Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Everyone should have the chance. Sadly, in the United States that's not the case.
BULL, anyone who wants and education can get it, but they may have to sacrafice a little. There are scholarships (many are never used) there are student loans, there are kids who work part time, some even full time and go to school part time. I could go on and on, you want it, you will find a way to get it. If you can't it is because you really don't want it bad enough. How about ROTC for starters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,819 times
wait Santorum beef with college professors is that they indoctrinate 18 yr olds
but he has no problem with parents and religous insitutions indoctrinating children
when they are not even old enough to cross the street.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
but he has no problem with parents and religous insitutions indoctrinating children
Wow. Aren't parents supposed to teach their own children? Isn't the Church supposed to teach their members the word of God?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
I agree with Rick 100%. Many, many kids do not belong in college. Maybe they are not smart enough. Maybe they are too smart for the confinement of college. Maybe they want to work with their hands. Perhaps they would rather build colleges, and hospitals and office buildings...
And anyone can go to a community college. Even if they get loans it is only about $2,000 a semester. If they are poor they can get student aid

Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Wow. Aren't parents supposed to teach their own children? Isn't the Church supposed to teach their members the word of God?
Yes, and yes. Unfortunately both have a significant failure rate when it comes to doing what they are supposed to do.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
I don't recall hearing President Obama say that everyone should go to college. I do recall him saying that he would like for everyone to have the opportunity to go to college if they want to, and that he would like for the cost of a college education not to be an obstacle to going, for those who want to.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,396 times
look college does not guarantee anything except wasted time. real life work skills must be learned in the real life work place.

most vocations MUST HAVE hands on training in real life situations not crappy books they charge you an arm and a leg for only to be replaced in 1 year forcing you to buy another one.
CRAPPY book copy rights are a big killer for students.

on community colleges:

there are the administrators of the colleges forcing students to pay more because they can.
Mean while they beautify outside while the toilets inside stink and make new buildings or have campus expansion projects just because they think they will make more money by providing more expensive stuff.

Hello your suppose to be affordable NOT make more money and provide more types of experience.

That is what a community college is suppose to be.

leave the extras to the private colleges and for gods sakes you are taking a handout from gov you should not be paid more than the private workers. most college professors in community colleges are want to teach kids that are poor the administrators are another story of course.

point for employers: stop demanding college degrees and start training your workers. make them sign a contract stating they will work for you a certain amount of years before moving on after training if you feel they will leave you for greener pastures.
DONE.

on to training
engineering you must have hands on training not crappy book training
computer programming MOST programmers LEARN ON THEIR OWN not college.
they start hacking things in high school or younger and become systems engineers etc WITHOUT COLLEGE DEGREES.

college does not teach hacking and real computer skills: they teach basics and you have to learn yourself. real skills come from real life

college is fine for those never the less

college: should be for scientists, engineers, doctors.

all the business lawyer art journalism degrees should be stopped.
lawyers maybe but LAWYERS SUCK we dont need more of them parasites.

more science degrees are needed. NOT *BS* DEGREES yes bull sh degrees.
problem kids take the easy way out since they have to get a college degree while knowing NOTHING.

since science, computer programming, engineering, doctor degrees are too hard they take the easy way out.

simply put they are FORCED to take a degree because EMPLOYERS DEMAND THEY HAVE BS degrees no matter what or their resumes are dumped in the trash bin.

especially the big corporations they want degrees.

mean while students do not have resources to work on their own etc to start their own business like the rich kids in harvard.

so thats why you see most innovators in harvard yale well to do schools. they have mommy and daddy usually there to backstop them so they can fund their projects. if they choose to drop out and start something.

50-99% of innovators never went to college imo they had better stuff to do as they can learn on their own.

90% of college = reading books anyway might as well read it yourself instead.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
nor do I have a problem with this. Families have every right to indoctrinate their children, you certainly do not see anything wrong with this do you? What are families for? As for church, I feel the same, but I do not want a bunch of libs, trying to push thier views down the throats of very impressive kids. I also don't want them using grades as a way to shut kids up form voicing another view. Yes, this does happen, it happened to our granddaughter at Co State University!!!!

Nita

Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
how can people accuse one institution of indoctrination,but engage in indoctrination it self.

I find presenting ideas to a fully grown 18 yr old more noble than
indoctrinating five year old who believe in santa clause.

Im saying its hypocrisy.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
nor do I have a problem with this. Families have every right to indoctrinate their children, you certainly do not see anything wrong with this do you? What are families for? As for church, I feel the same, but I do not want a bunch of libs, trying to push thier views down the throats of very impressive kids. I also don't want them using grades as a way to shut kids up form voicing another view. Yes, this does happen, it happened to our granddaughter at Co State University!!!!

Nita
18 yr old are grown adults they go to college and get exposed to different,ideas plenty of republicans wall street types come out of liberal institutions.
Its ok for a priest to tell 5 yr olds its ok to hate gays, but liberal professor is wrong for teaching the benefeits of liberal tax policy to a full grown adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections