Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 04:23 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

Does it bother any Democrats that on the campaign trail Obama made comments like: “And understand this: If American workers are being denied their right to organize and collectively bargain when I’m in the White House, I’ll put on a put on a comfortable pair of shoes myself. I’ll walk on that picket line with you as president of the United States.”

Despite the fact president Obama:

#1 Does not allow federal workers to gain collective bargaining.

#2 Did not walk with the Wisconsin teacher's union as promised when they lost collective bargaining.

If Obama mentions collective bargaining again in 2012 on the campaign trail, will you believe him?

Flashback from candidate Obama: ‘I’ll walk the picket line with you’*|*Raw Replay

It is toward the end of the video, just fast forward or wait through the other broken promises and false predictions.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 05-18-2012 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
But, but, but, he is so likeable. So likeable, that without a lockdown majority in both houses, he can't get anything done.

Oh, he didn't know about being effective?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Did AFSCME and the teachers unions want Obama in Wisconsin? My understanding is that during the protests, they were still hoping to work out a deal with that lone hold out republican senator (Dale Schultz?) who was the swing vote. They didn't want to make it more partisan than it already was, because in the midwest lots of moderate republicans support unions. The only union leader I ever heard complaining about the president not being there was with the Teamsters, and they weren't in the loop for strategy planning.

Isn't AFGE (American Federation of Government Employees) the union for federal workers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ment_Employees

Last edited by mb1547; 05-18-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Did AFSCME and the teachers unions want Obama in Wisconsin? My understanding is that during the protests, they were still hoping to work out a deal with that lone hold out republican senator (Dale Schultz?) who was the swing vote. They didn't want to make it more partisan than it already was, because in the midwest lots of moderate republicans support unions. The only union leader I ever heard complaining about the president not being there was with the Teamsters, and they weren't in the loop for strategy planning.

Isn't AFGE (American Federation of Government Employees) the union for federal workers?
American Federation of Government Employees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Politfact concurs with me: Obama broke a promise - PolitiFact | The Obameter: Walk with picketers when collective bargaining rights are threatened

Vast majority of federal workers do not have collective bargaining rights. Not all unions have collective bargaining rights. Obama does not support federal workers gaining this right.

Federal Workers thrive without collective bargaining:
Federal Workers Thrive Without Collective Bargaining | Fox News

Yes many teachers in Wisconsin were hoping for Obama to show up. I know personally Wisconsin teachers that were 100% positive that Obama was going to show up with a "pair of comfortable woalking shoes" as promised Some MSNBC pundits thought it was likely that Obama would show up and "walk the picket line" with the teachers.

Labor Protest Leaders "clamored" for Obama to come to Madison and joing the march! Huffington Post article on the Union begging Obama to show up: Wisconsin Protests: Labor Protesters Call On Obama To Join Them In Madison

P.S. You said that the Union didn't want to make it more partisan. You do realize that the Union made posters comparing Walker to Hitler and Mubarak? You do realize the WEA (Wisconsin Teacher's Union) = Democratic Party. Look at who they donate to.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM

"Every single person The Huffington Post interviewed in the Capitol named Obama as their top choice to come out to the rallies."

I felt bad watching MSNBC and all of the people they had that mentioned how Obama would come and keep his promise.....

Wisconsin Protests: Labor Protesters Call On Obama To Join Them In Madison

Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
"Every single person The Huffington Post interviewed in the Capitol named Obama as their top choice to come out to the rallies."

I felt bad watching MSNBC and all of the people they had that mentioned how Obama would come and keep his promise.....

Wisconsin Protests: Labor Protesters Call On Obama To Join Them In Madison

Were they all involved in the strategy planning? If I recall correctly, they were working hard to get Dale Schultz to vote with them right up until the 11th hour, but unfortunately they couldn't get things worked out with him. If they would have turned that into an Obama luv fest there wouldn't have been a chance of working out a deal. I'm a moderate conservative from a family of teachers, many of them union members. Not all conservatives are anti labor, especially if they live in the midwest.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,083 times
Only republicans can flip-flop,democrats merely evolve

Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Were they all involved in the strategy planning? If I recall correctly, they were working hard to get Dale Schultz to vote with them right up until the 11th hour, but unfortunately they couldn't get things worked out with him. If they would have turned that into an Obama luv fest there wouldn't have been a chance of working out a deal. I'm a moderate conservative from a family of teachers, many of them union members. Not all conservatives are anti labor, especially if they live in the midwest.
Your post has no value to my comments. The protests were before and after the vote. Massive amounts of teachers there called on Obama to fulfill his promise. He broke his promise. You have no evidence that any leadership of the WEA asked Obama to stay out. You do have some WEA leaders publicly asking him to come.

Obama broke this promise period. Not only did he break his promise he is hypocritical on the topic. Where is he with collective bargaining for the workers of his federal government?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Your post has no value to my comments. The protests were before and after the vote. Massive amounts of teachers there called on Obama to fulfill his promise. He broke his promise. You have no evidence that any leadership of the WEA asked Obama to stay out. You do have some WEA leaders publicly asking him to come.

Obama broke this promise period. Not only did he break his promise he is hypocritical on the topic. Where is he with collective bargaining for the workers of his federal government?
I've been working campaigns in one way or another for 35 years, and I was a lobbyist myself for a little over 10 years. I do marketing and strategic planning now. The fastest way to sink efforts to pull off a bipartisan agreement is to make it overly partisan for one side or the other. I could care less if you think my comment has not value or not--you obviously don't know diddly squat about politics or how deals are made. They NEEDED that republican senator to vote with them to block the bill, and the fastest way to kill that would have been to start bringing in top national democratic leaders, like the POTUS or the VP--it's pretty obvious that they were trying to find a way for Schultz to save face and vote with them. Unfortunately for the democrats, they couldn't make it work. Shultz is from a district with lots of union members, some of them moderate republicans like him. It didn't work on the Walker bill, but they tried. FYI--he's been the lone republican voting with the D's on a number of issues this year--his vote have the D's enough votes to block the measures.

On a personal level, I could care less if Obama showed up in Wisconsin or not. My issue is that some of you seem to have a big problem with telling the truth. I think people like Scott Walker are in the process of destroying the republican party, and it ticks me off.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I've been working campaigns in one way or another for 35 years, and I was a lobbyist myself for a little over 10 years. I do marketing and strategic planning now. The fastest way to sink efforts to pull off a bipartisan agreement is to make it overly partisan for one side or the other. I could care less if you think my comment has not value or not--you obviously don't know diddly squat about politics or how deals are made. They NEEDED that republican senator to vote with them to block the bill, and the fastest way to kill that would have been to start bringing in top national democratic leaders, like the POTUS or the VP--it's pretty obvious that they were trying to find a way for Schultz to save face and vote with them. Unfortunately for the democrats, they couldn't make it work. Shultz is from a district with lots of union members, some of them moderate republicans like him. It didn't work on the Walker bill, but they tried. FYI--he's been the lone republican voting with the D's on a number of issues this year--his vote have the D's enough votes to block the measures.

On a personal level, I could care less if Obama showed up in Wisconsin or not. My issue is that some of you seem to have a big problem with telling the truth. I think people like Scott Walker are in the process of destroying the republican party, and it ticks me off.
You are the one that has a problem telling the truth.

Obama has broken dozens of promises and most Democrats couldn't seem to care less. They let him get away with it. Make excuses for it. Use the new buzz word "evolve."

Protestors called on Obama to fulfill his promise before and well after it was obvious that Walker won the day on collective bargaining. Obama could have fulfilled his promise after it was obvious with the voted outcome. You are just excuse making and spinning to avoid the truth. You have provided zero evidence to your conspiracy theory.

Bottom Line = Obama broke his promise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections