" to get elected to the state convention? I know the rules vary state by state on delegates by candidate, but the national delegates will be elected at the state convention, and they're almost always well connected republicans. I'm confused how some of you think that electing people to the state convention is going to get you to the national? I'm not trying to beat up on you--I think I'm missing something here. I can't imagine that you have enough Paul county delegates in each state to pull a coup at the state conventions to send your people on.

That's what it sounds like. TRMS has been covering this and trying to explain it for a while. I still don't get it and worst, it all sounds very underhanded to me.

Rachel Maddow Explains Why Ron Paul Sees Delegates From His Delusions | Nuts and Dolts

Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That's what it sounds like. TRMS has been covering this and trying to explain it for a while. I still don't get it and worst, it all sounds very underhanded to me.

Rachel Maddow Explains Why Ron Paul Sees Delegates From His Delusions | Nuts and Dolts
Thanks--I've had some major health issues since last summer so I'm following this primary from my sofa vs. working it. If that's what the Paul people are actually doing, it's sleezy.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM

325 posts, read 219,371 times
Quote:
Thanks--I've had some major health issues since last summer so I'm following this primary from my sofa vs. working it. If that's what the Paul people are actually doing, it's sleezy.
It's perfectly legit. If Romney and Santorum don't have the delegates, then Ron Paul wins.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,365 times
Quote:
I was talking about unbound delegates--not super delegates--there's a difference, and the combined number of super delegates and unbound delgates is just under 500 (I admitted that I was off on the total for this round--the rules change) You are correct that the R's have 117 super delegates.
You were specifically talking about superdelegates.

Quote:
I asked the question--there's no need to be nasty about it.
You didn't ask a question. Re-read your post again. You were posting as if it was a fact. I am not being nasty. I was trying to be civil the best way I can, while still correcting you. I'm sorry if you got hurt.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelintheSky View Post
It's perfectly legit. If Romney and Santorum don't have the delegates, then Ron Paul wins.
Just because it follows a loophole in the rules doesn't make it right--is that what we've come down to? Paul isn't going to get the nomination, but if by some crazy fluke he did (a meteor could hit my house and kill me in my living room too--what are the odds?) the general would be over the day he was nominated. Is that what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections