Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,196,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
That's it?!?

Imagine what would happen in these states of Mitt Romney didn't have to rely on outspending Santorum 55-1!

Romney has virtual monopoly on Wisconsin TV, outspending Santorum more than 50 to 1 - POLITICO.com

But, no doubt, Mitt Romney and his supporters will puff themselves up with pride at their ability to win by double digits after completely carpet-bombing a campaign so inept it couldn't even get on the Virginia ballot and an opponent even more gaffe-prone than Romney himself.

It's fun to watch ...
You mean sort of like Obama beat McCain...by outspending him. That is a tired and silly excuse for losing. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,345,568 times
Wisconsin will be the most important race in a month. Romney needs to win a Midwestern moderate state where the race between Dems and Repubs could be competitive. He really has yet to do that in any of the major races where he's been pitted against Santorum mano a mano. You have to figure Santorum will win his home state of PA, and he has cut a swath in the south and midwest.

If Romney can defeat Santorum in Wisc., I think that would be the end of the race, regardless of what happens next. It would be a sign that Santorum's appeal to moderates is fading, which I think it is, but has yet to be proven in a race.

However, we've seen this before. Romney moves into a state with a double digit lead that then evaporates in a flash. If Santorum wins it just reinforces the growing perception that he is a weak candidate who can't inspire Republicans to vote for him.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM

26,652 posts, read 15,204,919 times
I surely hope this poll is accurate. It seems like Santorum keeps performing better than the polls even when he loses. Romney needs a big win here and a clean sweep on April 3rd so the pressure will build during the 3 weeks until the next contests for Santorum to get out. He better not be staying in hoping for a VP spot offer.

My birthday is April 24th. A great present would be Romney wins in Delaware, Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island and a surprise win in Pennsylvania. The last one might be too much to ask for, but I think he'll easily get the rest.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Wisconsin will be the most important race in a month. Romney needs to win a Midwestern moderate state where the race between Dems and Repubs could be competitive. He really has yet to do that in any of the major races where he's been pitted against Santorum mano a mano.
Ohio? Ohio is a true swing state and the race was pretty much between Romney and Santorum. Wisconsin really isn't that much of a swing state (at least not in presidential elections). It's not a safe Democratic state, but it's definitely Democratic-leaning.

And he was basically pitted against Newt mano a mano in Florida - another swing state - and won there by a large margin.

Quote:
You have to figure Santorum will win his home state of PA, and he has cut a swath in the south and midwest.
Only in the western part of the midwest.

Quote:
If Romney can defeat Santorum in Wisc., I think that would be the end of the race, regardless of what happens next. It would be a sign that Santorum's appeal to moderates is fading, which I think it is, but has yet to be proven in a race.
Romney did much better among lower/middle income and tea party voters in Illinois than he did in other states. I think that the Illinois primary was somewhat of a turning point, unless of course Santorum's win in Louisiana gives him some momentum.

Santorum has never done very well with moderates, except in Louisiana and perhaps some of the caucus states.

Nevertheless, I don't think Santorum will drop out even if he loses Wisconsin (and, based on demographics, it's a near certainty that he will).

Quote:
However, we've seen this before. Romney moves into a state with a double digit lead that then evaporates in a flash. If Santorum wins it just reinforces the growing perception that he is a weak candidate who can't inspire Republicans to vote for him.
Romney is getting stronger and polling better among Republicans and, as I said earlier, I think the IL primary was a turning point in that he was able to do well among groups he's struggled with in the past.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-25-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,322,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
My home state was smart enough to fire Russ Feingold and go completely red in 2010, so I'm sure they are smart enough to pick Romney over Santorum.

ON WISCONSIN!
They are also smart enough to mount a recall campaign against Scott Walker and similar campaigns that have netted the Democratic Party additional seats in the Wisconsin State Legislature.

I've got the give them credit for realizing they made a mistake.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,776,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You mean sort of like Obama beat McCain...by outspending him. That is a tired and silly excuse for losing. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
You have to admit though spending 55-1 is sorta obscene and honestly is unfortunate for Romney to have to use that much capital.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I surely hope this poll is accurate. It seems like Santorum keeps performing better than the polls even when he loses. Romney needs a big win here and a clean sweep on April 3rd so the pressure will build during the 3 weeks until the next contests for Santorum to get out. He better not be staying in hoping for a VP spot offer.

My birthday is April 24th. A great present would be Romney wins in Delaware, Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island and a surprise win in Pennsylvania. The last one might be too much to ask for, but I think he'll easily get the rest.
Wait for a Quinnipiac or similiar poll result. I know a lot of people like Rassmussen for whatever reason, but if you ever research the way they do polling (with no calling of cell phones, using computers to ask questions, and not asking for anyone beyond who answers the phone in the household) it creates large error tolerances in the results. Combine that with the "likely voter" methodology that isn't IMO a great starting point (for a lot of reasons), it just starts to become a head scratcher for why they haven't cleaned up their process...

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,225,298 times
To be fair that 55-1 ratio is as much from Santorum hardly spending anything as it is Romney spending a lot.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
To be fair that 55-1 ratio is as much from Santorum hardly spending anything as it is Romney spending a lot.
True, but if your the front runner with media coverage, why would you not just do a set ratio compared to your main oppoent if it's within reason (say 5 to 1 or 10 to 1). If he only spends $1 dollar, well, spend $10. If its $1 billion, spend $10B (unrealistic but to show a point).

If anything, it seems to be an overuse of assets IMO by Romney.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,984,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
They are also smart enough to mount a recall campaign against Scott Walker and similar campaigns that have netted the Democratic Party additional seats in the Wisconsin State Legislature.

I've got the give them credit for realizing they made a mistake.
See you in June when Walker destroys Kathleen Falk in the recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections