Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I voted Mr Rubio for the US Senate to act as a counter-weight to the executive branch, which is a senator's Constitutional duty, and I am expect him to keep doing that over the next four years of his US Senate mandate, assuming that Mr Obama is re-elected, and he would actually be statesman-like if he were to continue to do that in a balanced fashion under a Romney presidency.

But fat chance. At any rate, indeed he is too young to be even considered for the vice presidency.

I wish people would stop these comparisons with Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan was an inspirational leader the likes of whom comes once or twice a century, certainly the only one that I recall in my lifetime in the US, I don't remember anyone comparing Ronald Reagan to, say, Theodore Roosevelt or Abraham Lincoln, mainly because no one during Mr Reagan's time was alive, or hardly, during those previous eras, and that's the way it should be: the next truly inspirational leader should come when I'm dead or at least well into my 80s.

Expect continued mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Good Luck!
Truly inspired, that Reagan...

Economic Policy - The Reagan Years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Truly inspired, that Reagan...

Economic Policy - The Reagan Years
For me the 1970s were an abysmal, depressing time as a young person in the US, horrible, horrible moral message.

Ronald Reagan inspired young people to believe in themselves and the country, that was his main mission, even in his own words.

The economic policy of the 1980s was to initiate the blending of information and telecommunications technology, lower taxes to help finance it, and use it to spread industrialization globally, led by US multinational corporations, and to protect the oil supply militarily. This policy in part also led to the bankruptcy of the Soviet Union, exploiting its own many inefficiencies.

I remember as a teenager reading the Wall Street Journal explaining these incipient changes and warning people to acquire the skills to become competitive globally.

That's what I did.

I do not feel sorry for those lazy idiots - at least 1/3, if not 2/3 of the US population - who did not heed the message the first time and are now, in competitive terms, on about the same level as the average worker in any other newly industrialized country around the globe, and that is exactly what they deserve.

The debt represents the money supply. The question is whether, or to what extent, the money supply is being used efficiently.

A company like Apple uses the money supply efficiently, deadbeats in overpriced McMansions don't.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 AM

26,505 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He is too young. The bosses would do better to hold him back until 2016 when the office will be open. No point in risking hurting his reputation in a losing effort this year.
Is he too young or too inexperienced like the Junior Senator from Illinois in 2008. Perhaps the Democrats should have held Obama back for a few years - then he could have been a better president down the road - then Hillary, a real leader, could potentially be doing some good for the country today.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Is he too young or too inexperienced like the Junior Senator from Illinois in 2008. Perhaps the Democrats should have held Obama back for a few years - then he could have been a better president down the road - then Hillary, a real leader, could potentially be doing some good for the country today.
Nice theory but I think most of Pres. Obama's missteps have come from his beliefs w/ regard to economics. He really seems to believe that the economy can be improved by expanding the public sector. Consider his recent statement that the private sector is doing fine, and the way out of the economic doldrums is to hire more cops, teachers, and bureaucrats.

Would he have changed his mind with age? I doubt it. It is the rare person who changes their mind on such basic beliefs after age 50.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Marco Rubio is Ronald Reagan 2.0

Yes. Both believe in violating the laws of our national. Rubio talked this week about how he'd violate federal immigration laws, given the opportunity. Rubio's gay, though. Reagan, though he hired many gays in his adminstration, including an Attorney General, was straight. Or so he said.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
After reading up on Ronald Reagan in the past week I'm more convinced than ever that Rubio is Reagan 2.0

Watch this speech and tell me if you do not agree:

Marco Rubio CPAC Address - YouTube

Ronald Reagan Speech - 1964 Republican National Convention - YouTube

Interesting how Reagan references Cuba in his speech.
The Cubans, being conservative or pretty much so, did absolutely live Reagan and when I think of finding another Reagan, Rubio comes to my mind immediately. Of course he is younger and from a totally different background but has some of the same qualities as Reagan. one being, he is an excellent speaker and he can rally people around him.

Nita

Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Reagan 2.0 you mean he too is worthless?

Well based on his performance I'd agree he is. Certainly not qualified to be president. Anyone that is Dick Cheney's choice I would have to vigorously oppose.
it amazes me when people make these kinds of comments when you wouldn't vote for him no matter what... Now you have that off your chest, do you feel better?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He is too young. The bosses would do better to hold him back until 2016 when the office will be open. No point in risking hurting his reputation in a losing effort this year.
I am inclined to agree with you on the age part, but win or lose in November, he will not be hurt. Unless we learn something about him that is very negative, he is here to stay...

Nita

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Yes. Both believe in violating the laws of our national. Rubio talked this week about how he'd violate federal immigration laws, given the opportunity. Rubio's gay, though. Reagan, though he hired many gays in his adminstration, including an Attorney General, was straight. Or so he said.
Now, can you explain where you get the gay part, whether talking about Rubio or Reagan for that matter? And do fill us in on which Attoney General was gay, it certainly wasn't Ed Meese...

If all this is or was true, which I can assure you and I know what I am talking about, it is not true, who gives a darn? I don't know about the libs, but most of us, GOPer will not be basing our vote on gay versus straight or Morman versus whatever...

Nita

Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Duly noted and archived, to be quoted upon every inane comment from you, from now 'till kingdom come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections