Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

He also said his party can appeal to Latinos, and win the presidency, with a low-tax, pro-business message. "Those people who don't think that Latinos will vote for a Republican need to take a look in Puerto Rico," said the former Massachusetts governor, noting that the territory's governor and its legislative leaders are conservative.
"Hispanic voters are going to vote for Republicans if we stand for something -- conservative principles that bring growth and good jobs and rising home values. That's how we're going to win, and we're going to get Latino voters to help us out."

Romney handily wins Puerto Rico's GOP primary - CNN.com

Exactly how are rising home values good for workers at the bottom of the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Exactly how are rising home values good for workers at the bottom of the economy?
Exactly how are they not?

A robust real estate market will put people back to work, and help a whole lot of people whose mortgages are underwater get back on their feet. It will aso break up the housing backlog that is keeping the economy from breaking out of its current slump. These things impact all Americans -- including Hispanics.

I can bet you that Mr. Obama is praying for home values to recover -- and sooner rather than later.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Exactly how are they not?

A robust real estate market will put people back to work, and help a whole lot of people whose mortgages are underwater get back on their feet. It will aso break up the housing backlog that is keeping the economy from breaking out of its current slump. These things impact all Americans -- including Hispanics.

I can bet you that Mr. Obama is praying for home values to recover -- and sooner rather than later.

Increased employment --> increased household formation (e.g. unemployed Junior lives in Mom's basement. he gets a job and finds a place to rent) --> lower rental vacancy rates --> landlords raise rents --> burger flipper is screwed, maybe he moves back to HIS Mom's basement.

OOPS.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Romney isn't even good for Romney,much less anyone else.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
So true!!!! (tried to rep ya, but have to spread the love-thanks for the laugh!!!)

Seriously, I have a hard time relating to Mitt myself, but I wonder if he has any cred. given that his dad grew up in Mexico. I cannot imagine much, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
So true!!!! (tried to rep ya, but have to spread the love-thanks for the laugh!!!)

Seriously, I have a hard time relating to Mitt myself, but I wonder if he has any cred. given that his dad grew up in Mexico. I cannot imagine much, but maybe I'm wrong.
I can not relate to any person of the silver spoon club...we have nothing in common,our backgrounds,education,friends etc etc never cross paths except the occasional laugh I get from them at the boat ramps when they ram their $150,000 + boats into the dock or concrete ramp while trying to show off....and I'm fairly happy about that really.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 12,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
All too true.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
He also said his party can appeal to Latinos, and win the presidency, with a low-tax, pro-business message. "Those people who don't think that Latinos will vote for a Republican need to take a look in Puerto Rico," said the former Massachusetts governor, noting that the territory's governor and its legislative leaders are conservative.
"Hispanic voters are going to vote for Republicans if we stand for something -- conservative principles that bring growth and good jobs and rising home values. That's how we're going to win, and we're going to get Latino voters to help us out."
Here's the thing, Mitt.

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens. Therefore, Republicans cannot ever write racist legislation that targets them (although it probably wouldn't be wise for a Puerto Rican to go to Apraioland or rural Alabama).

What Republicans don't seem to realize is that many of the Hispanic immigrants both legal and illegal now have children in their 30's and even older. Many are college educated. Very few support Republicans now and it makes sense.

Educated people obviously look at the big picture. The big picture to many college educated Hispanics is that Republican lawmakers are targeting Mexican illegals while doing nothing about the 40 percent of illegals who overstay their visa. In turn, they are telling their families to never vote Republican. Sit out if you have to.

Most immigrant families have at least one college educated child. Who do you suppose they listen to first about everything?

The Republicans have no idea the damage they have done when it comes to Hispanics. It shows even through comments on this board.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
The "Republicans" in Puerto Rico voted for Romney since it was a GOP Primary. It was not a endorsement by all Puerto Ricans. The other problem Romney has is that hispanics in the US according to the last poll by Univision favor Obama 2 to 1 over any GOP canidate to date. Obama's approval ratings amongst hispanics number in the mid 60's percentile.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Not a chance Mitt... just because you have family in Mexico doesn't mean you are good for Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections