Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ABC News' Matthew Jaffe and Shushannah Walshe report:
Rick Santorum Wednesday became the first Republican presidential hopeful in this election to visit Puerto Rico before the island commonwealth's Sunday primary, taking a controversial stand on statehood that he was forced to defend this morning after losing a key supporter.

Quote:
The question of statehood is a huge issue in Puerto Rico, which is set to vote on the matter in November. The island's voters will have a referendum on whether to become a state, something some Puerto Ricans favor and others oppose, whether they be in favor of remaining a commonwealth or becoming independent.
Santorum's comments left one of his supporters, Oreste Ramos, so upset that the former Puerto Rican senator rescinded his endorsement.
"Although such a requirement would be unconstitutional, and also would clash with our sociological and linguistic reality, as a question of principle I cannot back a person who holds that position," Oreste said, according to El Vocero. "As a Puerto Rican and Spanish-speaking U.S. citizen, I consider the position of Mr. Santorum offensive."

Rick Santorum Defends Call for Puerto Rico to Adopt English After Delegate Defection - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/rick-santorum-defends-call-puerto-rico-adopt-english-161629327--abc-news.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Everything about Rick Santorum is wrong.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
I just can't get enough of the GOP primary.

Romney has the delegates, but let's face it, Santorum is the guy who really has the most GOP support. When you take Gingrich out of the picture, Santorum is now the leader of the republitard party. He is the conservative, and let's just admit what we know: the GOP will NOT support Romney. They just won't. If the republitard power brokers force the republitard voters to accept Romney as their candidate, the voters and the perhaps the party itself will revolt. They are not going to rally behind this guy. And there is nothing that Bob Dole, the Bushes, and Eric Cantor can do about it.

And that's the best part. They can either force Romney on republitards and have the weakest, most lackluster turnout in years....or they can go with their authentic conservative nutter, Sen. Santorum. And oh wait a show this guy would put on. This guy is great because he has proven that he doesn't give a damn about what the outside world thinks of his opinions; he's going to say them regardless of whether the voters want to hear it or not. He doesn't want to be a moderate. He either wins the election his way or not at all. No pragmatism whatsoever. It's all ideology, all the time.

I see why the establishment is trying so hard to bury Santorum. They know what most moderates and democrats already know, that Santorum would send the republitards to a humiliating defeat against an incumbent that is otherwise very weak. It would seriously injure the republitard brand for at least four years, if not longer. The few remaining republitards who have any sense left know this, and get this.

But the core of the right wing does not. I say that they need Santorum to win. The republicans need Santorum to win. They need to see once and for all what happens when their fantasize of sending a loon to the general election finally happens. They need to see it to believe it. And believe it they will. Maybe then the republitard party will go back to being the Republican party. But not until then.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Rick Santorum Defends Call for Puerto Rico to Adopt English After Delegate Defection - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/rick-santorum-defends-call-puerto-rico-adopt-english-161629327--abc-news.html - broken link)
Being a Romney apologist, I guess you just don't understand what it means for a candidate to have a belief, make it known, and then stand by it.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Being a Romney apologist, I guess you just don't understand what it means for a candidate to have a belief, make it known, and then stand by it.
Auto bailout and he stood by it in Michigan.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:

At least I am clear about what I am and who I am on here, unlike you who pretends to be something you are not to further an agenda you don't claim...so who is the honest one?

Mitt Romney has taken several stands on issues that do not make him popular and particularly in certain states where other candidate pandered.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,365 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Auto bailout and he stood by it in Michigan.

Automobile Industry: Mitt Romney flip-flops on the Automobile Industry - WhichMitt.com - YouTube

Sorry, what was that again?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Everything about Rick Santorum is wrong.
Just wait..Rick might insist that Puerto Ricans become white if they want statehood.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Going through a managed bankruptcy doesn't mean a company ceases to exist, you do realize GM went through bankruptcy.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Just wait..Rick might insist that Puerto Ricans become white if they want statehood.
The Puerto Ricans themselves think they are White ... see the US Census data from the island. Something like 85% of Puerto Ricans claim to be White when in reality they are "Hispanic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections