Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Advertisements

The Commander-in-Chief gets one chance. This video compares what Obama did and then what Romney would have done or rather, not done.

One Chance. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
It always baffles me how some can predict what someone else would have or would not have done in a given situation. The person not involved would not have all the factors involved to make an informed decision.

All of which means that speculation is just that, speculation.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Only a mindless drone could swallow this twaddle hook, line and sinker.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
The Commander-in-Chief gets one chance. This video compares what Obama did and then what Romney would have done or rather, not done.

One Chance. - YouTube
what a crock of you know what>.first, I think it is deplorable Obamas campaign is Politicalizing the Bin Laden situation and how can anyone project what anyone would have done, given the same situation? I think it is interesting that is the best the left can do. I guess we can see where Obama and his campaign is going from now on: they will spend the next 6 months taking Romney apart, how are you and others gong to react when it backfires?

Oh, one more thing, I have always thought Clinton was as smart as most Pres come, but I guess not; he seems to think we hired Obama, we elected him we did not hire him.

Nita

Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
And Bush did not do the War President thing? This is pretty typical election year stuff.

That said, I think it is a bit of an odd and lame campaign strategy. What we learned about O is that he has some mettle, and that he is deliberate and analytical. That is good news, especially after the "decider." I don't think I would say that Romney could not do it. I've never seen him in the situation.

Although I think the Bin Laden strike was a BFD, I think they should play it cool on that one. It speaks for itself. Recall that the people who saw action all our wars don't usually brag about it. That is the domain of the chickenhawks.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Mitt Romney criticized Obama for vowing to strike
al-Qaeda targets inside Pakistan if necessary.
-Reuters, Aug. 4 2007
---------------------------------------------------------
"It's not worth moving Heaven and Earth spending billions
of dollars just trying to catch one person."
-Mitt Romney
(R) Presidential Candidate
Associated Press
April 26

==========================================
Mitt Romney would be soft on national security. He says so right
here. Of course, he'll say anything on any given day so you really
can't trust him.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Mitt Romney criticized Obama for vowing to strike
al-Qaeda targets inside Pakistan if necessary.
-Reuters, Aug. 4 2007
---------------------------------------------------------
"It's not worth moving Heaven and Earth spending billions
of dollars just trying to catch one person."
-Mitt Romney
(R) Presidential Candidate
Associated Press
April 26

==========================================
Mitt Romney would be soft on national security. He says so right
here. Of course, he'll say anything on any given day so you really
can't trust him.
Funny, the GOP won in 2004 largely because they were fear-mongering (recall Cheney's mushroom cloud line). Then, once they were reelected, they lost their focus. I suppose this is a solid critique. Obama got back on Job 1, and that is why OBL is dead. Good point!

I don't know much about Romney's foreign policy/defense decisionmaking chops under duress, but your post speaks to fundamental different priorities than Obama, and that seems like a very fair comparison. It seems to me that one of the best displays of national defense leadership is clear sense or when to make peace, employ sanctions, threaten and bluster, and secretly go for the kill. Obviously, the last should be used most sparingly.

I just read the full layout in TIME today, and it reminded me that OBL was very smart, crafty dude, and taking him out was a great strategic decision, that I fully support.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 04-29-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
It's interesting, all of the failures of the Obama Presidency are because of Bush, but he claims his few successes as his, and his alone.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
BO hesitated to kill UBL. He wrestled with it. Then he went golfing. Not exactly a warrior president.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampass View Post
BO hesitated to kill UBL. He wrestled with it. Then he went golfing. Not exactly a warrior president.
I think you are dead wrong on this. Macho idiots are a dime a dozen in war as anywhere. Strategists are not.

A smart President thinks before he/she acts. Not like W. A General does the same. Only a fool rushes in without thinking the things through.

Recall the last scenes in the movie Gran Torino. Who was the better warrior, the boy or the old man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections