Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
He isn't even a 'church leader' much less a 'cult leader'.If the president of the lds church were running for 'president of the United States' you might have an issue worth discussing.
If people won't vote for him or have an unfavorable opinion of him that is in part due to his religion how can he change those peoples' minds if he doesn't discuss it.

It's not something he can "Whitewash" and it's not going away.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You are not voting for religious leader so that person's religion has nothing to do with them being president. Most intelligent people realize that.

Yes, that's why we had some many Conservative claiming President Barack Obama was a Muslim before during and after his election.

But like you said most intelligent people realize that a person's religion has nothing to do with them being president.

I think that tells us everything we need to know about many in the Conservative movement.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM

215 posts, read 308,049 times
Why does it matter?? Only after Obama became politcally involved did he declare himself to be Christian. He does not attend church and abruptly left his radical Christian church in Chicago when it became controversial. He WAS elected--taking the official (private) oath of office without using the Bible. Romney's religion may be controversial...but just because he is a Mormon, it won't prevent people from voting for him!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If people won't vote for him or have an unfavorable opinion of him that is in part due to his religion how can he change those peoples' minds if he doesn't discuss it.

I didn't say he shouldn't discuss his religion....I merely pointed out that he is not a 'church leader' much less a 'cult leader'.He is a member of a church...just like President Obama,Ron Paul,Newt Gingrich,Rick Santorum,etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I don't know how you keep your cool on these forums.
I've had a LOT of practice. I remember the very first time I was told that I wasn't a Christian. One Sunday a little neighbor boy who was about six years old (I was five at the time) went to church with his parents for the first time. After he got home, he came over to my house to play. He told me that he'd been to church and proudly announced, "I'm a Christian." "Oh," I said, "so am I." "No you're not," he answered. "You're a Mormon." This kid was six years old and had been to church once in his life. How do you think he came to his "knowledge" that "Mormons aren't Christians"?

Quote:
I truly had no idea there was so much hatred towards Mormons, but this thread blows my mind. especially from so many on the left. It doesn't seem like any of the conservatives have a problem with Mormonism, in spite of the fact that so many on the left keep telling us Evangelicals won't vote for Romney. I see plenty of anti-Mormon sentiment, but it ain't coming from Romney's right.
Actually, I see it from both sides. I actually can sort of understand the far left's objections to Mormonism easier than I can understand the far right's. Mormonism clearly isn't liberal when it comes to social issues, and I can relate to the concern some people have with the Church's stance on same-sex marriage, for instance. But when it comes to the relationship Mormons have with evangelical Christians, I'm truly baffled. We share so many of their core values that it's hard for me to even relate to their animosity towards us. On the other hand, Mormons are no where near as hostile to the findings of science than most evangelicals are, so I would think that aspect of Mormon theology would appeal to liberals. Everybody seems to have their own reasons for hating Mormons and Mormonism. What I see as truly ironic is that if we truly believed 90% of the stuff we're accused of believing, Mormons would be leaving the Church in droves. People have the most outlandish notions of what Mormonism teaches. I honestly think that if people understood what we really believe and why, they would not necessarily accept our theology, but they would at least be able to make an informed decision on the matter. Most Christians would be surprised if they were to attend a Mormon worship service to see how similar it is to what they're used to. They would find very little with which to take issue.

Quote:
I see the LDS church as a beautiful faith that I personally do not believe. But I've seen it do good things for so many people and I know many people who are so happy to be there. Before you go criticizing their fitness to be president, Mormons, in my observation, are one of the most educated religious groups I've seen, with the more educated ones also being the more religious ones at that.
Thank you. I seriously wish more people were like you, tmsterp.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
I just have to wonder if the practice of "Lying for the Lord" in the Mormon religion (this is Mormon terminology), would interfere with his choices for the leadership of this country.
Uh... This is Mormon terminology? Would you mind quoting your source?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Yes, that's why we had some many Conservative claiming President Barack Obama was a Muslim before during and after his election.

But like you said most intelligent people realize that a person's religion has nothing to do with them being president.

I think that tells us everything we need to know about many in the Conservative movement.

Thanks for sharing.

I guess you are trying to throw that at me, but I actually agree so it won't work. I don't think religion should influence who you vote for for a political position. It would be nice if liberals weren't so two faced about it though and try to use it when it works for them.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:

He gave an entire speech on his faith in 2007, maybe you missed it:

Text of Romney speech - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
He isn't even a 'church leader' much less a 'cult leader'.If the president of the lds church were running for 'president of the United States' you might have an issue worth discussing.
Yes, he was a church leader. Follow the bouncing ball. Pay attention. Look before you leap.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Source: When Should Mitt Romney Talk About His Mormon Faith? - ABC News

It's the relatively undiscussed issue in the election. Is the nation ready to consider the election of someone who is a "cult" leader?

Yes, bigots in Kennedy's day described Catholicism the same way. Romney will never clear that hurdle with the anti religious bigots on the left. But mainstream Americans are much more tolerant.

Last edited by shorebaby; 04-25-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections