Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Cenk is by no means "Mr. Liberal" he brings it guns blazing every show and bashes anyone and everyone that deserves it, left or right. He's bashed the snot out of Obama many times that would make even the furthest right winger blush.
This is where you and many Democrats fall short, very short. You equate being Democrat to being liberal. Obama is no progressive, which is why he gets bashed by Cenk. I expect any true liberal to bash Obama whenever he deserves it. The only folks that I see doing that are Cenk Uygur and Glenn Greenwald. So while I don't agree with them and think they are absolutely wrong on half the issues, I respect them because they are true to their roots. This is in stark contrast to the so-called "leftists" who give Obama a pass whatever he does, because he has a 'D' besides him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Or you could say it's how brainwashed the Dems are. Obama and Romney are the same, so the Dems must be brainwashed for voting for Obama over Romney.
You didn't watch the video, did you?

They only vote for Obama to show that a D has won. An egotistical show of strength. Not because Obama is any different from any mainstream Republican candidate in economic/fiscal matters.

To further their vision, it doesn't matter who wins to them - Romney or Obama. In a recent poll conducted here by me, Obama supporters overwhelmingly chose Romney over other GOP candidates as an answer to the question - "Which GOP candidate can you live with in the White House?".

Obamney on issues:
No audit of the Federal Reserve - check
Endless Wars - check
Violation of civil liberties (TSA, NDAA, Patriot Act etc.) - check
War on Drugs - check
Redistribution of wealth - check
Socialized Medicine - check
Support for TARP bailouts - check
Stimulus spending - check
Goldman Sachs funded - check
Corporate Robot - check

So yes, I fail to see the difference in matters of prime importance.

Last edited by moving_pains; 04-04-2012 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,089,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

You didn't watch the video, did you?

They only vote for Obama to show that a D has won. An egotistical show of strength. Not because Obama is any different from any mainstream Republican candidate in economic/fiscal matters.
How does that prove I didn't watch the video, that's exactly what I said. You're the one who failed to mention both sides of that coin.

Last edited by tmsterp; 04-04-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,997 times
Quote:
How does that prove I didn't watch the video, that's exactly what I said. You're the one who failed to mention both sides of that coin.
Didn't I just list the striking similarities of Obamney to stimulate your senses? Would you like to counter it?

Obamney on issues:
Endless Wars - check
War on Drugs - check
Corporate Robot - check

Educated prediction of your answer - "I don't care about these issues. Romney is a nice family man and loves dogs."

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Didn't I just list the striking similarities of Obamney to stimulate your senses? Would you like to counter it?

Obamney on issues:
Endless Wars - check
War on Drugs - check
Corporate Robot - check

Educated prediction of your answer - "I don't care about these issues. Romney is a nice family man and loves dogs."
I actually did edit my above post to respond to that, but I just removed it and put it in this new one:

You can go ahead and cherry pick the issues Ron Paul is different from everyone else on, then throw in huge generalizations with no quantifiable way of measuring, and call them "issues" that Obama and Romney are the same on. But there is no sane person who believes Romney and Obama are the same.

Ever since his days as Governor of MA, Romney has stood against unconstitutional federal mandates and for states' rights in health care. Obama has not. Romney was one of the strongest opponents of the auto industry bailout. Obama's the one who did it. Obama's job creation plan includes temporary tax breaks and federal spending on stimulus and infrastructure. Romney's plan includes looser regulations, lower overall tax rates, and fewer trade restrictions. Obama has largely been against increased development of America's energy resources on public land, Romney wants to make that process easier. Obama wants to raise taxes on households that make over $250,000, Romney wants to lower marginal rates and eliminate the estate tax and capital gains tax for all individuals who make less than $200,000. Romney supports the Ryan plan for entitlement reform, Obama has made no move in this area whatsoever (and this issue is a HUGE one). Romney has supported tort reform, Obama has not.

Are the differences between Obama/Romney and Ron Paul greater than the differences between Obama and Romney? Yes. But are Romney and Obama the same? Not even close. And I only addressed economic issues. We can get into social issues and foreign policy if you like

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
There are tons of people on this forum who say they are Conservative but bash the GOP as an organization, this is nothing new.

But regardless - his point was that he was not connected to the Massachusetts GOP (which is exactly what the interviewer asked) and it's failed liberal policies in the Swift administration.
I know it sounds like I'm trying to put a lot of spin on it - but it seriously sounds to me like he was distancing himself from the previous unpopular administration (which was about as liberal as a Republican administration could be) rather than trying to distance himself from the national party. It is very difficult for a party to hold the governor's office for more than 1 years, especially when that party represents less than 15% of registered voters in that state! So he was trying to say he's a breath of fresh air, different from the past leaders in the Massachusetts GOP. It didn't sound like a statement on the GOP as a whole.
Lame defense ONE!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Gee, didn't Ron Paul QUIT the Republican Party once upon a time?

Another threadfail by moving_pains.
Lame defense TWO.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lame defense ONE!
Oh please, go ahead and watch the video, it may help. You may notice she asked him about the Massachusetts GOP, NOT the national GOP. If anyone here sees the Massachusetts GOP as being on par with the national GOP now, much less in 2002, then please do a little research before commenting

Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good point: as for Romney's remarks in 2002, 1-that was 10 years ago and 2-one can be conservative, moderate or whatever and still not be a Republican and visa versa.

I know, my thoughts on many issues, since 2002 have changed, I am sure many of us can say the same, At least if we are honest we can.

Nita
Number THREE!

And that's just one one page so i'll stop now.

C'mon...you guys just don't wanna face up to the fact that all of that "no more liberals in the Republican Party" stuff that you were all screaming about just 1 election cycle ago has all gone down the tubes and you're back to electing liberals again.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Oh please, go ahead and watch the video, it may help. You may notice she asked him about the Massachusetts GOP, NOT the national GOP. If anyone here sees the Massachusetts GOP as being on par with the national GOP now, much less in 2002, then please do a little research before commenting
Ok...so i take it that in this election, you'll turn down all Republican votes from Massachusetts for Romney since those people aren't "really Republicans?"

Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
He was severly conservitive compared to the rest of the Massachusetts government,
No he wasn't. Not even close. Is this conservative:

"Romney supported raising various fees by more than $300 million, including those for driver's licenses, marriage licenses, and gun licenses.[115][127] He increased a special gasoline retailer fee by two cents per gallon, generating about $60 million per year in additional revenue.[115][127] (Opponents said the reliance on fees sometimes imposed a hardship on those who could least afford them.)[127] Romney also closed tax loopholes that brought in another $181 million from businesses over the next two years and over $300 million for his term.[115][133] Romney did so from a sense of rectitude and in the face of conservative and corporate critics that considered them tax increases"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections