Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
What else is new
But he's considered a liberal now because of his non-incendiary rhetoric and Huntsmanesque moderate style. This is all in spite of the fact that he had easily one of the most staunchly conservative records of any House member.

I wish people would get that. A third party would arise if both parties didn't get it. But as long as we're in a world in which the Democrats get it and the GOP doesn't, we will be doomed to subpar electoral performances. We can still win in November, but it would be a breeze to run against Obama's record without any of this infighting over conservative purity. Do we need to wait until another strong Democratic year comes around to learn our lesson the hard way? I hope not.

As the conservative party, we need our candidate to be a Conservative. But we need a conservative in the mold of a Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, Bob McDonnell, etc. Not a conservative like Santorum, Palin, Bachmann, etc.

As an independent, I could vote for Romney. But if the Republican nominee is Santorum then I will be voting for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
As an independent, I could vote for Romney. But if the Republican nominee is Santorum then I will be voting for Obama.
As an Independent, I always want both parties to put their best foot forward. But I'm thinking that the GOP needs to lose by a landslide just once before they start to comprehend that the extreme right conservatism doesn't win elections.

Reagan is the most conservative president we've ever had in recent history. That only worked for Reagan because it was what we needed in the Cold War at the time and because he had enough charisma to win no matter where he stood on the issues. He could have gotten elected as a Libertarian.

The only question is, how many presidential elections does the GOP have to lose over their idiotic "not conservative enough" tantrums before they wake up to reality?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Reagan executed his office to the left of both Newt 2012 version and Santorum 2012 version. Now Reagan was far right of Santorum's "I'll raise the deficit 5 times, no questions asked" votes. Hillary was to the right of Santorum on fiscal issues based on his Senate record. RS might as well have given his vote as a proxy to Sanders.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
As an Independent, I always want both parties to put their best foot forward. But I'm thinking that the GOP needs to lose by a landslide just once before they start to comprehend that the extreme right conservatism doesn't win elections.

Reagan is the most conservative president we've ever had in recent history. That only worked for Reagan because it was what we needed in the Cold War at the time and because he had enough charisma to win no matter where he stood on the issues. He could have gotten elected as a Libertarian.

The only question is, how many presidential elections does the GOP have to lose over their idiotic "not conservative enough" tantrums before they wake up to reality?

Reagan was not all that conservative starting out, he morphed into a lot of his more conservative ways. He was once a liberal Democrat and he supported abortion rights.
From what I have heard,when Reagan ran for president he was treated very much like Mitt Romney is being treated...even right down to the threat of the brokered convention. Let's remember that he ran and failed also. The media wasn't as prevalent then so it wasn't quite as bad, but people who remember say he really had to fight to get the nomination and everyone said he would lose.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Don't fall off your high horse by calling me childish. I'm not impressed. I don't want independent voters in my proposed Conservative Party and I think the Liberals feel the same. We want to know what we are getting when we vote Liberal or Conservative. You guys that sway in the breeze can nominate your own candidates, and donate your own money,for the Humpty Dumpty Party ticket (or whatever you want to call yourselves) and be what you want to be.
The bold is the reason I am Independent. I don't want you and your nutty-ness running my country so I would rather use my independent thoughts and ideals, ones that are not confined by any political party or political philosophy and ensure that you extreme people on both the right and the left don't run my country into the ground.

It is as simple as that for me. Extreme views should not be in charge of our country.

If you can provide a good moderate conservative candidate who is worth anything, I will vote for him/her (in regards to this specific upcoming presidential election). I am rather conservative on a lot of issues but don't give me any Santorum or even Gingrich (even though I don't buy his ultra-right pandering at the moment) or Palin or any ultra right wing conservative. Romney is at least tolerable.

Also wanted to note that I am not a Ron Paul supporter, I don't see him as a viable alternative to the mainstream candidates and even though some Independents view him this way I do feel if he made it as the nominee so much would come out about him that many would be put off as he is also extreme in a lot of ways both liberal and conservative.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold is the reason I am Independent. I don't want you and your nutty-ness running my country so I would rather use my independent thoughts and ideals, ones that are not confined by any political party or political philosophy and ensure that you extreme people on both the right and the left don't run my country into the ground.

It is as simple as that for me. Extreme views should not be in charge of our country.

If you can provide a good moderate conservative candidate who is worth anything, I will vote for him/her (in regards to this specific upcoming presidential election). I am rather conservative on a lot of issues but don't give me any Santorum or even Gingrich (even though I don't buy his ultra-right pandering at the moment) or Palin or any ultra right wing conservative. Romney is at least tolerable.

Also wanted to note that I am not a Ron Paul supporter, I don't see him as a viable alternative to the mainstream candidates and even though some Independents view him this way I do feel if he made it as the nominee so much would come out about him that many would be put off as he is also extreme in a lot of ways both liberal and conservative.
Well said! Most people do not understand why many voters are Independent Voters, we are, for the most part, moderates that have a low tolerance for extremes, especially in our elected officials. I have never belonged to either Party since neither represents my views on all of the issues, now if a Common Sense Moderate Party were ever come along that represented the vast Majority of us stuck in the middle I would seriously consider joining up, until then it s always the lesser of the evils, which for some of us gets really old. As for the GOP they are making it easy, select Santorum and Obama is a shoe in, Romney would make it closer, but then again there are sometimes that I feel Romney is in the wrong Party, oh and forget the other two, they are no longer worth even discussing as serious candidates at this point.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Casper, Do not confuse noise made with influence. Romney beating up the also rans demonstrates well, that the majority of the GOP, like the majority of the Democrats, has little tolerence for the extremes, also.

That difference b/w making noise and hving influence is hurting the egos of the TP this year. That bruising of their egos is a big "so what".

But too many confuse noise with influence. The talk shows love the radical left and right, for the same reason circuses made tons off of their freak shows.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Well, independents decide elections. Don't blame the parties, blame the people. The parties will do what they can to win a support of the majority of the people. You should be ranting against the independents themselves, and tell them to pick a side. Because it's completely unacceptable to be pro choice and pro-gun rights. Or to be pro-flat tax and pro-gay marriage. Such opinions should never be allowed in this country.

Why should our politicians be forced into the far right/left fringes of the political spectrum, when most Americans are right-leaning moderates?
That's just it. The moderate middle decides elections in this country. Those that don't fit into that agenda might want to consider the fact that their stance on issues is a tad EXTREME.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Well said! Most people do not understand why many voters are Independent Voters, we are, for the most part, moderates that have a low tolerance for extremes, especially in our elected officials. I have never belonged to either Party since neither represents my views on all of the issues, now if a Common Sense Moderate Party were ever come along that represented the vast Majority of us stuck in the middle I would seriously consider joining up, until then it s always the lesser of the evils, which for some of us gets really old. As for the GOP they are making it easy, select Santorum and Obama is a shoe in, Romney would make it closer, but then again there are sometimes that I feel Romney is in the wrong Party, oh and forget the other two, they are no longer worth even discussing as serious candidates at this point.
Good comment. Reflects my own point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections