Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Romney will probably run a closer race in Massachustts than Republicans have since 1992, this could help Brown and Republican hopefulls in the more moderate Congressional Districts (MA-6 and MA-3) by keeping down the amount of Obama voters they need to vote for them and opening up more people to the possibility of voting for a Republican.

It worked in Democrats favor in Arkansas in 1992 and 1996 with Clinton a Democrat in a tradionally Republican state, as welll as Carter in 78.
Now I doubt Romeny will win MA, but he could help the other Republicans looking for a seat in Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Except Romney did NOT run for re-election as gov because he knew he would get beat like a cheap drum.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Except Romney did NOT run for re-election as gov because he knew he would get beat like a cheap drum.
It seemed to me he did it to Run for President, rather than get reelected and neglect his resposibility as governor to Campaign.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,339 times
I think the Brown/Warren race will drive turnout more than anything, on both sides. Who that helps? I'm not sure. I think it helps Democrats overall.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I think the Brown/Warren race will drive turnout more than anything, on both sides. Who that helps? I'm not sure. I think it helps Democrats overall.
Given the political makeup of Massachusetts I agree it will probably help the Democrats a little more. I love Warren and would like to see her win, but Brown is the kind of moderate Republican I can live with. Too bad there aren't more Republicans like him.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It seemed to me he did it to Run for President, rather than get reelected and neglect his resposibility as governor to Campaign.
No, his numbers were fairly poor. He did want to run for President, no question that played a part in it, however the part it played in it was him not wanting to go into running for President after a big loss.

Also Massachusetts is nowhere close to Arkansas circa 1992 and 1996. Arkansas was (and in some cases still is) very Democratic on the local level.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Based off the 2008 Election there where 750,000 more voters in 08 than there was in 2010, most of which went too Democrats, and Scott Brown only got 100,000 more voted than Mccain in 08, So if Romney can sifen off some Democratic votes (he will) it could only help Scott Brown whi is polling higher than Romney in Massachusetts.

This will also Help Republicans in the MA-6 and the MA-3.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,339 times
Quote:
Based off the 2008 Election there where 750,000 more voters in 08 than there was in 2010, most of which went too Democrats, and Scott Brown only got 100,000 more voted than Mccain in 08, So if Romney can sifen off some Democratic votes (he will) it could only help Scott Brown whi is polling higher than Romney in Massachusetts.

This will also Help Republicans in the MA-6 and the MA-3.
I just don't see people in Mass getting fired up to go vote for Romney given he wasn't that popular when he opted not to run for gov again, he's reversed most of his positions since he was gov, and the fact Obama will probably still carry the state. Whereas, Brown has a decent chance of winning and people like him, so I can see Republican's going out to support him.

The reason I think there is an overall benefit to the Dems is I think they have the ability to stage a better GOTV effort than the Republicans do. Unless I'm mistaken on the level of organization the Republican party in Mass has. I could completely see a Republican congressman being elected on Brown's coat tails, even if Brown doesn't win. The 6th (why does anyone vote for Tierney?), 3rd or maybe even the 4th. But I think it will be on Brown's coat tails not Romney's. At any rate, this is definitely one of the more exciting MA elections to watch.

Last edited by beth98; 04-29-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I just don't see people in Mass getting fired up to go vote for Romney given he wasn't that popular when he opted not to run for gov again, he's reversed most of his positions since he was gov, and the fact Obama will probably still carry the state. Whereas, Brown has a decent chance of winning and people like him, so I can see Republican's going out to support him.

The reason I think there is an overall benefit to the Dems is I think they have the ability to stage a better GOTV effort than the Republicans do. Unless I'm mistaken on the level of organization the Republican party in Mass has. I could completely see a Republican congressman being elected on Brown's coat tails, even if Brown doesn't win. The 6th (why does anyone vote for Tierney?), 3rd or maybe even the 4th. But I think it will be on Brown's coat tails not Romney's. At any rate, this is definitely one of the more exciting MA elections to watch.
Teirney and Tsongas could be in trouble, but the 4th District is out of reach for Republicans barring something insane, because a Kennedy is Running, even if Brown wins, and Romney does exceptionally well.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Romney will probably run a closer race in Massachustts than Republicans have since 1992, this could help Brown and Republican hopefulls in the more moderate Congressional Districts (MA-6 and MA-3) by keeping down the amount of Obama voters they need to vote for them and opening up more people to the possibility of voting for a Republican.

It worked in Democrats favor in Arkansas in 1992 and 1996 with Clinton a Democrat in a tradionally Republican state, as welll as Carter in 78.
Now I doubt Romeny will win MA, but he could help the other Republicans looking for a seat in Congress.
of course he might, but he has to carry MA. As for Clinton, no, he did not, until 2010 AR has always been a very Democrat state. Actually they started to change in 2008. Where in the world did you ever get the idea AR was a traditional Republican state?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections