Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times

Advertisements

This forum is flooded with posts about Obama complaining about how liberal he is and how his pure leftist agenda is destroying the economy. Mitt Romney certain says basically as much in almost ever public appearance. Senator Marco Rubio (R-Florida) is one of the leading candidates to join Mitt as his Vice Presidential candidate.

Should Mitt take Rubio as his running mate, Obama would have a very odd story to tell. Though the sitting President is hailed by the right as being far left, two of his most controversial moves will have been the brainchildren of his two opponents.

In terms of healthcare reform, what was passed into law and called Obamacare is basically the same thing that Mitt passed in Massachusetts and that the Republican Freshman Class put forward in the 90's.

The recent decision by Obama to allow certain illegal immigrants to stay in the country matches a proposal put forward by Rubio as a conservative alternative to the Dream Act. This includes work visas for certain young illegals who have been in the US for a long time.

Should Romney choose Rubio as his running mate, Obama will have pushed in place the healthcare and immigration reforms that were put forward by both his Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM

753 posts, read 843,236 times
LOL. So true. And Rubio has his own 'birther' issues that would tame that witch hunt!

love it.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM

26,577 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
And Rubio has his own 'birther' issues....
as does romney. by mexican law mitt also had mexican citizenship at birth.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
But Romney was born of US parents without doubt. He is n more nt US citzen born than McCain was altho they tried to amke a issue. Rubio isn't goig any where as he did not condem the rule fo law importnace of Obama's Immgration decree. In my opinion that is the real danger with it.Any presdient can now ingore the democratic porcesss and decreee poilcies that are congresses business on mnay things.I would say after eharing him all goig so as illegal to spnish groups i two sppech is is obvious desprtie politcallyto do such a thnig.I don't even favor republican doing these type moves but they will now be common :I am afraid.Alittle bit of dmeocratic processs and rule of law is now loss.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
As far as I know, Mitt has never said the federal government should take over the nation's health care system, which is what obama and the dems did.

States rights....perfectly fine for a state to decide how they want to administer HC in their state.

Obamacare ruling coming next week probably. LOSE-LOSE for obama/dems.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
as does romney. by mexican law mitt also had mexican citizenship at birth.
Mitt was born to 2 US citizen parents in the city of Detroit. You have to be even more insane than the 'birthers' to think there is an issue here.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM

26,577 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Mitt was born to 2 US citizen parents in the city of Detroit. You have to be even more insane than the 'birthers' to think there is an issue here.
i don't think there is an issue, i believe that romney is a natural born citizen by the simple fact that he was a US citizen at birth.

but the claim over the past few years from a section of the birthers is that a person born with multiple citizenships cannot be considered a "natural born citizen". if you buy into that theory then romney is not eligible. mexican citizenship law states that citizens include:

"individuals born abroad if one or both of their parents was a Mexican national born in Mexican territory;"

Mexican nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that would be mitt.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Obamacare ruling coming next week probably. LOSE-LOSE for obama/dems.
I don't think so. If Obamacare survives the conservative statehouse challenges, it will be a big WIN for the the president and the Dems.

What do you think an upholding decision will do? Motivate the GOP base? Hah! Obama's not scared of GOP opposition. His recent bold moves on gay marriage and the Dreamers proves that. If that didn't get the Right Wings panties bunched up, NOTHING will.

No, Obama's only worry now, is that the bad economy will erode some of the support he got last time. That is why he is hedging his bets with social issues.

And for us lefties, universal health care is a social issue

Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I don't think so. If Obamacare survives the conservative statehouse challenges, it will be a big WIN for the the president and the Dems.

What do you think an upholding decision will do? Motivate the GOP base? Hah! Obama's not scared of GOP opposition. His recent bold moves on gay marriage and the Dreamers proves that. If that didn't get the Right Wings panties bunched up, NOTHING will.

No, Obama's only worry now, is that the bad economy will erode some of the support he got last time. That is why he is hedging his bets with social issues.

And for us lefties, universal health care is a social issue

The problem with your assumption is that Obama had the votes of those with social issues last time.

Because of the economy, he will be losing votes. He just brought in 800,000 more people to compete with citizens for jobs. I wonder how those people without jobs will feel about that. Remember, the 800,000 can't LEGALLY vote.

Also remember that there were even teachers that voted for Walker realizing that the economy consists of more than their own pay check. Obama just can't seem to understand that "it's the economy, stupid".

We'll see if Obama is able to get more votes by being the popular frat boy or the Harvard intellectual that he ran on last time. As I'm sure you can remember, the Wisconsin voters were most definately motivated by the economy.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,822 times
No he shouldn't pick Rubio. Enough with the ethnic identity politics. Leave that to the Democrat party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections